“Most ridiculous experience ever”

Praca da Arvore Hostel
Stockholm, Sweden
“Most ridiculous experience ever”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I've been around to many places in my life, but never have I experienced such a ridiculous thing as what happened at the Praca da Arvore Hostel. I had been there previously at one occasion without trouble. The second time though this is what happened:

On the third day of my staying I found that one of my Cokes in the fridge was missing and remarked about it, even though I wasn't accusing anyone specific. All I said was that a Coke was missing and that someone must have taken it. The two present cleaning ladies started immediately turning very defensive about the whole thing and repeatedly stating that I hadn't marked the Cokes with my name, and therefore they could be removed.

I was trying to get across that even though something in the fridge isn't marked with a name it doesn't give anyone the right to take it. I wouldn't take anything that doesn't belong to me. Quite simple. This dialog lasted for maybe 2-3 minutes without any outbursts, noise, disturbance, shouting, name-calling or such. I left the scene and forgot about the whole thing.

Later on I was sitting by myself when one of the cleaning ladies showed up and confessed she had taken my Coke in the fridge and wanted to give me a new one. I said it was fine, thanked for the Coke and that everything was OK. After an hour or so one of the staffs approached me with an ultimatum that I had to apologize to the cleaning ladies or leave the hostel. Guess if I was taken aback?

I've never heard of paying guests being kicked out from hotels or hostels for minor misunderstandings. If a trifle like this one can cause you to being kicked out then you should think twice before checking into this place. The people working there seem to act more like a gang of youthful friends covering each others backs rather than a professional team of service providers.

The whole act reveals a simple lack of both judgment and maturity. Apparently the woman that had taken the Coke couldn't handle the situation and felt she had lost her face somehow, with the subsequent rationale of her being the victim and me being the bad guy. If a guest sets the place on fire, steals money, plays loud music in the middle of the night or uses violence I can understand that he/she be asked to leave. But this case is just too far out. Ridiculous is the word.

Furthermore; being a foreigner this really didn't help the image of Brazil.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Boris N
Hostel266, Gerente at Praca da Arvore Hostel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello Boris,

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that the Hostel has new manager and staff, if you give us a chance we'll do our best to change your image about our Hostel and Country.

Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Warm people and great staff!!. Quite cheap also. The only thing is that is not very close to the metro station so you have to walk quite a bit

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Thank you, hope to see you again soon!
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I won't recommend this HI hostel to anyone who visits Sao Paulo. Is far from the center of the city. Worst thing is the hotel is located an inclined road so every morning you should climb up the street and then walk four or five blocks to reach the metro station (they say its near bur it's not).

You know, I paid for one kind of room and ended in a dormitory with seven other people. You can imagine how bad the situation was at the morning with all these people trying to go the bathroom and the noise when someone entered the room in the middle of the night.

Be careful, they don't accept VISA credit cards. I had an argument with the staff because of that and they were about to call the police because I only had Peruvian currency. Lucky me a guy sold me some dollars to pay the bill. Because of that problem, I lost my bus connection to Rio and ended with a terrible backache for carrying my luggage thru the inclined road.

I will never return to Praça da Arvore, it's the worst hostel I've been in my life.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank killthepixelnow
Hello dear,

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with us. Please know that the Hostel now has a new manager and staff, if you have the opportunity to come back to São Paulo we'll be glad to overcome your expectations and erase this bad image you have from our Hostel.

Thank you!
Rondebosch, South Africa
Reviewed 1 July 2007

This HI hostel is a great place to stay if you need to be near Congonhas airport in Sao Paulo. We only stayed a night, but it was clean, comfortable and spacious and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was amazing - the best we had the whole month we were in Brasil.

• Liked — The friendly and excellent service!
  • Disliked — beds just a little hard?
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mmre
Thank you! It has been a long time, we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sao Paulo
Purple House Hostel
#39 of 559 in Sao Paulo
Viva Hostel Design
#9 of 559 in Sao Paulo

Been to Praca da Arvore Hostel? Share your experiences!