“Major Improvements”

Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel
Ranked #7 of 326 Hotels in Sao Paulo
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Have been staying in this hotel since it opened. A while back the hotel was between GM's and it was apparent. I am not sure if new GM is in place but my last three visits were great. Rooms need a bit of upgrading but lobby is very nice and concierge lounge is very good, with great view and good food and beverage. Staff at lounge access area are amazing. Location of course is great. Staff attitude has been improved greatly and now attentive but not smothering. Senior staff visible, always a good sign If new manager is in place "thanks and great job" if not, well someone deserves some credit here. thanks to the whole staff!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade for concierge access, well worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
RenaissanceSP, Manager at Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear guest, I am thrilled to receive your review and your feedback! I will certainly share your comments with our entire staff.
Also, I am happy to say that we have a rooms renovation scheduled to happen before the end of 2012, and that very soon we will be able to offer upgraded rooms to our valued guests!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Sao Paulo!

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Very good hotel in fantastic location. Great rooms with excellent beds and linens. The lobby is stylish and the sushi in the lobby restaurant is wonderful. I would have given this 5 stars, but two things dropped this a notch:

1) the air conditioning was surprisingly loud; I had to turn it off several times because it kept waking me up. Unfortunately, the room was warm w/o the air-con running....so I'd wake up from being too hot and turned on the air-con....then wake up from the noise it was making. On the 3rd night I banged the vent a few times and that seemed to lessen the noise. (maybe that was psychological - but it worked).

2). The restaurant (I think it's called Jardiner or something) - was simply terrible. Possibly the worst meal of my life, and Sao Paulo has some of the best food on the planet! Absolutely dreadful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
RenaissanceSP, Manager at Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us!
We were very happy to receive your kind words about our rooms and beds, as well as your comments about our “ Living Lounge Bar & Sushi” , located at lobby level. We receive many positive comments on the great quality of our sushi, and we are certainly proud of it!
it appears we failed to meet expectations at our main restaurant, and for that I am truly sorry. I have personally shared your feedback with our team. Also, we were able to inspect the air conditioning in the room where you stayed, and can assure you that the problem has been fixed.
Again, thank you for your comments and feedback!
We look forward to welcoming you back at our Hotel during your next visit to Sao Paulo!
Vanessa Martins | Director of Operations

Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our first stop of our first trip to South America. The Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel is conveniently located to shopping, museums and parks. We walked everywhere and felt safe. The hotel is modern, clean and friendly. Our room was on the 23rd floor (Club level) so we had great views of the city as well as access to wi-fi, breakfast, evening hors d' oeuvres and cocktails - a nice touch after a busy day out. The Navigator (concierge) was very helpful with maps and suggestions. this was an excellent use of our Marriott Rewards points!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pmlago

Dear guest, First and foremost, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott! As a Marriott Rewards member, the quality of your experience is our first priority. It is great to hear that you had a good time visiting our neighborhood, "Jardins", and that our team of Navigators were able to provide good tips of walking distance places to go... They are local experts and are always in the know about what is happening in the city.
Also, we are very happy that you enjoyed everything our Club Lounge on the 23rd Floor has to offer, including the impressive views! We look forward to welcoming you back to Sao Paulo!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have spent 3 nights at this hotel this April, after almost 3 years.
The hotel maintains the good quality of its services, with staff that are very willing to assist you. The room was very comfortable and very well maintained.
I only had breakfast at the hotel, but again I was happily surprised by the variaty of fruit, croassants, and excelent service of its staff.
Even the Friday was the beginning of a long week end, which meant not that much guests at the hotel, the service was first class.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest, We are happy to receive your review and your feedback!
I will share your feedback with our entire staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sao Paulo!

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for two nights in March on business.

Pros
Gorgeous public areas. The bar is nice and there's this great chillout space in the back by the restaurant/breakfast area. All very modern and sleek.
GREAT gym. Really big for a hotel gym with lots of equipment.
Great grocery story a block or two away. (Pao de Azucar or however you spell it.)
Nice sushi bar in the lobby where I ate one night.
Nice location. Margherita's pizza down the road is quite lively and fun on a Sunday night.
Great breakfast. They'll make you omelets. (My breakfast was included in my rate.)

Cons
The rooms are old. Ugly carpet.
The bathroom was a bit run down and the shower was very small. (Although I appreciated the little metal ledge thingie to help you shave your legs.)
I had a bottle of Evian from the plane that I brought with me to the hotel. Housekeeping thought it was the hotel's Evian (although my bottle was in English and their's in Portuguese) so I had to get that removed from my bill. A minor quibble though because as soon as I showed them my bottle of Evian, they were cool.

I guess my thought it that you could end up paying a lot for this and I've stayed at nicer hotels for the same or less.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Love this Hotel but not overly keen on Sao Paulo. The large reception area is in the main entrance which is shared by a large open planned bar with comfortable seating. Coffee is also served which has to be the best I have tasted. The staff in the Bar and Reception area are simply great, very friendly, professional and polite and a pleasure to deal with.

My room on the 2nd floor was spacious and clean with a large bathroom. It was nice to have the choice of the walk in shower or separate bath tub. In the room there is a mini bar and flat screen TV with a good choice of channels. I had two double beds and great soft pillows. Food and snacks in the hotel is of a high quality however it tends to be on the expensive side. Generally Brazil is quite expensive.

In the vicinity of the Hotel there are a few bars and restaurants but if going out at night its advisable to be in either a group or take a taxi.

Although not one of my favourite destinations its always a pleasure to stay at this Hotel, having visited many times the staff still retain there smiles, friendly and accommodating nature. Excellent.

Worth mentioning is the great Gym and Spa adjacent to a small but nice outdoor pool. Spa prices were quite expensive 88 Brazillian Real for a 30 min massage.

Room Tip: Opposite the front of the Hotel there is some construction work taking place. Although I had a side...
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Overall I have mixed reviews of this hotel. It has been upgraded and the general appearance looks fresh. The hotel is in a good central location within walking distance to several restaurants. Nice reception area and lobby bar. The restaurant at the hotel has an excellent lunch buffet. If you upgrade or have Gold status you will enjoy the amenities of the Executive Lounge on the 23rd floor with a good view and an excellent selection of snacks and drinks along with morning breakfast. Although the rooms are upgraded, some travelers will find the size of the rooms are small (similar to many European hotels). The worst part was that the walls seem paper-thin. I heard a lot of noise from children in another room and the TV was on early in the morning which woke me in the morning. The rates of the rooms fluctuate a lot and can be quite expensive.