“Nice hotel”

The Capital Sao Paulo Itaim
Ranked #70 of 326 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Staff was very kind and helpful. Everything was very clean. Some peolpe say the bathroom is too small well this is not true, it may not be a big bathroom but it is confortable enough unless you are a big person. Some peolpe say it is noisy but I guess they stopped while I was there because I dind't hear a thing. Breakfast is good nothing out of this world but worth the money, several choices for people watching their diet and those who wanna indulge in the pleasures of food. Minibar is not overpriced. Oh and the burger is really really good.
Overall if you are looking for a resort type of hotel this is not it otherwise I think you'll be very happy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I was there one night in April during my trip in Brazil. Good location, Rooms clean and quite ok. breakfast rather poor nothing special. This is city hotel so do not expect great views and other advantages. Price comparing to other hotels ok. Service helpful. A little noisy becasue of renovation works in the neighbourhood but sup up ok for short stay.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Moving from a gem of a hotel to this one, it is hard not to compare them. I found this hotel very noisy, I stayed on the 8th floor and there is a building site opposite that starts at 7am every morning. Although I fully understand that this is not the fault of the hotel I found this to be very disturbing throughout my visit. In addition, due to its location, the Sao Paulo traffic starts at about 4am and being close to some fairly major roads this just added to the sleep - or lack of - issue. there were a number of us staying in the same hotel on various floors and they all experienced the same thing.

On the plus side, there is a great gym and swimming pool on the roof as well as a spa and sauna, staff here were very helpful. The breakfasts were fine, fresh fruit and yoghurt, cold meats, cheese etc and some hot stuff if you wanted it.

Staff were helpful but I would say in general slightly over priced, I think this will be due to it being a good location for business travel.

Also - just as a guide, the hotel charges a lot for airport transfers, if you arrive at the International airport there is a taxi kiosk here that charges 120 Brazilian Reals to get to the Hotel - the Hotel will charge you BR 160 for the transfer.

There is a bar and restaurant downstairs, in the main this lacked atmosphere but there are plenty of places nearby to eat including a great sushi place opposite. Once the building opposite is complete then it might be worth re visiting this hotel but for now I would try and find somewhere else.

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have just returned home after a six night stay at the Capital GC Hotel in Sao Paolo.

From the offset, after having a really good look at the place, it is clear that the images and the hotels representation of itself on its website is a far more creative than the actual thing....but let that not deter you from staying there.

The staff are great - they are friendly and try their best to assist. (Although it was impossible for them to assist me in organising a needle and tread to sew on a button). We arrived early and the receptionist did her best to arrange early check-in for us as well as immediate laundry service - so a big plus for that!!

The rooms are great - comfortable lounge with a small kitchenette, basin and larger than usual minibar fridge. The room has a separate bedroom with cable flat-screen TV, Ipod docking station alarm clock and air conditioning. The bedding was fresh and clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Both the bedroom and the lounge lead out onto a private balcony which overlook the expanse of Sao Paolo city.

The bathroom, in my very strong opinion, lets the room and the hotel down tremendously! It is cramped! Clearly the bathroom was an afterthought when they were planning and building this place. One has to close the door once in the bathroom. The toilet is right up against the shower door and one has to be a contortionist to get into the shower. It is almost impossible to run the water to suitable temperature and get in to the shower - it is either one or the other.

Breakfast was more than ample and offered a great variety. Restaurant staff were friendly and polite - in fact, all the staff at the Capital are just pleasant people.

There is a spa on the top floor - I never used it, but it looked good.

The swimming pool and gym, located on the top floor, allow for incredible views over the sprawling mega-metropolis of Sao Paolo.

The location of the Capital is perfect - within a short walk there is a huge variety and choice of great restaurants, bars and nightlife.

I enjoyed my stay at the Capital GC. Despite the acrobatics required to enter and exit the shower, it is not a bad place to stay and I would recommend it. I will return to stay here again.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Capital GC Hotel on vacation and would happily stay there again. The staff were all very friendly and happy to help with any enquires. They also all spoke English which to me, my Portuguese is terrible, was great. There are always taxis available out the front and they do have their own driver, who is very reasonable in price and also very friendly. The included buffet breakfast was delicious. Lots of fresh fruit, hot dishes, cereals etc. It was always replenished and fresh. Plus the scrambled eggs are fantastic. The room itself was very clean and yes the bathroom is a bit small but it is in no way too small. It’s good to have the separate lounge area from the bedroom and it was a very comfortable stay. The area in which the hotel is situated is a nice area. Travelling by myself I had not issues with walking around and always felt very safe. There are lots of cute cafes, restaurants, bars and shops in the area and there is also a small supermarket nearby. The only small downside is that it is not near to a Metro stop but I did not find that a problem as the area is nice to walk in. There is also building work across the street from the front of the hotel so if you wanted a late sleep-in you might want to request a higher room or one at the back (I was on the 5th floor). But saying that, I did not find the work noise too bad at all. I found the hotel to be good value for money as I had a special weekend package.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Service: excellent. From the cleaning staff, to helpful Concierge, to very visible hotel security. I again want to thank all present for making my trip so easy. If I needed transportation information, taxi, anything-they were right on.

Location: at present there is some noise but know that post 10pm, I had no issues. I had no noise from adjoining rooms as well nor from the hallways. Outside noise only as this is a small side street and not a shopping district

Transportation: I speak Portugues/English. HOWEVER: if you want you can take a cab anywhere. The stand is on that street and they will bring it to the front door for you if need be. I had my GPS on phone and all cabbies were on target! try that for extra help. Metro is clean and efficient.

Bus: I could take the Princessa Isabela bus to Paulista (major street for shopping) and if I wanted to, pick up the metro which takes you a thousand places. The Princessa Isabella stops right across from the Brigadeiro Metro station. So download the metro map and chart a day.The bus is across the ave. 3 min away. literally. This opens the door to pay US 1.50 for a metro ride to museums, downtown etc. OR US 1.50 to Paulista for MASP museum, shopping, etc. Although it would be great to be right outside the metro, especially for first time visitors, you will find alot of Brasileiros
so happy to help you if you need directions. really.

Parque Ibirapuera-nine minute walk from hotel. straight walk once you cross the main avenue. You will see many joggers heading that way on Saturday and Sunday. You will enter Portao (gate) 8. Go jog, walk, rest near the bamboo, grab some fresh coconut water. and if you want to leave from there go to Portao 3 (Gate 3) where you can pick up the buses or a taxi. again just ask!

Rooms: bathroom was small. I agree. I had to close the door to use the shower. Updates could be nice but again-construction/decor issue. The room I had was divided as one reviewer said. I still in no way felt bad where I slept , sat, or used wireless. Super clean. That is a priority even if the rooms had been larger.
Any room complaints are a construction /layout issue. If on business, you have a business center etc. I was traveling for pleasure so this was not an issue as I didn't "live " there for my stay. I used the exercise room on the rooftop and waded in the wading pool with a city view. There is also a spa on the same floor. I have yet to try that.

Wireless: I chose 6hrs for free. Had no issues.
Meals-I made use of the buffet breakfast which offers fruits, yogurt, breads, juices, coffee, tea, some meat and eggs etc. Beyond that I was eating quite a bit in various parts of the city.

There is a shuttle to both airports, see the desk for that.
I would stay here again as I am a Park orientated for a run each day, and the staff and the clear help they offered secured my stay.

Room Tip: higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank brsla2
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This hotel successfully has managed to create the illusion of a good hotel at low cost. Dear readers, please don't be fooled by the grandiosity deployed in internet that somehow has served for the purpose of creating an illusion of a hotel with the facilities and capacity to serve the mass of tourists visiting São Paulo.

First, its facilities are located close to one of the noisiest areas in Sao Paulo where achieving a good rest isolated from the hustle and stress of a big city are virtually impossible.

Second, the rooms are a "tiny shoes box" divided by a wall in order to create the illusion of two spaces. Each room has a micro bathroom not only uncomfortable but it lacks all basic utensils from a real hotel room so please be prepared.

Third, the beds are not only uncomfortable but ridiculously small to the point that decided to sleep across. I called the manager and he spent two days to allocate a new room regardless that my booking clearly indicated Queen size bed.

Finally, the restaurant is simply pathetic. The service, food and the variety of drinks is absurd. In this restaurant the words abundance and variety are unknown.

My suggestion, before booking this hotel please think twice about it or probably invest an additional value for a better hotel.

Good luck friends!
PS. The worst part is that right by the front desk, the 2012 Trip Advisor Award as one of the best hotels is hanging from the wall...give me a break!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business