“Lovely hotel, pleasant staff excellent location.”

Festa Winter Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is a clean hotel with friendly staff. Food is good and plenty of it. Located 3 minute walk from main resort area. Strongly recommend it, is definitely the best hotel in the resort. Ski area is also about a minute walk. Rooms very spacious and classy but a little too warm.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Fionaat23

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I have to start by saying that I agree with a previous reviewer in that if I had relied on some of the published reviews to help me make a decision on whether to stay here then I may not have done. However, I am extremely glad that I did decide to try the Winter Palace as it it really is excellent.

My wife and I have visited Borovets on previous occasions but have always stayed at The Lion which is a brilliant hotel but this time we wanted to be 'in resort' rather than a minibus or taxi ride away. We looked around some of the other central hotels on previous visits and although many were ok we wanted something a little better.

Despite reading TripAdvisor reviews that seemed to suggest that the staff were awful, we found the complete opposite to be the case. We have found out that there has been a considerable change of staff in the last twelve months and this may have lead to an apparent change in this perception. We were always greeted with a cheery smile or hello and the majority of the staff had a good command of English, or indeed multiple languages, and everyone was extremely helpful. I must also say that this is particularly true of the reception staff, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. They all had an excellent manner with a good understanding of customer relations and response to any question or request was prompt, courteous and complete. There is one particular receptionist who is a young man in his mid twenties who was exceptionally helpful and seemed to really want to go the extra mile to be of service, exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this class. I will agree that Bulgarian 5 star is not what you would expect from 5 star in the UK but it is pretty damn close particularly when it comes to service at this hotel. Also the cleaning staff are always cleaning something so the public areas are always immaculate!

The rooms are spacious, warm, clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are also of a very high standard. When it comes to the food which is a subject that many, particularly British, visitors seem to complain about, I would have to say that what you get is particularly Bulgarian. Having been to this resort several times before we knew what to expect and just embraced it for what it is. The food is often simple, good wholesome dishes with something that would suit everyone. There is always a good selection of fresh fruit and salad and the main courses are usually based around meat and potatoes but this is typical of the region and we found it to be very tasty and there was always plenty of it. I have to say that the Kavarma was superb! Also the variety of cakes that were always available were most agreeable! My only single small criticism was the toaster was a little dodgy but when it was playing up one of the staff had toast made for us in the kitchen so no real dramas there!

To summarise I would have to say that having looked around and spoken with guests at other hotels, the Festa Winter Palace is the best hotel in the resort centre with regard to standard of accommodation, food and service. It is also in a superb location only a two minute walk from the usual meeting points for activities etc. We are certainly planning on returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank BroadcastEngineer
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Firstly I just wanted to say don't be put off by the poor/terrible reviews of this hotel. I almost was and I'm very glad I decided to see for myself! I will also say don't arrive here expecting an English 5* hotel. Stay in England if that's what you want- this is bulgaria with its different food, culture, people. I think some people writing reviews have forgotten this!

I travelled here with my husband, 12 month old baby and my parents. We stayed 7 nights on a beginners skiing holiday. The location of the hotel was good. It was 2 minutes walk from the centre yet usually very quiet.

When we arrived the travel cot we had requested was all set up with sheets, quilt pillow. The room was large, although we had booked one standard and one superior double other than the price there wasn't much difference between the two. The bathroom was large, with a shower over bath, toilet, bidet, towels and toiletries. There were a couple of areas that needed attention in the room, (chip in bath, small area of damaged wall paper near window,) but nothing that we couldn't happily live with. The TV was large with satellite although only a few English channels. Plenty of storage space, a safety deposit box and two chairs around a small table. Chamber maids visited daily and bedding and towels were change mid week. Dressing gowns and slippers were provided, we used these to visit the pool as everyone else seemed to.

We stayed on a half board basis and found plenty to eat at every meal. Breakfast was buffet style with toast, cereal, cooked items such as continental sausage and bacon, eggs, bakes beans (selection varied from day to day,) fruit, yoghurt, cooked meats, cheeses, pancakes with honey and Nutella, bagels, croissants, biscuits, tea, coffee, juice and the list goes on!

Dinner was also nice with a large selection of Bulgarian salads, chips or potatoes, rice, pasta and sauce, chicken, pork, beef, Bulgarian specialities and English favourites. The only thing we were a little surprised with is the fact that you pay for all drinks you order- not even water is offered free. We asked around our ski school class and this seems common in all hotels in the resort. We were offered a high chair on most visits but we knew where it was when we weren't.

The staff were very friendly, polite and professional. Many made a fuss of our son and I feel we were well looked after throughout our stay. I noticed some Bulgarians have an abrupt nature and this may be mistaken for rudeness (as mentioned in previous reviews.) On the few occasions we needed to request something from reception our requests were met promptly and courteously. The hotel all seemed very clean.

We enjoyed our visits to the pool although found it a little cool. We didn't have any treatments in the spa but the staff were friendly when we used the pool and prices looked reasonable. Again this area was very clean and especially well kept.

We will be using this hotel on any return visits we make to Borovets. In comparison to other hotels in the town it seems to be one of the best.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank LouAt80
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed in Feb for 5 nights a family of 4 and we had a great time.
Rooms are large (the family suite which has a bed room and a large living room with 2 additional beds).
The staff of the hotel were very very friendly, starting from the reception people, the restaurant staff (they prepared a cake for my kids 7th birthday), and the SPA personal.
The hotel is located 50m from the 4 man chair lift, and right by all the restaurants and main road (which is pretty small...)
The SPA in the hotel is amazing, clean, has all the facilities one needs after a day of ski, and it's all included in the price.
I highly recommend this hotel.
right b

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2013

It is a real palace and amazing place. The stuff were very nice and welcoming, the indoor swimming pool was a bit cold for me although it said 28.5 deg. Amazing spa which sauna is included. Location of the hotel is good, not at the center but walking distance to the main street. We had a free wifi in the room as well which was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Pro's
* Price deal we got was less than Hotel Lion.
* Huge Room
* Nice Spa
* Good Location (Close to a lift, you will however have to take a black one if you wan't to drop closer to the Hotel).

Con's
* staff seems to smoke outside but leave some backdoors open, so you can smell the smoke in some places.
* staff not really nice, except at reception desk (which was really helpfull)
* staff not aware on how to get a ski pass and ski's ... no comment.

Overall, the hotel was 7/10. Nice if you get a good price. Average for the listed prices.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Little S
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We have just returned from a weeks skiing in Borovets and were really impressed by this hotel. It may not be 5 star by UK standards but is easily the best hotel in Borovets. The public areas are beautiful and clean, the decor really impressive, the food is great and the bar reasonably cheap compared to the bars by the ski slopes.
We booked a double room but got a suite, so loads of room, plenty of drawer space and a fantastic shower with body jets.
Pool, steam room, gym, sauna and wifi are great and all free to use.
My only complaint is that the rooms/hotel were very hot, but it was -13 outside, we just switched the radiators off. And on one night the music from the downstairs bar was loud enough to keep us awake, but having asked them to turn it down, they did.
Also the exchange rate was better than at the local banks.
We will definitely stay here if we come again. 5 mins walk to the ski depot and slopes, 10 mins to the gondola.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple