“A lovely hotel, shame about Sao Paulo's traffic”

Radisson Blu Sao Paulo
Ranked #16 of 324 Hotels in Sao Paulo
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel, shame about Sao Paulo's traffic”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business purposes in March 2012 for 4 nights.
The hotel itself is located in the financial district of Sao Paulo very near where the Uber rich reside (proved by car showrooms selling anything from a Smart to a Lamborghini.
The hotel itself has a well lit lobby as the photos suggest. I was served by Francisco who during check-in offered me a drink. The process was seamless and I was checked in and and I went up to my room on the 10th floor.
The room was very nice, quite large with a work desk and boutique like lounging chair. Unfortunately I was given two single beds (even though my reservation stated King size). The beds are quite hard. I usually sleep on orthopedic beds but the firmness of this bed was even too much for me.
The bathroom was interesting. It had all you required but it was very small.
To get perspective the toilet was knee length away from the wash basin and to get to the shower you had to use the knee length gap in front of the toilet to access it.
One bad thing about the room is that the windows were not soundproofed and thus you could hear road noise from your room and also plane noise as you are located directly in a flight path for the airport.
Whilst at the hotel I tried room service which was a bit of a "mission" unfortunately. I used room service on two occasions, Both times I ordered a chicken dish, which on its own was quite difficult to do as the room service staff did not understand my request. When we did get to the stage where they read the order back to me and was correct, I would still for some reason receive a completely different beef dish (I say completely different because even the sides were different to what was confirmed back to me during the ordering process).
I used the gym at the hotel located at the top of the hotel, which provided a magnificent view of Sao Paulo. The gym was nice, equipment was maintained and in working order. The pool was a decent length albeit a bit narrow (only two people could swim lengths at one time unless all swimmers were of the same ability and synchronised). I have to say the water in the pool was FREEZING. It took me at least 10 minutes for my body to acclimatise to the temperature before I was able to actually take a swim :(

Overall a lovely hotel with some teething problems which when sorted could be a good business hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to avoid road noise, but you will not escape plane noise
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Every time I am in Sao Paulo on business I stay at this hotel. It is in a safe area and a few restaturants and an upscale boutique supermarket are within 2 blocks of the hotel.
The room service is very good, the rooms are spacious, good views of the city's sky scrapers and the cardio equipment at the gym is not outdated.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room on a high floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I decided to try again this hotel again this weekend to see if it has any changes and it did... It's worse. For my deception the people that were good and experience are not there anymore but the people that should leave are still there.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a upgrade,it's not worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Leo G
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed here for business, first time my company used this place, the usual place across the street was booked up, it was all last minute.
Looked good to start with, receptionists were very nice and welcoming but I was charged an extra half day for early check-in.
THE ROOM FACILITIES
Fair sized room, balcony with sliding doors was a nice feature; I was on the 15th floor.
I unpacked my case and set about ironing out the wrinkles in my shirts, the ironing board legs had been previously bent (possibly under the weight of someone pretending it was a surf board?) and then man-handled back to a nearly straight angle. This did not fill me with great confidence. Next I filled the steam iron with drinkable tap water… this proved to be my waterloo, as after a few presses of the ‘steam’ button on the iron, a thick brown rust patch was excreted onto my shirt! It was late and I was tired so I decanted the water and ironed a second shirt through a damp towel and decided to take it up with hotel in the morning.
I complained about my shirt and the iron to the receptionist towit they sent up a bellboy who spoke no English (I would have learned more Portuguese myself, but I didn’t know I was going to Brazil until 20hrs previous) and had no idea why he was there… So I motioned at the iron, the ironing board with the dodgy legs and showed him my shirt with a big stain and he seemed to get the gist and departed. Ten minutes later, a young lad of about 9 years old (whom I could not possibly get angry with) turned up with a replacement iron… I swopped it and assumed the rest would follow.
Later that evening, back late after work I resigned myself that the hotel was done with the matter and I should take it up with them after my visit. In the meantime, I would try the replacement iron out, firstly on a hotel towel before ruining another shirt!
I filled the iron with water, waited for it to heat, set to work on the towel and with one press of the ‘steam’ button, a screw fell out of the bottom of the iron and the iron plate fell off… The steam at least was not rusty…
THE SAUNA
I had time to use the sauna at one point, the on\off\temperature dial on the wafer thin tinplate that flexed and buzzed when you used it made me a little suspicious as to the safety of the electrics however they were not working at all. I called reception who sent up an electrician, I imagined he was going to throw a master switch somewhere but instead opened up a steel plate in the wall and reached in up to his elbow to fiddle with some wires… He then gave me the thumbs up and I could use the dial to turn up the heat. I looked around for the light switch, there was none, I assumed that the light was supposed to come on with the dial outside and after my eyes became accustomed to the dark I was happy that it did not come on. The light was a bare bulb with exposed wires on the wall… However, it did warm up and I did get hot.
THE LAST STRAW!
I departed for Rio for the weekend and kept my room at the Radisson as I didn’t have time to re-pack etc. I confirmed the arrangements with my company AND with reception before I left for Rio on the Thursday, all was booked and fine.
On returning from Rio on Sunday evening my room card would not work so I went to reception to make enquiries. At first they said I had checked out, then they said there was no record of my booking extension. After I showed them a copy of the hotel booking they then told me that I had to pay the full amount of my stay to date and the next week which I was due to stay before they would let me in my room! I am very lucky that my company was able to step in and thanks to some excellent Brazilian colleagues, after 3 hours negotiating!! I was able to get my things from the hotel, leave and book into the hotel across the street which now had availability. The hotel staff were as nice and capable as they could be but the hotel manager seemed to have given a directive that under no circumstances should they shift their stance on this. We assured them that we could make good on all counts in the morning when our booking staff were awake but instead my colleagues had to use their own credit cards (it was that costly they maxed out 3 cards!) and claim it back later!
I would expect this kind of suspicion from a cash-only back-alley hotel with more transient customers but a hotel on Faria Lima in the middle of the financial district, booked via a corporate booking, this is a little unnecessary!
Needless to say my company will not be using this hotel again in the future and I recommend you use caution if you are considering this yourself!

Room Tip: High up room, facing away from teh main road is best.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank StanInTransit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is a fair quality hotel for the price in a great location for the main financial district around Fariah Lima. Nice bars and restaurants around the hotel and there is a great gym and sauna on the top floor. I always come back here when in Sao Paulo.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Philyellen
Boston area, MA
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed here for a combination of business and the wedding of one of my clients. The neighborhood was convenient to nice restaurants. The neighborhood seemed fine, but I walked with my laptop bag wearing a suit to a prospective client's office three or four blocks away and the client insisted that I take a cab back. The breakfast was fine, not spectacular. The wifi, bed and shower were all good (my chief criteria for a hotel). Nothing was spectacular. My previous stay at the Hilton in Sao Paulo was different -- spectacular room, impressive buffet breakfast, amazing view, but much more expensive and less convenient neighborhood. On my next trip, I'd prefer the Hilton but would happily stay here as well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank letsmakeadeal
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Arriving off a 7am flight I didn't expect my room to be ready, but you might expect a place to shower and change in before setting off for meetings? But don't expect it here, unless you want to pay for half a days room rent.
Staff are helpful and very pleasant.
Bar on small with no atmosphere or comfy seating (there are seats though!)
Rooms- I was on 18th floor, which was ok until the wind changed to south west... So did the runway at the city airport- pretty awesome seeing the passengers waving as they skim the hotel (almost) but constant traffic above from 7am till11pm; beware this hotel is on the direct flight path. Overall the room was functional for a business trip, in line with most raddisons, however this is brazil; cracked basin, snapped iron board, no bottle opener, no mini bar service. I'm not complaining about the place,just not in a hurry to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011