“Disappointing hotel in Sao Paulo”

Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera
Ranked #46 of 326 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel has a lot of potential, it has a nice location close to the city airport, and has an attractive lobby and drive up appeal. The rooms are also OK, if a little dated. It just does not seem well run. Here is a list of problems we had (3 of us on a recent business trip):
The check-in process was painfully slow. When we arrived there were two agents checking in, but one of them decided it was important to walk around behind the counter shuffling papers than to welcome the new guests and check us in. By the time I was checked in we had been there for almost 25 minutes. Then one of my colleagues got stuck in one of the 3 creaky elevators and had to be extracted out of a half open elevator stuck between floors. I waited 15 minutes for an elevator to arrive. The wifi logging on process is complex and required several calls to the front desk for all 3 of us until we were finally logged onto a painfully slow internet. My colleague tried to get an iron and ironing board which never showed up, and my toilet plugged up and it took all day to get it working again. The hotel does not exchange money but happily gives you cash, adding it to your bill with a 20% charge, which they neglected to mention when they cheerfully offered this service. The bar is run very inefficiently, with long waits for service and it was impossible to get any bills because the system was having problems. We had to wait for checkout to have any concept of what we were being charged for our after dinner drinks.
The ingredients for a nice property worth frequent visits are there. It just needs someone to get the staff more passionatly focused on the details of running a world class business hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Alejandro G, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Mr. Peter v,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

We regret to hear that your experience at Mercure Grand Hotel Parque do Ibirapuera was not up to your expectations, as our first and most important goal is to offer each of our guests a memorable experience.

Please be assured that your opinion is taken very seriously and the mentioned topics were submitted directly to the respective department’s management.

Our hotel is committed to always providing excellent and sincere service following Accor´s global standards.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Grand Hotel and have the chance to win back your confidence.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

all what you expect once you book a Mercure in a big city: it is the Parque do Ibirapuera. The rooms are big and clean, breakfast covers everything with lots of fresh stuff, the service is nice, etc. The hotel is not too far away but not in the spot of SP, anyhow, I felt good during my stay. The staff could be more fit in speaking english, but ...who cares ;-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Alejandro G, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear thoschdo,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Mercure Grand Parque do Ibirapuera, we are very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel. We apologize for the staff issue, and be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here and was pleased both with my room and the hotel. It has a good location, is clean and well staffed. Over all this hotel met virtually all of my expectations other than the gym being under renovation. this caused you to have to enter through tht epool which opens at 8am. A challenge if you want to go to the gym before you work. Breakfast was good. overall this is a good value for the money.

Room Tip: higher is better
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Alejandro G, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear ANP123,
Thank you very much for taking part of your time to write a review about Mercure Grand Hotel Parque do Ibirapuera. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Your comments were appreciated and highly considered.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is on the surface a nice hotel. Well located, friendly staff, good gym etc. but it has several issues which mar it being somewhere I would recommend. Fix these and it would be great. Issues include:

1. Smell of disinfectant everywhere
2. Small DIY jobs(paint cracking, holes where old lift buttons have been removed, broken lift) which need completing making it all a bit tatty
3. No free water in the rooms only in the minbar. São Paulo water is not 100% recommended for drinking
4. No irons/ironing board in rooms and the one I was given was absolutely rubbish.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Alejandro G, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Claude K,
Thank you for sharing your experience about Mercure Grand Hotel Parque do Ibirapuera. It’s always a pleasure to know our guest’s experience at our hotel.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may had during your stay at our hotel. At this moment we are going through some remodeling in some areas to provide you a better service.
We have a complementary bottle of water available in our Privilege rooms.
For security reason we do not have Iron and Ironing board in the room, but as an alternative we offer pressing service.
We hope to receive you back in a close future!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have been staying at the Mercure Grand during the past two years and I really appreciate the consistency of their service and facilities. Even arriving in the early morning hours (thanks to funny flight schedules), they appeared to expect me and made sure I got exactly the same room as on the previous trip as I commented once before that I preferred it that way. Location is good, even if not right in the dining hot spots. It is easy to get to the ring road, which means that it is relatively (as good as it can be in SP) easy to get from the hotel to the airport etc. The lounge area makes for a very comfortable space to have business meetings and even a light lunch or pre-dinner snacks. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, even if not all of them speak anything but Portuguese. This is my hotel of choice when in SP.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RBot39

Dear Mr. RBot39,
Thank you very much for taking part of your time to write a review about our hotel!
Thank you for the kind words!It is very gratifying to know that you had such a good experience in our hotel and our team made everything for you to have a pleasant stay. We will share our comments with them.
We are glad that you had time to enjoy all the facilities that our hotel offers to guests.
We hope that you return to see us in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Excellent personel and service in the hotel and rooms. Everthing you need is available in the rooms. Rooms are well furnished and clean as well. You can take a shuttle for dinner out of hotel with no charge. Good bar in the looby for leisure time and happy hours.

Room Tip: Corner rooms has a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Alejandro G, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Cankad

Thank you for your review and positive comments about your recently stay at Mercure Grand Hotel Ibirapuera.
We greatly appreciate your complimentary remarks regarding our staff’s performance. I will make sure I will share your review with the entire team.
Our rooms are specially designed to bring comfort and relaxing moments. I’m glad to hear that you have appreciated the furniture as the cleanness as well.
Our “Aboo Bar”, located at the lobby, is the perfect spot to enjoy a cocktail or snacks, as you mentioned, and perfect to have good moments with friends.

Looking forward to welcome you again!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2013

This hotel has the best staff. I went to Sao Paulo because of my work, but I had a few days off in which I was practically alone. The staff helped me to create an itinerary, helped me to get a low-cost guide and really cared for me, because when I arrived late at the hotel they were concerned about the fact that I was alone. Actually what I love with the hotel was the staff.

Within the internet, Wifi really is terrible, I had to be connected by cable forever but never failed and I was looking forward to being in the pool and it was always in maintenance or already closed, that I really disliked this fact

Very nice room, overlooking the city and watch TV in Portuguese helped me to practice.

Actually, for me, an excellent hotel

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Ale R,

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us.
We are always trying to get over our guest’s expectations and provide a remarkable stay in all aspects! It’s extremely gratifying to us know that our main goal has been gotten.
Our room and common areas were decorated with only one goal: Provide to our guests pleasure and comfort during their stay. Some of our rooms have a special view to Ibirapuera Park and that makes a difference when you need to relax. We feel very pleased that you had time to learn our language.
We are renovating our internet devices to better assist our guests.
The maintenance of the swimming pool is already concluded. For sure the next time you visit us you will be able to enjoy it.
It will always be a pleasure to welcome you back more often in our hotel!

My best wishes,