“Location is ok. But stay away!”

Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista
Ranked #24 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Los Angeles, California
“Location is ok. But stay away!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is its location. But there are many other hotels around the area.
Stay away from this hotel especially if you are on business trip. First, the free internet service is a joke. It is sloooow. It maybe only good for IM. For other purposes, I ensure you that you will have to purchase regular speed internet at $10 Real per day. No weekly rate is available. Second, restaurant and room service is sloooow. Very few people dine at the restaurant. But it took me more than 2 hours for a simple meal at the restaurant. And it took more than 1 hour for the room service to arrive. This is not acceptable for people with busy schedule. Third, the front desk is very unfriendly and unreasonable. My colleague has to extend his stay for one night. Front desk does not allow him to stay. While the guy at front desk did not even bother to look into their reservation system, he told us at 10:30 PM that more guests will check in and my colleague has to check out right away.

1 Thank gordoncg
, Gerente at Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista, responded to this review, 2 October 2016

How are you?

I am the new manager of the hotel! It was a huge pleasure to welcome you to Golden Tulip São Paulo Paulista, the old Belas Artes.

I am reading all the comments posted so we can keep what is good and improve what needs to be better.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this exchange with our guests is essential for us!

I would like to invite you to return soon, It will be a huge pleasure to welcome you again. In case of any need, do not hesitate to contact me.

Operations manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 14 October 2013

At first glance this hotel seems really nice. It goes down hill very fast though. When my two coworkers and I showed up in the morning with reservations after an overnight flight it took over 30 minutes to check in. We noticed they had chairs by the check in desk and wondered what they were for. We quickly realized why after spending a good part of the morning checking in and that was with nobody in front of us.

Next, the restaurant looked like a great place for dinner. DO NOT eat there. It appeared the waiter was not only the waiter but the host, the bus boy, the cook and probably the dish washer. It took over an hour to get our check. He apologized but said they were under staffed. Not what you'd expect from a restaurant at a $250 per night hotel.

We got to the rooms and they were big and nice looking. When I woke up in the morning I got in the shower and NO hot water. I told my two coworkers about that and they didn't have hot water either and were on different floors. Seriously, no hot water?

Really the only good things about this place were the size of the room, comfortable bed and quietness of it. This could be a great hotel but something has gone very wrong here. Do not waste your money!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MateoVerito
CarlosEduardoLima, Front Office Manager at Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Mr. Mateo,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at the Golden Tulip Belas Artes. We are sorry that your experience has not met to your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are very sorry about all the troubles related, these matters are being taken care closely, and we will be glad to have you here again, so you can see the changes.

Pamella Rego
Niterói - Brazil
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I chose this hotel due to having stayed there previously but apparently the hotel has dropped quaite a bit in terms of quality and maintenance. The air conditioning broke down two nights following, in such a way as waking me up in the middle of the night, all sweaty. The result was feeling sleepy all through the next day at a Congress. Also, I observed that the floors are in need of repair - the lino is coming away in patches. Summarizing, keep away until they undergo a refit or a change in management...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Alf_Bacon
CarlosEduardoLima, Gerente de recepção at Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at the Golden Tulip Belas Artes. We are sorry that your experience have not met to your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

It’s very nice for us listen from our guest their opinion about our service quality. For sure we will share your compliments about the breakfast and the restaurant and we have shared with our team your opinion about our hotel.

We hope to receive you in the near future to change all your concerns and welcome you back.

Pamella Rego
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I can only advice you to spend a bit more and this way you are sure to be somewhere worth it! This city is not cheap at all, so if you need to spend it well better do it to something you are sure youbwill like! Where to start: I was put up by my company in this hotel, so it was not my choice.

EVERYTHING is dated: the rooms are all of a brown decor , way passed this time. It all looks very worn out and used. The bathroom: 3 types of lightbulbs which make it a bit strange when looking in the mirror. The bathtub doesnot not look clean at all as there are cracks and stains everywhere. The knobs from the faucets sqeek and crack when turned on.
The tv should have loads of channels, but few work ( maintenance couldnot fix it)
The safe - once locked- could not be opened again (aga in maintenance had to open it again)
The airconditioning makes the equivelant noise of a 747 taking off...
The rooms are very noisy too:(no joke) i could hear my neigbors doing their business in the bathroom.
Windows are not doubled: you hear the traffic day and night, people on the streets and music! So bring you earplugs!
La st but not least: they are doing some refurbishing as well: so lots of banging and the housekeepingstaff reallynenjoys screaming tomeach other from room to room.

It is NOT a room / hotel that welcomes you at all or invites you to stay in ...

The staff is not the friendliest I have encountered during my travels. Many of them ( except the front desk).
Breakfast is very basic... For someone who cannot eat gluten, well there is a minimal choice.

So again not worth at all

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank terrencets

Lone Tree, CO
Reviewed 23 March 2013

If one is looking for a CHEAP hotel in Sao Paolo, you are in luck. This hotel is cheap in every sense of the word and is the quintessential argument against taking chances on unfamiliar boutique hotel properties when on a business trip. Where do I start? Firstly, visuals in advertisements and hotel website do not (may I repeat... DO NOT) reflect actual conditions in this hotel. Elevators are slow and dated. Corridors are dark. Wood veneered floor in my room is peeling. Bathroom walls, tub, bidet and toilet have seen better years. While the location is only a block from Avenida Paulista , Frei Caneca, the street where this hotel is located is dark at night. Walking alone to the hotel after dusk can be very dangerous. Homeless characters roam and homeless people are often seen relieving themselves in the the shadows. Unreliable internet access (at extra charge) only allows a single devise per room. With business travel requiring at least 2 devises (computer and smart phone), clearly, this hotel is the wrong choice for those of us who travel for work. Front office folks say the right things. But that is where it ends. Service is almost none existent. Oh... I have one positive thing to say. Buffet breakfast (with cook to order omelets) comes with the room. Overall, the The Golden Tulip Belas Artes offers very low quality cheap hotel experience with somewhat good breakfast. Definitely, this property should not be considered when traveling on business.

2 Thank AlinDenver

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel whilst on a business trip to Sao Paulo.

Given the high prices of hotels in this city I would say this hotel is reasonable value for money. I noticed that the majority of guest seemed to be tourists rather than business people suggesting that this hotel does a lot of discount packages.

The hotel is situated is an area that looks a bit run down, even though only 2-3 minutes walk from Avenue Paulista (one of the main thoroughfares in SP). I felt ok walking around at night by the hotel but only just.

My room was spacious and clean. However despite the large room size the desk was ridicuously small and made it hard for me to work. Well appointed bath room with seperate walk in shower . The water pressure in the shower was fantastic. The bath was also a jacuzzi but I didn't try it. Bed was quite comfortable and large (Super king). The air-con was a bit noisy but effective.

The room faced the back gaden of the hotel....not much of a view and the windows were quite small.

Like a lot of hotel rooms there was no enough light, both natural and artificial. The cupboards were spacious but old and the drawers hard to use. Seems like this hotel is not in the habit of checking the rooms regularly to ensure everything works.

Internet in the room and public areas was satisfactory. I asked for multiple devices which was provided FoC although I overheard other guests complaining about this. The internet service seemed to work most of the time at decent speed and was reasonably priced.

Breakfast was a disappointment (buffet). Decent selection of fresh fruits but the rest of food just didn't taste good. You couldn't get a latte...just filter type coffee.

Didn't have room service or dinner in the hotel. Seemed pricey and based on breakfast I guessed was going to be pretty ordinary. I took a recommendation from the concierge for dinner at a local restaurant which was simply appalling!

I had some laundry done at a ridiculous price. Standard service was next day...you needed to pay 50% extra form same night or 100% extra for express service. A total rip-off. I opted for the same night service and the laundry was returned after just 2 hours! Maybe I should feel I got a discount on the express service!

I didn't get the time to use the gym or indoor pool so no comment on these.

So net net...it was ok but this hotel at the price they charge could, and should, do better.

1 Thank Jgordon1

Atlanta
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed at the hotel in March 2013 for one night and it is a hotel with rather large rooms, comfortable beds, good working airconditioning. However the rooms are dated in regard of the furniture and the bath looks 70ties style. The internet connection and the new flat screen 48 inch TV worked however fine.
The style of the hotel is a bit blunt, very few decorations - specifically the lobby is rather cold in appearance. The restaurant was clean, comparatively small versus other ameneties and service was up to the middle class standard one would anticipate however a bit on the slow side, breakfast - oh well a bit scarce in choices.
All in all a hotel close to Rua Paulista, with a worthwihle 'middle class' shopping center in walking distance (3 minutes) and addecent selection of typical local stores around the block, Seems not to be very secure at night, when walking in the "wrong' direction - use discretion!
Pan handlers are crossing your path in Sao Paulo often, so don't get upset, but don't take out your cash either ...