“Friendly, safe”

3Dogs Hostel
Malmo, Sweden
“Friendly, safe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

My overall feeling towards 3Dogs can be summed up in the fact that I stayed there a lot longer than I had originally planned. It felt like the kind of place that can become a home away from home, even if it's only for a short while. With that said, I'll let the rest of my review be down-to-business.

ATMOSPHERE: Friendly and warm. People seem to connect; they hang out in the back garden, go clubbing, and cook together. It feels like a pretty hip place without being an outright party hostel, and maintains a good mix of age groups. The staff knows about clubs, events and pub crawls going on around the city.

SERVICE: Hostels normally employ travelers who stay and work for a few months to then be replaced by others. This means it's always difficult to say something about the service which will hold true into the future. What I CAN say is that during my stay the service was excellent, and that the owners themselves are friendly and accommodating.

FACILITIES: First things first. Best breakfast I had on my South American trip (which lasted for most of 2013). Bread fresh out of the oven, jam, cheese, ham, eggs, fruit, coffee, tea, milk, drinking chocolate and home baked banana cake. Kitchen with stove, oven, microwave, fridge and freezer. Drinks, beers and wine. Good WiFi. My one gripe would be that there's no rec room with billiards, games, etc.

VALUE: Taking into consideration the metro close-by and the included breakfast I'd say you get a lot for your money.

CLEANLINESS: I'd put 3Dogs among the cleaner hostels I've stayed at. I appreciated that the cleaning help came early in the morning and seemed thorough.

LOCATION: Close to the metro, and a relatively central location. The neighborhood is quiet and safe. I never had any unpleasant experiences going to and from the hostel at all times of day, nor did I hear anyone else mention anything of the sort.

ROOMS: Nice selection of privates and dorms. Most of the private rooms have their own style and atmosphere that sets them apart from each other, and also makes them feel a lot more distinct than your standard, non-descript hostel rooms (of which I've seen enough to last me a lifetime). Lockers for your belongings. Even the small ones will comfortably fit your valuables.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emil S

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had a really nice time at this hostel. The location is excellent (5 min walk from Metro) and the place is funky but safe and secure. Great staff and the place just seems to attract friendly guests with a really relaxed and fun vibe.

We booked online and the amenities and pictures matched exactly as outlined - you get what you pay for and we were very happy with our choice. Comfortable beds, clean

It would be good if the staff wore badges (or a t-shirt or lanyard?) as they were incredibly helpful, pleasant and attentive, but it did take a while to work out who was an employee and who wasn't.

We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lee G
Murcia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I spent several weeks at 3Dogs hostel. The banana cake for breakfast was always delicious, and the people who work there are very cool. They have high-speed internet (which is awesome, because most hostels have really low wifi speeds). I also felt secure staying there because of the neighborhood, and there was a staff-member working 24 hours of the day.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room. They are farther from the kitchen/common area so they are quiter, and they get...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Very friendly people! Best Caipiriniha and always good tips. The hip party-street Augusta is nearby as well as the metro station Brigadero. Perfect starting point to visit all the places in Sao Paulo.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Very pleasant and welcoming hostel in a good area. As described and worked well. Owner very friendly and gave good advice on local restaurants.

One issue that is worth considering if you are taking a youth group. We booked and had confirmed exclusive use of rooms - including paying for additional beds that we would keep empty - for safeguarding reasons. On arrival, some of the beds we had booked were occupied by long-term guests so we had to share and were refused a refund of the beds we had paid for and weren't able to use. Oh - and despite agreeing an early breakfast it wasn't, meaning we were late leaving.

Had the owners dealt with the bed issue honourably, I would have given a very good overall rating and good for value.

Room Tip: It's a lottery!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3DogsHostel, Proprietário at 3Dogs Hostel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Hi there and thank you for rating 3Dogs!
We're terribly sorry about the bed mix-up, and take full responsibility. We were under the impression that the issue as far as money was concerned had been remedied, but apparently it hasn't. We will send you an email about it, and hopefully can still come to a satisfactory agreement.
Thanks for staying with us and we hope your camping trip was as good as it was planned to be!
Padua, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed 2 months in this hostel and i really recommend it. It's in the middle of a green area (and it's very difficult to find something like this in Sao Paulo), but really close to the city centre in the meantime. Rooms are clean and there's a very big backyard with many sofas where hosts can relax.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

It was our first hostel in Sao Paulo and everybody welcomed us with open arms. Good showers and clean. We were in the 10 bedded dorm which is next to the kitchen. I think the other rooms are more quiet but I always sleep with earplugs so I had no problems with noise at all!! My co traveler had a good sleep as well. Will come back in spring!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple