“Best hostel I've ever been to.. Hands down”
Review of Tucano House

and 1 more site!
Tucano House
Ranked #30 of 253 Florianopolis B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Best hostel I've ever been to.. Hands down”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was easily the best hostel I've ever been to; especially in South America. The facilities are clean and well-kept. Great atmosphere and fantastic food. In fact, I still carry their business card in my wallet, and I've been back in Canada for 6 months now. I have recommended Tucano House to many people, and I will continue to do so!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This might be a great option for single people willing to make friends and havê some fun. It fits very well for backpackers but if you're going to Floripa with your girlfriend is better stay away.
I rented the private room and is not worth the price (R$ 200). The room looks a bit old, the ventilator barely works and the noise is very high at night. We could not sleep well.
They only accept money as payment.
The staff is very helpful and breakfast is decent.
The hostel hás already been chosen as the best in South America and is hard to believe.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fernandolpsfreire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Having travelled Brazil and stayed in numerous hostels i can say without doubt this was the best experience we had as a group. The rooms were clean the food was excellent and good value. The staff were all lovely and always very helpful. One of the staff Sylvia took our group out after she had finished work to show us the town and the best places to go out, which was above and beyond what we expected.

I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Thank you Suellen, Lila, Sol, Adriano, Paula, Caio, Marco and Joana for the great time we had at your hostel.

Suellen especially was very patient with all my stupid questions, and Manau, the bartender, was a trooper. So what if he cut me off the last night we were there. I WAS drinking too much.

I also would like to thank the nice man who took us to Praia Riozinho. I have his name written down somewhere, I hope.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience here, as it was my first time traveling solo. The hostel has a great and friendly staff, organizes great activities everyday, have great buffets, is pretty well located near to lively district of the island, is clean... I'll go back there for sure!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank merou14
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hostel was excellent, so much so, that we extended our stay here. The staff are amazingly helpful and always happy and approachable; the cleaners were always hard at work throughout the day, as it showed, as the whole place was spotless at all times. The rooms were a good size and everyone just always seemed to be enjoying themselves, staff and guests.
The location is perfect, it is close to the centre where there are plenty of bars and restaurants, within 10 minutes walk or you can get a bus or taxi to nearby beaches.
Each day the hostel has something arranged for day trips and places to go out at night.
The breakfast was good, however, their dinners are incredible; purely on the variety each day. They serve different cuisines each night, and the night you choose not to sign up for the dinner or they are too full is the night you will definitely get food envy. Be aware though, that the dinners are at an extra cost, so if you are on a budget you may be able to find cheaper dinners in the centre. (they're still worth it though)
From the 5 months of staying in hostels in Brazil, Tucano was the most expensive, although you definitely see what you are paying for. So if you feel like treating yourself, definitely stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Tucano is easily the best hostel I've stayed in. I was planning to spend two days there and ended up staying for 10.

The staff! They are all super friendly, always smiling and all the women are HOT! The cleaning staff do an incredible job and everywhere is very very clean!

The food! The chef is a genius. They cook a different dinner every night and it's all you can eat and is just amazing. In 10 days I never went elsewhere for dinner because it was so good to eat as the hostel. All the guests eat and drink together and given that the hostel isn't too big, it creates a really nice social atmosphere. I ate Brazilian, Indian, Thai, Italian, BBQ etc on all the different nights and it was always delicious and great value.

Location! It's very close to the town centre where all the bars are (less than 5 minutes walk) and the lake (I spent a lot of time paddleboarding and kitesurfing). I've seen some people moaning that it's far from the beach (40 minute walk or 10 minute cab) - but there's isn't really anything else at the beach (other than a couple of restaurants) so it makes much more sense to stay close to town.

The rooms! I stayed in the double rooms for the first few nights with my girlfriend, then moved to a dorm when I was by myself. Both were clean, full of light and very nice.

I could go on and on, but I would just suggest booking and seeing for yourself. These guys have really nailed the hostel experience and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in 3 different rooms over 10 days and they were all awesome.