“Hyatt v Hilton, and a gripe”

Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo
Ranked #5 of 328 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've been in São Paulo several days for the last three weeks. I stayed in the Hilton the first two and the Hyatt this week.

Stay at the Hyatt if..........
You like great lobbies. The Hilton looks like they had to make the lobby work rather than designing it. The lobby is small and you have to walk around the check in desk to get to the elevators

You like a bath to relax. The Hyatt has great soaking tubs. The Hilton has some rooms with only showers and others with tubs but the tubs are smaller.

You want to use the spa. The Hyatt has a nice spa that looks like a spa. The Hilton uses an upper floor that has no spa feel.

Stay at the Hilton if........
You are a gym rat. The Hilton has outsourced their gym to a Health Club company. They admit locals who create more of a gym vibe. Nothing worse than working out all by yourself at 7:00. The Hilton is full but I never had to wait on a machine. Unless you are a high rated member, you'll pay 10 real a day but it's well worth the $4.50.

If you eat in the hotel at night. Canvas Resturant is far superior to the lobby Resturant in the Hyatt (see below). Additionally the Hilton sits atop an underground mall so you can walk there in a completely safe environment and visit the meat restaurants Brazil is famous for.

If you work in your room during the day. The Hyatt has an adequate desk like a normal hotel room. The Hilton has a desk about six feet long. While you look past your bed, you still get a view of outside which is nice. In the Hyatt your back is to the window.

Now my gripe. If you look at all my reviews, you'll see that I am overwhelmingly positive. I travel over 100 nights a year and if you let stuff get to you, you'll be a miserable person. But here goes.... They really need to change the lobby Resturant. It's designed as a Brazilian Comfort Food. Fair enough but I chose it because it was 6:00 pm, I needed to eat to get back to work, I didn't want room service, and it was the only Resturant open. My experience started when I entered. At 6:00 pm, nobody is eating in Brazil. When I entered only one other table was occupied by two business people having a coffee. The hostess wanted me to sit at the table right next two them which is about 8" away. I asked to sit somewhere else and she said she couldn't because all the other tables were for bigger groups. I know it's not good to sit 1 person at a table for 4 but at 6:00 pm, how about a dose of "the customer is always right". Needless to say, when I left at 7:00 pm, the Resturant was completely empty as both of the tables had left. So I got to listen to two salesmen talk sales strategy throughout my dinner. Next is the menu. I applaud hotels bringing local cuisine to their business travelers. Often business people don't know where to go and too often have a burger from room service. BUT make it an option. The menu has no green salads, and very few things you've ever had before. A local page is nice, nothing your comfortable you will eat isn't. The kitchen must be the same for room service so why not include the items. Lastly the service was very slow. They really need to beef up training. When I finished my main course, the waiter took my dish and left. After 5 minutes I started looking for him. There was not a single employee on the floor. After about 10 minutes somebody came out of the kitchen who I flagged down for a dessert menu. Again, they all left. When I finally found them again I ordered coffee and dessert. His training had taught him to ask if I wanted them together or one before the other. I liked this as every culture is different. But I'm not sure why he asked. I asked for them together. He then preceded to bring the dessert and then started making the coffee. By the time I got it, I was through as I ordered a hot dessert and wanted to eat it while it was hot. Had he not asked, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But if you ask, deliver.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank B Keith B
Hyatt_SP_Management, Gerente geral at Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us and other TripAdvisor travelers such a detailed experience of your stay with us. We were happy to read that our architecture, accommodations and spa were a memorable part of your stay. I would also like to thank you for your constructive comments regarding our service at C-Cultura Caseira restaurant. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced. Please rest assured that constant training are applied and will be reinforced in order to maintain our excelence in service in all areas in our hotel. Relating to the menu´s issues, please allow me to clarify that the in room dining menu is also avaliable at the C-Cultura Caseira restaurant so all of our guests have the option to choose between International or Brazilian cuisine. We hope to have the chance of welcoming again so that we can repair this bad impression you had.
Thierry Guillot – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,596)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Frequest business traveler to SP but first time staying in this part of the city (typically stay in Jardim area - Renaissance/Interncontinental). Given office relocation, the Grand Hyatt was recommended. Very nice hotel - staff was very accommodating and pleasant. Room was large, clean and well appointed. Beautiful bathroom with separate sink area and nice amenities. I really appreciated the top quality hair dryer and flat iron (I have never seen this in another hotel). Returned from hectic race out the door upon arrival to find everything put in order and hung, straightened, etc. Room service was very prompt and food was good. Nice selection of food with separate selection for light fare. Very quiet - despite being busy, i did not hear neighbors or doors slamming in hall. My only reservation relates to traffic around the hotel - although i believe this applies to anywhere in SP these days! Definitely recommend - particularly if you are staying in this area of the city.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the river/bridge. Nice view

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding our property. Your comments were received with great satisfaction, as it confirms our commitment to providing authentic hospitality and to make a difference in the lives of those we touch every day. As São Paulo experiences quite intense traffic during peak hours, the journey to other locations can actually feel much longer at these times. Our Concierge team is always happy to offer city traffic advice to our guests. I hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location for business travelers and their staff is very professional, helpful and courteous. Today most businesses have operations in the general area where the Grand Hyatt is located and with today's traffic problems in São Paulo proximity to business meetings is essential to consider.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Hyatt_SP_Management, Gerente geral at Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Manuel,
Thank you for sharing with us and other TripAdvisor travellers your review. I am happy to read that our team and location were memorable to your stay. Regarding your comments, please let me complement that our Concierge team is always happy to offer city traffic advice to our guests. On your next visit, please allow me to suggest that you try our restaurants, as I am sure that they will be able to perfectly complement your next stay in Brazil. We hope to welcome you back soon to São Paulo.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

An amazing place. From the relaxed welcome, to the wonderful views, great food and very friendly team, we can't fault this hotel. It was excellent! I have already recommended it to a friend and we hope to go back soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear George,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other TripAdvisor visitors. We are pleased to read that you felt welcome and relaxed at our hotel and that you would also recommend it to other travelers. I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you visit our Amanary Spa on your next visit. Located on the 2nd floor, it offers an indoor pool, therapeutic treatments and male and female saunas, with excellent options for relaxation while in São Paulo. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel was exceptionally clean and the room spacious and well appointed. It is close to the shoppimg mall and several good restaurants. Many of the staff spoke English. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Window facing bridge is nice

Dear Julie,
Thank you for sharing with us and other TripAdvisor travelers your review. I could not be happier reading your comments and observing that we were able to achieve our main goal, which is providing authentic hospitality and offering sophisticated accommodations for business, relaxation and leisure in the city. Since you have mentioned that you will return to our hotel, please allow me to introduce our loyalty program, Hyatt Gold Passport™, in case you are not yet a member. It offers exclusive benefits to our loyal customers, such as complimentary nights, free upgrades and much more. Our team of receptionists will be delighted to assist with enrollment on your next visit. We are at your disposal for future needs in São Paulo and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Perfect Hotel, great staff, Amazing food & a lot of different food; great Chef . My room every day clean & perfect; in room service without delay. beautiful SPA & GYM Was in S .Paolo for business trip. Close to the center of the city. Perfect stay.

Dear Mauro,
Thank you for your stay at Grand Hyatt São Paulo. I would also like to thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel with us and other TripAdvisor users. It is a great satisfaction to know that our care, facilities and services met your expectations during your business trip. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was my second time at Grand Hyatt São Paulo and for sure it won't be my last. I felt most welcome and everybody was very, very attentive. I used several services and everything was very well managed. Although the hotel is at a very busy and noisy location, the rooms are quiet and very comfortable and the breakfast is delicious, which is actually the 2 things that matter most when you're on business trip. You feel welcome all the time and the staff is really focused on your wellbeing.

Dear Filipa,
It was a great satisfaction to receive your review. We were pleased to read that you had an amazing experience with us and that our team was able to provide you such a memorable stay. Since you had mentioned that will be staying with us in the future, I would like to present our loyalty program, Hyatt Gold Passport™, in case you are not yet a member. It offers exclusive benefits to our loyal customers, such as complimentary nights, free upgrades and much more. Our team of receptionists will be delighted to assist with enrollment on your next visit. We are at your disposal for future needs in São Paulo and hope to welcome you again very soon.