“Not for the English Speaker”

Comfort Hotel Nova Paulista
Ranked #82 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
“Not for the English Speaker”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clean and comfortable, however I have had numerous issues trying to order room service. There is one or two people that speak english, and if you get them you are lucky, however if they are not on, you get the phone slammed down on you.

The staff at breakfast is also not attentive at all, and the pots with coffee is nowhere near big enough. Tables would stay uncleared for too long. I did not once in the week that I was here sit at a cleared up table at breakfast. The plates may have been cleared, but I had to go and find my own cutlery etc.

I am rating this one average, since it is comfortable and the rooms are nice and modern, but small.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank vicdupreez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed at this for 2 nights for a business trip. Room was comfortable and had a decent wifi connection and air conditioning. Restaurant food was OK.
Main issue was the traffic. I stayed on one of the upper floors but the traffic noise was very intrusive. The rooms could do with having double glazing to reduce the traffic noise.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank smiro03
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This hotel was selected for me by my Brazilian distirbutor. It was the place they where they usually stayed because it was within their budgets and was close to their Sao Paulo office. The exterior was OK but nothing special and not something that would draw me in if I was trolling for a hotel. The lobby was adequate and at least not a turn off, though it was a little small. A large crowd, which I witnessed a couple of times during the course of my stay, could make things prety cramped.The location of the hotel, other than being close to my business concern, was nothing special.The check-in was a little slow but not outrageously so. The room was fine as it was quite clean and adequately spacious. The bed was reasonably comfortable allowing for a decent night's sleep. The morning breakfast, though offered with little fanfare, was sufficient containing enough options to be satisfying. The checkout was again a bit slow, this time to the point of a being little annoying. However, one nice gesture they did offer, due to the difficulty of generating a receipt, was to comp my laundry bill. That helped make up for the slowness. The rate was not bad but I would say I got what I paid for. It was alright. One thing that greatly irritated me and something to note for the frequent-stay point collectors is that I was never credited with the stay on my Choce account. That was relatively annoying. Unfortunately, that brings up a general point of caution as Choice has a few of those hotels outside North America where they do not credit your stays.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Carrijo R, Gerente geral at Comfort Hotel Nova Paulista, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Mrs. Debbie:

I would like to thank you for the feedback about your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, on July 2012. Your comments were very important to help us to improve our service.
From your accommodation at Comfort Hotel, in July 2012, we have made several changes, including exchange of employees to a renovation of rooms and social áreas.
It will be a pleasure to host you in Comfort Nova Paulista Hotel, again, on your next trip to São Paulo city to prove that our improvements.

Gerente Geral
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 22 December 2011

In spite of traffic noise, the hotel is well located. The service has nothing special and the rooms are very small. The fitness center has almost nothing and the pool isn't warmed (and very small). The breakfast is limited to the basics and is hard to catch a taxi around there. I though is a little overrated for the benefits it offers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcus O
Dear Mr. Marcus:

I would like to thank you for the feedback about your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, on Abril 2011. Your comments were very important to help us to improve our service.
From your accommodation at Comfort Hotel, in April 2011 until today, we have made several changes, including exchange of employees to a renovation of rooms and social áreas.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Dirty and poor facilities, including rooms.
Breakfast is just ok.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Mr. Mateus:

I would like to thank you for the feedback about your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, on August 2011. Your comments were very important to help us to improve our service.
From your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, in August 2011 until today, we have made several changes, including exchange of employees to a renovation of rooms and social áreas.
It will be a pleasure to host you in Comfort Nova Paulista again on your next trip to São Paulo city to prove that our improvements.

Cuernavaca
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Let me start by admitting that it was someone else's money I was spending here. I don't even know how much a room costs or the food in the restaurant, it was all prepaid. So I can't comment on value for money. But I can comment on the rest.

I had a twin room with single beds, not a huge amount of room but adequate. Cleanliness was excellent in room and rest of hotel. Bathroom well appointed although the shower was somewhat noisy. Safe in room worked fine, flat-screen TV with plenty of channels, mini-bar available. Bed neither luxurious nor uncomfortabel, I slept fine in that sense.

Where I did lose some sleep was with the street noise, even on the 13th floor. Half the hotel rooms point the other way from the main drag outside, I definitely recommend getting one of those rooms. It also meant that the window had to remain closed, which had the knockon effect of exposing the lack of ventilation in the bathroom - there's no extractor fan or anything, so after a shower or two the room gets stuffy and humid and if that's at night, you can't open the window for the street noise. There is air-con, but in winter it's unnecessary, maybe in summer the humidity would fall quicker if you had the air-con functioning. WiFi was good in my room.

The restaurant buffet is OK, I had breakfasts and evening meals there, but there is practially zero variety day to day, so over a longer stay that quickly gets very boring. My major criticism is that there is no bar area so to speak, or lounge or salon or anywhere in which one can socialise or meet up with friends etc. There is a bar, but apart from a few stools, nowhere to sit. So it wasn't very sociable place to stay.

There is a small gym with a couple of treadmills, a bicycle and a few dumbells nothing more. The small pool is outdoors and unheated, which makes it way too cold in winter to venture in. I'm sure that in summer it would be inviting.

Around the hotel, across the street there are a couple of bars, albeit quite expensive (around 4 to five dollars for a tiny beer, no more than 200mls at best) but busy and popular with locals. I didn't find the area at all sketchy or full of drug users as another reviewer put it. In the street behind the hotel are many banks. The hotel is between the Ana Rosa and Vila Mariana metro stops, and just past the Ana Rosa metro is a small supermarket where one can stock up for longer stays and avoid the minibar prices.

Overall this is a reasonable hotel, by no means charming or homely but it does the job just fine for a mid-range place to sleep.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back, away from traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bo_Duke
Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for the feedback about your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, on June 2011. Your comments were very important to help us to improve our service.
From your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista, in June 2011 until today, we have made several changes, including a renovation of rooms and social áreas.

Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I have stayed here for a day during a weekend. Rooms are very good: spacious, clean and well mantained. But you can find the same quality for slightly lower prices in more convenient locations. Breakfast is average.

I could not decide wether to give 3 or 4 stars, but decided on 3 because the wireless internet was not working and although I called reception it still would not work. Actually the staff guy who answered said he would call me back with a solution, but never did.

Room Tip: As there could be street noise, higher is better
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

From your stay at Comfort Nova Paulista until today, we have made several changes, including exchange of employees to a renovation of rooms and social áreas.
It will be a pleasure to host you in Comfort Nova Paulista again on your next trip to Sao Paulo city to prove that our improvements.