“A hotel that won't let you sleep”

Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel
Ranked #9 of 328 Hotels in Sao Paulo
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Absolutely awful. Allocated a room right next to the lifts and in front of the Housekeeping access door. Arrived at 10:30 am after a night flight and needed a sleep.

Kept awake constantly by housekeeping staff yabbering in the corridor outside, shouting into their radios and the sound of the lifts chiming every 20-30 seconds.

Phoned reception, asked to be moved. Promised a call back. Nothing. Two hours passed. Called again. Told hotel was full and would I like a cup of tea on the house. I kid you not.

Apparently, Hotel full and no chance to be moved. Offered ear plugs and Internet.

10pm tonight, staff (3 of them) holding open lift doors and almost shouting at each other to communicate. Offered another apology as I confronted them to keep the noise down.

I will not be choosing to stay here again. Appalling.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank colinmh23
Write a ReviewReviews (2,123)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just stayed there for 4 nights Oct 19-23, 2013 on business. I was impressed with the great customer service at this hotel and felt very safe in both the hotel and surrounding neighborhood. There is some great shopping nearby and a big Starbucks right across the street. The price was a little expensive but the room was comfortable, the view terrific and I never heard a sound outside the room at night. I am an elite gold member for Marriott so I did have access to the club. I will say this club has the most amazing view of Sao Paulo of any club I have ever seen. Great hotel and I would recoemmend it to colleagues and friends.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. The views are amazing on the higher floors
2  Thank livingintampa
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance for a few nights. I was only in town for a few days on business and my conference was at the Amcham. We decided to stay at this hotel because of the brand name and listed amenities (including bilingual staff and close to shopping and restaurants). This was the best decision. The hotel was nice and clean. Its worth it to have club access. My room was on the 21st floor. I experienced none of the noise issues that people previously posted. Great for a business traveler. The hotel was walking distance to Ave Paulista and the MASP. We were two females in a strange city and spoke no Portugese (my friend did speak Spanish). We felt very safe. if you go, please speak to Diego at the concierge in the lobby. Even though we had access to the club concierge, we used Diego. He was so nice and so accomodating. If I ever return to Sao Paulo, I will stay here for sure.

Room Tip: Higher floor, pay for the club access.
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Handsome hotel, great location. A lot is right with this hotel - for a big, high rise aimed at business travelers. Good location. World class fitness center with a great place for something light to eat right next to it. Nice lobby. Good service. Large, modern, comfortable rooms with great views (and amazing black-out shades). Pool (if you have the time).

Elevators are an issue. There is a bank of 6, but only 2 seem to be working at any given time. Signals that alert you the elevator has arrived stop showing if the car is going up or down as soon as they ring - so you constantly get into an elevator going the wrong way. Plus, elevators require your magnetic stripe room key to access your floor. But built-in reader is really bad. Every ride you see some poor soul (including myself) putting his/her card in and out over and over, then missing their floor. You have to build extra time into your day to make sure you can actually go where you want to on the elevator.

Great Caprinhas at the lobby bar. But had lunch there with questionable results. We ordered a Brazilian roast chicken dish for around $22. Waiter insisted that we had to let him know how we wanted our chicken cooked. Rare, medium rare or well done?!!?! I questioned him 3 times about whether this was really the case. Finally ordered it however the chef thinks it should be done. Chicken piece was the drumette portion of a wing. That's it. Over rice.

Bottom line. Better than most hotels in Sao Paulo, but some ups and downs.

Room Tip: Get high (floor that is)
1  Thank Triumph826
Reviewed 26 October 2013

First time at this hotel and I was very pleased. I had stayed on one of their pure level floors with access to a great lounge with breakfast and happy hour access. Food and drink was excellent. Rooms are updated and comfortable with all the amenities needed for business travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to their executive floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I just came back from this hotel that has a very nice lobby. And this is where the nice stops. The rooms are as simple as a Novotel and you pay three times the price. I would give the hotel a higher rating if the price was more in line with what you get.
As many people complained in this board, there is constant noises at night. I could clearly hear my neighbours TV, coughing, use of washroom and other noises and thanks to this I could not sleep well.
Service is just ok, nothing beyond expectations.
Washroom tub was moulded and frankly I would never take a bath in it.
Somehow the place is busy anyway so people seem to like it.
I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: I don't think you could get a good room in this hotel.
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The hall is very nice, and the personnel very friendly. Unluckily my room (1214) was very noisy since it was disturbed by the neighbours (it seems there is not sound insulation) and by a continuos noise of water dropping from some unknown place to another. Over 400 USD for such room, without breakfast, seems to be too much. Last time I stayed in an executive room in this hotel and it was much much better. Hence my suggestion is: do reserve an executive room

• Stayed: October 2013