“Nice location, nice rooms, but a little overpriced...”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Sao Paulo
Crowne Plaza Hotel Sao Paulo
Ranked #237 of 324 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Rio de Janeiro
“Nice location, nice rooms, but a little overpriced...”
Reviewed 3 May 2007

I stayed in Crowne Plaza from 21/04 to 25/04. The hotel gave me an early check-in and I went to my standard double room. The room is nice, not too big but with a nice space. The TV is good, flat screen, about 21", and has some games you can play on it (the joystick is in the backside of the TV). One nice thing is that you can check your account on TV (most US hotels have this option). The bed is awesome, king size, very comfortable. The bathroom is good, with a nice mirror for the women. The bad part is the bathtub, too short, close to the floor, you can't stay inside. To use the shower, you haver to open the tap as much as you can, and than pull the "metal thing" that is located on the tap. The bad parts of the bedroom is that the safe isn't eletronic. It's manual, you have to carry a key with you (I hate that kind of safe). And I thought the mini fridge is kinda old too. Other problem is the overpriced things, such as: telephone (I made a 10 min. call to a place inside Sao Paulo and I spent 43,00 reais - USD 21,00), lunch at the hotel restaurant (a buffet, good but not spetacular, costs USD 26,00 without drinks), the internet. They said my room had cable connection, but I didn't find it. Only the lobby has wireless, and it costs USD 10,00 for 6 direct hours (if you close your laptop, you have to pay for another card), and the mini fridge things. A bottle of water (small one), costs USD 2,50, and in a market you can buy it for USD 0,50. The pool is located on the rooftop, it is good but no bar service. The gym is good too.

The location is excellent, very close to Paulista Avenue (the financial center of the city) and close to the Congonhas Airport (about 15kms - but you have to get out the hotel early because the traffic is horrible).

I recommend this hotel but try not to use the internet, don't lunch at the hotel and don't use the minibar (buy water and soft drinks in a supermarket elsewhere).

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank BrunoMagalhaes

Las Vegas
Reviewed 13 March 2007

The hotel is located near the center of the Sao Paulo. The rooms are very nice, customer service is excellent. However, the hotel does have some quirks, if one may say so. The internet is available by purchasing internet card that for a certain amount of time. The catch is that if you get disconnected or need to take a quick break, you need to buy a whole new time card. Also their breakfast is the most expensive breakfast that i've ever seen. At $35.00 for eggs and juice (it is a buffet), they need to post these prices where customers can see them. This hotel clearly caters to a certain clientele, and the budget minded is clearly not on high on their minds.

• Liked — Location was Excellent
  • Disliked — They nickel and dime customers for all they can get
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Alexander1969

Travellers are raving about these Sao Paulo hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 November 2005

My family and I just returned from eight days in Sao Paulo and Rio. Our first four days were spent in Sao Paulo. We arrived very late (about 1:30 AM local time) and our reserved suite was not available, so my wife and I had to share a standard room with our two small children, not a disaster because of the short night, but not what we had booked/expected. We had booked a suite so our two children (under age 5) could sleep in one room and the adults in the other. I was very concerned because the desk clerk declared that the hotel would not guarantee that we would be moved to a suite for the remaining three days, and he refused to reduce the room charge to a standard room rate for that night because he proclaimed we were already getting a "discount" price on the suite. On the other hand, at my request the desk clerk went out of his way to open the business center and allowed me to use the hotel's email. I sent an email to my travel agent (whom I have used for many years) complaining about the situation. The agent complained to the hotel. The next morning we were moved to a suite and recieved a large gift basket of fruit and cold cuts, etc. For next three days the staff were exceptionally nice and friendly, apparently the word was out to make up for our mishap upon arrival. I would recommend this hotel in spite of our initial problems because they made a real effort to make us feel welcome after the problem with the room. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 October 2005

I've stayed here a few times in the past 2-3 years and have always walked away from my visit with a satisfied feeling. Please note that I have also stayed at more expensive hotels in Sao Paulo and know the differences you pay for at these hotels. That said, for the price, you can generally find rooms for less than 135 USD, you get a centrally located hotel, near Avenida Paulista (which has a lot of restaurants and is quite safe, even at night, but it is not the "richest" part of Sao Paulo), a decent size room that is clean, friendly staff, small pool and fitness room, and no hassles.

While the rooms and interior may look a bit dated, you are paying less than 50% of what the other hotels may charge. What you get for paying more at other places is generally newer rooms, more arrogant staff and security, and locations that are less than ideal.

I've never tried early check-in, but I do know that they let me shower and change in the fitness room at 7pm before my return flight to the US, despite having checked out 7 hours earlier.

Again, for the price, you can't beat the Crowne Plaza. BUT, if you can afford more, I almost always recommend the Renaissance, it's an all around wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank DJ
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 9 May 2005

Only stayed one night in this hotel. Saturday night. I can not remember anything special about this hotel, which might be seen as positive I guess. The only negative was that I arrived at noon at the hotel from long red-eye from the US and was looking forward to a nice shower and a horizontal bed. Instead they bluntly told me that check-in time was at 2PM. Give me a break...

Anyways, so I left my luggage with the concierge and went to the Paulista which is some 50 yards away. Here I was able to fall in awe over the beautiful women strolling on the side walks. Paulista is the richest area of the city and very safe. Also several party stores and small excellent restaurants were walking distances away from the hotel, as well as a small shopping mall and cinema located inside the same block as the hotel. So after I returned from my little detour at 3PM the room was ready and I could finally enjoy that nice hot shower...

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business