“Don't waste your time.”

Ranked #3 of 10 Borovets B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your time.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Terrible experience, room were dirty, dogs would bark all night, food was rarely hot, for the WiFi I had to pay extra money then the router stopped working a couple of times,I had to ask for toilet paper and towels whenever I needed,one morning I woke up and the water wasn't running because the pipes were blocked, we went downstairs, let them know about it, went skiing, got back to the hotel and pipes were still blocked, I had to go to see them again, eventually they decided to unblock the pipes,location is 15/20 minutes walk from the runs, borovets is nice, don't ruin your stay by staying in that hotel

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ovidios79

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Birmingham
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Returned from this hotel on Feb 1st 2014 having spent a week there,I just fancied something different although my husband and myself don't ski. The hotel was about 4 stories high and very warm and cosy inside I was worried I might be cold but this wasn't the case. I found the two single beds spacious and comfy enough although a bit dippy in the middle.the restaurant was in the cellar the breakfast was indeed very basic as others have stated on this site I don't really mind that except on the mornings we had boiled eggs they seem to have been boiled the night before because no matter how early we got down there they were stone cold with black rings around the yokes and yes there was spam in one form or another with every meal which made me smile having read previous comments. The staff worked hard and were very pleasant.The dinners were ok but I found again they were not served hot enough for me they were sitting in warmers when I mentioned that I didn't find it hot enough the young lady said she would gladly warm it in the microwave for me which is what we did most mealtimes. The location is about a twenty minute walk uphill to the main ski area and bars ect hard going every day in the snow .Outside every bar and cafe you get pestered to come in and eat which wears you down after a while . We went on the mini bus to the next town of Samacov which was good because it was more on the flat and not so touristy if we had been braver we would have ventured further afield maybe to the capital of Sofia,but as it was overall it was a nice little break in picturesque surroundings.
Just one final little point no one came to clean the room or empty the bins not that I wanted them too ,but I'm just mentioning it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The pros
Pretty hotel. Lovely family room up top. Warm and spacious.
Food ok. 4 courses but food very fatty.( No fruit at breakfast despite Balkan assuring me there WAS before we left)
Cheap as a late deal (which we did) but not before. You could get cheaper in the Alps!
Room was clean. I asked for them not to come in and clean it for the week so can't comment on that. I picked clean towels up myself when i saw the towel room open! Otherwise would have been given one a week probably!

Cons
Didn't bother us as we're fit but its a 15 min walk to centre, not a 350 metre one as stated.
Staff very nosy watching you all the time as you go up and down stairs
Penny pinching; we dropped a glass and they didn't ask was everyone ok, they wanted 5 levs for it!
Gave us butter out of the wrapper after day 2 because the use by date was up (I saw the date on the butter on Jan 8th said use by Jan 8th. next day it was given to us unwrapped!)
Dog next door (not a "wild dog " as stated by one reviewer; we could see it from our bedroom window at the top. If Id known I'd have brought some sleeping pills with me and given them to it each night!!!! ) barks ALL night and keeps you awake.
You had to ask for loo roll EVERY DAY! There were 4 of us and they'd give us one roll!!! Had to ask every morning for water as only juice was out, and every evening had to ask for butter with the bread.
Stair carpet is hanging off and you could trip on it.

Slopes were ok but ski school a joke. 2 mornings were wasted as we said our kids are red and black run skiers and have been for years and we are red and blue skiers and both mornings they put us in a beginners group on the nursery slopes?! Both mornings we left in disgust and didn't bother after that second day! The kids had fun on all the reds and blacks (They've skied for 9 years) despite the instructor saying they were not good skiers. !!!!!!Hubby nearly blew a gasket at that point so we made a hasty retreat and went off alone. Sooooo annoyed! the cheek of him!

Probably the worst place we've been skiing, and would never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank discodeeva

Travellers are raving about these Borovets hotels

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

On arrival to this hotel the outside was pleasant and the pathway had been shoveled for a risk free walk to the front door. We were greeted by the staff who with there best English advised us where our rooms were and notified us to put our bags away and have a shower if we wanted and then to come back down stairs and they would cook us some food. This was a very nice surprise to say we arrived just after 9 and we weren't expecting anything as we new the restaurant would be closed. The food in the restaurant is not as good as your mums home cooking but it is hot and cooked to order and all comes with chips, soup or salad for starter and cake or a piece of fruit for dessert was fine for us. Drinks reasonably priced as well just don't have a red-bull! the walk to the slope was manageable for a group of guys in early 20's, got tiring towards the end but that is to be expected when burning the candle at both ends. Our room was clearly a twin with and extra bed to make it suitable for 3 people, the third camp bed was blocking the balcony and the wardrobe but we opened one door of the wardrobe so we could still use it and never felt the need to go onto the balcony so we again were happy. Room was cleaned and tidied on a regular basis. Staff very helpful and polite on every occasion however language barrier proved difficult sometimes, but more than manageable. overall a very enjoyable stay, dogs noise was not a problem and these are Wild/stray dogs not in the owners control.

Room Tip: 1 floor room at the front of the hotel was ideal for a twin
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LovettCM
England
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not for a romantic trip to the slopes! It is however great value - the smoking area is a little lean to that you walk through on arrival so that's why people moan about smoke. Once inside it is smoke free. Room was fine with wet room and super powerful shower. The resort is a steep 10min walk away and unlit but we just stored our boards at bobbys bar for free and then took the hotel minibus for £1.50 to get to resort, walked back down and when drunk in the evening it is a fiver in a cab. Not bad really.
Food was funny with a Greek/Russian/Hungarian etc salad to start then a soup then three choices of main with one being omelette. Then a cake slice. Two things we learnt at dinner - go about 630pm and ask other guests what is good! And when a dish is served with garnish, that means fries! That is the same in resort. Breakfast is good with two cereals and toast, tea and filter coffee then they bring a plate of meat/cheese/egg and a piece of salad veg. This can bring odd combos with salami, feta cheese , fried egg and two cucumber slices one morning but personally I don't think you should expect full English.

Food in resort is very cheap - two beers and a wood fired pizza cooked outside next to you is a tenner! The local beer is pretty good and is around £1.70 a pint so less than half that of French resorts!

Trouble with this hotel is the dog next door - this dog barks at 2/3/4/5am and if you are light sleeper then you cannot stay at this hotel!

Half price holiday compared to French alps but more than half as good!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Braizy
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

we are currently staying here.our room was dirty so we were upgraded to the family 2 bed apartment at the top of the hotel which is really nice with a bath.the tv does not work.this is the furthest hotel from the slope.there are others much closer.we werent sure about the food at first but tonites wad excellent and four courses.i have not had a good nights sleep since i got here due to next doors dogs which bark for most of the night.however we find the staff here very friendly and will do anything to help you.its raining at the moment and the conditions are not good.lots of runs closed.i would however come back here but would stay somewhere like the yanikiev and would come earlier in the season.if you have ski lessons ask for toni.he is brilliant and great fun.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Me and my family visit this lovely hotel for the second winter. We all are in love with everything there. First of all which in my opinion is the most important for one hotel are the rooms. we used 3 rooms because we were quite a lot of people and all of them were so tidy and clean.Each time when we go back from the slopes our rooms have been extremely clean and they smell so nice. actually i didn't smell smoke on none of our rooms as that was mentioned in some of the previous reviews. I was very touched that on their mother's day the staff was thinking for their guest as well, also i think on the beginning of march which in Bulgaria they celebrate the start of the spring we get as present a typical bracelet with red and white colours which is for health, this is very very touching of their behalf and very good cultural experience they want to show us their traditions which is amazing :) At the hotel they have wonderful fireplace where me and my husband enjoy it so much :):):) the food was extremely good I love Bulgarian food :) our kids enjoy the snow and jacuzzi as well even now when we back home we start to think for our next winer holiday which will be definitely in Hotel Victoria for sure :):):)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family