“DO BOT BOOK THE TWIN ROOM!!”
Review of We Hostel Design

We Hostel Design
London, United Kingdom
“DO BOT BOOK THE TWIN ROOM!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

It's not a twin room..! Should be sold as the worlds smallest 2 bed dorm. It's smaller than prison cell and was probably a cupboard in a precious life. The room, approximately 3m x 1.5m barely fits a single bunk bed. It's a joke that this room can be sold as advertised. Myself and girlfriend were duped to pay upfront, we arrived early and couldn't view the room before check in but had to pay. We were then stuck with this shoebox. Very questionable management.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Dan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This HH hostel is an old mansion from the 20´s with certain character in the overall architecture. It has been established less than 2 years ago, so the rooms, kitchen and bathrooms are clean and in good condition overall, yet to show signs of wear and tear with time. It is conveniently located, close to public transportation to many attractions in São Paulo, such as the Ibirapuera Park, Modern Art Museum. The Congonhas Airport is a $10 taxi ride away from the hostel. And of course, São Paulo is known for excellent culinary options, there are hundreds of restaurants in the region with varying prices for all pockets and tastes. Buses and subway are the affordable options to be chosen, being the closer subway station in a 20 min walking distance uphill (be prepared). The design and art déco inspiration are used to attract people for gatherings toward themes, so expect some busy evenings with folks happily drinking and eating in the hostel bar, where nearby some of the dorms are located. Anyways, I doubt if anyone in a touristic venture travels to a busy nightlife city like São Paulo to stay in a hostel is looking for sleeping and resting.

Room Tip: If you need to sleep or rest, stay away from the bar which can be busy until late everning. And also...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The place is amazing, lots of character and a great breakfast. The staff were so helpful, especially Fernando! We originally were staying in the twin private, which is not good deal rather be in a dorm. It's so small you can hardly move. We changed to the double private which is excellent if you're willing to cough up the cash. It's so nice, has a hue private balcony and wide screen tv. Bit expensive though.

• Stayed June 2013
London
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Beautiful hostel in a safe, clean, location. Very friendly staff, excellent beds, very highly recommended. I checked in planning to stay one day, stayed for a week!
Breakfast is very good, fruit, strong coffee, toast, cheese and meat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We Hostel Design is great: when you enter the porch you feel like you've just booked a private villa. The design of the place is really nice, never overdone and sometimes smart solutions to give some style to simple things like a bathroom.

The breakfast is indeed good: the best coffee I've had in South America in two months, fresh fruit and the freshly baked cakes everyday!

The neighbourhood is really safe: a supermarket is closeby and the subway-station is a 10-15 minute walk uphill away. The MAM and MAC (modern art museums) are also at walkable distance and in the most popular park of Sao Paulo.

The breakfast- and cleaningstaff is superb and friendly, even making up your bed everyday (in a hostel that's unique!) And I did not count the amount of times that they cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen, but they were clean all day!

The boys at the frontdesk are friendly, but not all of them speak well enough English to help you out with your questions. And I noticed that they didn't know that much about the neighbourhood (where to find another laundryplace than the one that is two blocks away - that could only do the laundry in 5 days)).

There are just two critical notes. (Luckily the guy working on the day of my checkout asked me if they could improve anything, so I could tell him that...And yes, I think this is the best question any hostel should ask on the day of departure!!!!)

1. The noise at the patio. All the rooms have a window to the patio and during my stay is was quiet at nights. However, the windows do not shut completely and no noise is reduced, so in the morning you will probably wake up by Even with my earplugs in I could hear every word of the people that woke up a few hours after I got home ;) Just keep this in mind if you are going out in Sao Paulo during the weekend and want to sleep in the day after.

2. I went to the frontdesk two times because I thought I might found bedbugs. I had bites all over my legs and I wanted to know if I could have everything washed there. Both times I got the same answer: "if you want to wash you can go to the laundry two blocks away". I went there and they could only wash things in 5 days. I finally found one that could do my laundry the same day and I had to pay 45 B$ for that (which is more than $20,- ). I checked the bed and everything myself and couldnt find anything, so I concluded that it might have been sandflea-bites from a daytrip I did. Nevertheless I expected a more pro-active attitude from the staff and at least in a case like this, an option to get everything washed in the hostel, just as a precaution to make sure it wouldn't spread in the hostel in case it was bedbugs.

That said: I would definitely consider to go here again if I needed a quiet neighbourhood and was not planning to sleep-in after a good night out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LiveLikeTom
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

A really cool, modern yet charming house in a very safe area of Sao paulo, the we hostel was one of our favorite places during out visit to south america. The owner is extremely helpful and has a great energy which rubs off to the other members of staff! I will not forget him setting up the tv for the man utd vs real Madrid game and ordering in a pizza for us! Small things go a long way! Breakfast was also delicious. Whoever stays here will br impressed! Tip - check out the nearby park!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Engo77
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed for almost two weeks in this incredibly design hostel.
The owner is very friendly and makes everything to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
The breakfast is DELICIIOUS, the living room and the TV room are "like at home", the rooms and bathrooms are perfectly clean.
The kitchen makes you want to become the "cook of the year" !
Definitively a place I recommend !

Room Tip: prefer the 7 bed dorms instead of the 6 bed dorms, it is much bigger and cheaper.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends