“L'Hotel Porto Bay is a gem in Sao Paulo”

L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo
Ranked #10 of 328 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

L'Hotel is a small boutique hotel. If I return to Sao Paulo. I would return here. The staff speak exceptionally good English (a rare find). When we arrived early, they suggested visiting the MASP just a few blocks away. The rooms were of moderate size, with luxury bedding, an elegant bathroom and complementary truffles. The complementary breakfast buffet was fantastic. They should consider a no cell phone policy in their dining area; one visitor was on the phone for > 20 min! Our room was adjacent to the elevator, but the hotel has excellent sound insulation and we didn't hear the elevators despite their continual usage. The hotel is centrally located but on a relatively quite and very safe street. It was easy to use the metro and even catch the airport bus back to GRU. My one recommendation about a visit to Sao Paulo - if your time is short do not arrive on a Sunday (many high profile restaurants are closed in the PM) or Monday (Museums are closed). L'Hotel's staff tried hard to find us a high-end Brazilian restaurant on Sunday PM to no avail. L'Hotel was great experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank RiversideTraveler
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you so much for your kind comment regarding us. We focus in creating great experiences and we are pleased that you would return here. Our location is truly a major plus: in a quiet and safe part of the street, but just half block from Paulista Avenue, no other hotel can be compared. I hope you can return sooner. With kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed here recently with my family. This was our first visit to Brazil so our expectations of the city were somewhere between hell and good food. We were happy to find the hotels' driver on time at Guarulhos and even more impressed that he kindly got us to the lobby within the hour, at rush hour. At reception we were greeted by professional staff, that explained everything we needed to know at that point in time regarding our stay. In our beautifully appointed rooms we found the luggage already safely stored with one pair of original (unused) Havaianas at the beds, fitting each of us perfectly. How is this possible? Well, it happened. The beds were nicely soft, just perfect, as well as the pillows and duvet. We went to bed immediately and fell in deep sleep due to the jetlag. The next morning, after a nice shower under generous shower heads, we went straight to the breakfast room and had our first encounter with Brazilian food. Ohh my God, what a delight. Wonderful exotic fruits - fruta-do-conde (yummy), caju and others, marvelous juices (I wonder how they get their juices so non-sweet, its just heavenly), the fantastic white cheese, breads and rolls of all sorts, tasty salami's, cereals all the way to the most wonderful things of all - Brazilian cheese breads and pastel de nata. And the coffee..., not to mention the great service. The stage was set for an awesome trip. But the best was still to come. As we knew no-one and needed all the help we could get for a few days in SP, we asked the guest relations for assistance with what to do, where to go etc. Enter Herta, the reception manager. If you ever need schooling in guest relations and service, book yourself at L'Hotel and pretend being a newie in SP and ask for Herta and her team. There was nothing that was too much and no stupid questions for her and her team. We got tips on restaurants, shops, museums and other activities, how to get there in the most convenient way. They booked everything needed, no hassles. We needed not to lift a finger. I needed a special adapter fpr my laptop, no worries, Herta went and bought one. We needed onward tickets to Rio, no worries, Herta sorted it all out, at a third of the best price I could find online! One evening when we came back, the rooms had crayons and colour-in books for the kids and cakes and tea for us! What a nice treat. I have never experienced a team so focused on making your stay so comfortable and hassle-free so that you can focus on being a...guest. I give this place 5 out of 5 on all counts, they really make it difficult for me to consider another hotel next time in SP. Really. Most enjoyable, absolutely stunning. Great location 50 meters from Av Paulista too.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Tripordie

We are impressed and so pleased with such kind comment regarding L’Hotel Porto Bay. Our team (specially Herta and Front Desk staff) has no word to describe how happy we are with your stunning stay, and we hope to welcome you back so many times. Do not hesitate do contact me if you need anything from us. With kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

L'Hotel is a boutique hotel in Sao Paulo. It is small and very personalized. The reception staff is very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and they speak English. The breakfast is very good and when my husband brought me back tea and croissants, a waitress insisted on bringing it up on a tray with a tea pot and china at no room service cost. The beds are great, flat screen TV and cable that gets American programs. The spa has wonderful Japanese hot tubs, great for unwinding. The rooms are small on the style of many new hotels, but very comfortable. The bathroom has a great shower and the toiletries are L'Occitane. I will definitely stay there again. Kudoos to the staff and managers of this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CC6446
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2011

Thank you so much for such kind comment regarding L’Hotel Porto Bay. We are pleased that you enjoyed all our new facilities and staff. We compliment our service with many kind actions, like the tea you asked and special made hot items for breakfast. We look forward to welcome you back. With kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

I recently had an issue with Emiliano (very good in many ways) raising their prices by 50% (!) to an absurd minimum of US$800/night (by comparison the Dolder in Zurich, not a cheap hotel, not a cheap city, has less expensive rooms--and there is no comparison between Emiliano and Dolder.) And so, based on Tripadvisor reviews, I went for L'Hotel. I have never, ever, found the ratings and reviews on this site to be further removed from any objective assessment of a property. The best part was the pleasant driver and car from the airport (and yes, the breakfast, standard for Brazil and very good). The wait to check-in at the reception was a bad start, as was the dour receptionist. The hotel itself is "classic" and "traditional" only inasmuch as it is simply old-fashioned, with badly laid out rooms, outdates phones, showers, etc. The suite I stayed in was likely immediately below the pool or a tub and the sound of swishing water was constant. The room service attendant was rude, the food bad (how can you make a good breakfast and bad dinner? how can the smoked salmon at breakfast be excellent and in the room service be inedible?). Generally, hotel staff are not fluent in English nor do they seem to make a particular effort to understand my admittedly patchy Portuguese. So, NO, this is not the best hotel in Sao Paulo. It remains to be seen where good value can be found in a city in which prices are spiraling out of control, but L'Hotel is not it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pcinrj

I apologize for the inconvenience you had in your suite, this is not our standard and we will check what happen and apply a solution. Unfortunately in Brazil is not so easy to find people fluent in English to work in hotels, we encourage our team offering courses in many languages with 80% paid by the hotel, and we are getting good results with that, but we still need to keep improving. If do not mind, I kindly ask you to contact me by the e-mail jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br, as I do not have your contact information by TripAdvisor, and I will offer you a deal, hoping that you enjoy a possible next stay with us. Kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Due to my business travel, over the last few years I've had opportunity to stay at several of the other top hotels in SP, and though I already had heard good things about the L' Hotel since before it was taken over by Porto Bay chain, this was the first chance I had to check it out... and was not disappointed!

The pros:
1) It is a small hotel. Personally I prefer it that way because in a big, chain hotel one is usually only a number unless one is a VIP, and that I certainly am not.

2) The accommodations are a fair size for Brazil: enough space for a king bed, an upholstered armchair and a small desk, without seeming crowded. Nice bathroom with excellent amenities (L'Occitane toiletries)

3) The breakfeast buffet really is something of an experience: not only are high quality items used, but the variety is very good, to the point of serving some items not normally, even at other top hotels, such as smoked salmon, bressalora and some exotic fresh fruits.

4) We had the opportunity of dinning at the hotel's restaurant, 'Trebianno' and although it might not be one of the 'Top 10' in SP (São Paulo has way too many options) it has interesting options on the menu, the food we had was very above average. Also, the restaurant has some very interesting wine options, without an excessive surcharge.

5) Location, location, location: The Hotel is very well located for São Paulo, whether one is there for business or pleasure, whether with car or depending walking/subway.

6) The "We try harder bit":
a lot of small services, which at many other top hotels are expensively overcharged (internet access, parking, etc) to my surprise, where included in my basic hotel rate. For example, in my room, my free wi-fi access was averaging 4Mb. I've been to some places that have charged me $30 for 1/4 of that speed.

7) I am fluent in english and portuguese, so I did not personally interact with the staff, but I did have the opportunity to see the reception staff do a decent job with their english, and even more surprisingly, I observed the waiter at the hotel's restaurant exhibit a very adequate english with a group at another table.

The cons:
Really can't find any, but to really be nitpicking (as a suggestion):
1) the rooms could have more electrical outlets or a power-strip. Notebook, Ipad, Iphone, etc can quickly add up to a lot of plugs
2) I would enjoy seeing a great baguette on the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: all are =, but rooms facing backwards are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wpgesser
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Thank you so much for such kind comment regarding L’Hotel Porto Bay. It is a pleasure hearing so many good things about us, and your suggestions are really interesting and will be available soon. We look forward to welcome you back. With kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

If you want a 5 star hotel in this area stay at the Emiliano or Fasano.This is a 3 star experience
Facilities
The bedrooms are a reasonable size but are very drab and nondescript
The lobby and all public areas are are better but still very dark and uninviting
The gym is a joke,it is fill of old equipment and is shabby.
The plugs in all the room are different so ensure you take a multiplug.
The lifts are slow.
There never seems to be a concierge available.
Sounds of running water from system all night.
Poor sound insulation,you could hear a lot of outside noise
The service in the restaurant was very slow at lunchtime,it took more than 1 hour before we got our second courese and the food was served at uneven times.

Service Policies and Charging
Pressing clothing They have no in house laundry so they send out your clothes.To get your clothes back the same day(even if you put in early morning) you must pay double,more than BRL 30 for a pair of trousers.They offer no iron or ironing board.
Early Check in : even though they had availability when my colleague arrived at 8 am ,they charged him a half day rate to check in early.
My other colleage made 23 secomd phonecall and was charged BRL 15.

Plus points
Good breakfast
Free Internet
Reasonable food in restaurant
Polite staff,especially the lady who opened the bar so we could have a private meeting.
Great blackout curtains

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank markwlugano

I agree with most reviews, especially those with truly information. When we have disappointed guests, we work hard to show how they are important to us, as can be verified on the review “The importance of second chances”. Unfortunately this review is not this case, with false information from a supposed guest. I apologize for TripAdvisor users and our guests by seem this false information. Jorge Castelo, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 24 June 2011

It's really good the hotel and the restaurant fist class the food was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank zoiaeu
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thank you so much for you nice review about L’Hotel Porto Bay and Trebbiano Restaurant. We launched a new menu with great options inspired on the Mediterranean cuisine, and I hope you can try and enjoy. Best regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.