“Great cultural stop in Sao Paulo”

Museu de Arte de Sao Paulo Assis Chateaubriand - MASP
Ranked #12 of 755 things to do in Sao Paulo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Elevated over a concrete platform used for concerts and a weekly crafts fair, the Museu de Arte de São Paulo (São Paulo Art Museum, abbreviated MASP) is itself a work of art; the building is an imposing Modernist box suspended under two bright red concrete supports. Featuring classical European names such as Gauguin, Goya and Gainsborough, the museum also holds one of the largest collections of Brazilian and other Latin American artists on the continent.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Decent picture collection - seems they have collected 1-2 paintings of each great impressionist. You can see Monet / Manet / Gaugin / Van Gaugh here and others. It is a great place to stop for 1 hour in the midst of shopping in Paulista. The building is also quite an amazing piece of art

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is MASP, so I don't know why trip advisor has this under a different name. My hotel was very close to here and I had some time to kill, so I decided to walk up to MASP to check it out. The person I was traveling with spoke Portuguese, and she had a meeting so could not go with me. I have traveled to other countries where I didn't know the language and did fine so I did not anticipate any problems. When I got to the ticket counter, there was a sign in English, so I hoped the ticket agent would speak a little English. I was wrong. I am currently a grad student, and they offer a student ticket, but I was unable to get the student price because the guy didn't know what I was saying. In fact, he seemed quite annoyed that I couldn't communicate with him, so I just paid the regular adult price and moved on. You then have to get in via an elevator, and there is someone working the elevator so you cannot choose your floor. Long story short, I was able to see one floor of the museum and then had the guy yell at me in Portuguese because I didn't know what to tell him. They didn't even give me a map of the museum so I couldn't even point to the floor to show him. I ended up seeing one floor of the museum and then he took me to the exit. Of the floor I did see, it was mostly European art, nothing you can't see in any other museum in any major city. If you speak even a little Portuguese, you should do fine. However, if you don't, I would recommend skipping it.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The art collection includes great names and great works from Europe and Brazil. Go on Tuesday, it's free!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

When my daughter came to visit us from New York with her children, ages ranging from 4 to 8, we were pleasantly surprised by their reaction to the museum's lay out, and how much they enjoyed seeing the works of each artist going from one room to another and comparing the different styes of each one. The museum has an collection of works of artists from all over the world and, of course,from Brazil, which really makes the visit worth its while. A plus is its location in the heart of Avenida Paulista one of the most interesting avenues in São Paulo.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Some lovely works of art and well displayed. The restaurant was really worth a visit as well. An enjoyable afternoon