“Hotel ski school - Excelant”
Review of Samokov Hotel

Samokov Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Hotel ski school - Excelant”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Room - Clean and comfortable
Dining room - Clean ish, Food - ok nothing special
Ski Kindergarten - Fantastic. My son had 1to1 ski tuition with George, he spoke very good English and was amazing at teaching him. Nelly looked after my son after the lesson. He was very happy to stay and play with her.
Would highly recommend for a budget, beginner family ski holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just returned from a weeks stay at Hotel Samokov and were very happy with this hotel. It is very well located in Borovets, just minutes away from the gondola and centre of town. We had read poor reviews so were slightly apprehensive about the hotel but were overall very happy. Our room was large and clean with fridge which we didn't expect. We didn't have much to do with the hotel staff but what we did was fine. We stayed bed and breakfast as we like to try different places for dinner and the breakfast was plentiful and served from 8-10am. We ate early daily (some days we were in the restaurant by 7.45am and food was all ready), a wide selection of food is available and as a vegetarian and a meat eater we were able to both find something to eat.
We used the free pool several times and this is in need of work although perfectly fine for a quick swim but is rather cool! We also used the Jacuzzi for 30 minutes costing about £2.50 each. I also had a spa treatment for less than £30 which included use of the thermal area and a full hour massage- recommended.
We also loved the pancakes available in the lobby in the afternoon for less than £1 which are prepared in front of you.
On the negative side the shower/bath was not properly sealed so leaked every time it was used, the sheet on the large bed was far too small so moved straight away and was very annoying and the lifts were awful- they often when up before taking you down and on one occasion took us from our floor to reception, refused to open then went back again- we got out and used a different one.
Overall we were very happy with our selection of Hotel Samokov for our holiday in Borovets- yes it could do with updating but it served its purpose for our stay and was a bargain as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liabellie
Surrey
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel, once with a group in 2010 and once this year on my own.
I was happy as a whole with the hotel for a weeks half board and would stay there again.
The advantages are the position. It is near to the gondola and the hotel ski school /storage if you are using it. There are facilities there which you can see on their website. Some of which you pay more for. Other hotels do not have any of these.
The room, for me personally was fine, although others may not agree. The carpet and bath looked like they had been renewed in the last couple of years. The sofa bed had worn upholstery but I was aware I was paying less for this hotel, so that was fine for me. The room was warm, had a TV, fridge and was a good size. The bathroom and toilet are in separate rooms.
For breakfast, I would have a cereal followed by scrambled egg and bacon, of which the latter was cooked to an acceptable standard.
The evening meal, personnaly was fine for me. There were some hot items that I would not eat, especially when one was described as mixed meat mince but even allowing for this there was always something for me to eat. I eat out on three of the nights because they were functions rather than not being happy with the food,
There is a pancake bar where you can get a filled pancake for 2 lev, near the reception area.
I am sorry if I disagree with other people but this hotel was fine for me. I did not find any of the staff rude at all.
If you are wanting a hotel with better furnishings, food etc, you will generally speaking have to pay for it.
I knew the first time I went to Borovets the the 4 star rating was a local rating, so did not expect a
4 star Holiday Inn type hotel for my money.
I would reccomend taking your own iron, kettle, tea bags, a mug, Euro plug adaptor and a UK 1 to 4 adaptor, as there is normally only one spare plug. Try and keep your empty bottle of water you purchased after going through departures, then go to a local supermarket and buy the largest water bottle to fill up your small bottle during the day.
In general if you are in any way fussy about your food, go for bed and breakfast, if you are happy to have a reasonable evening meal go for half board.
I used the ski school and it was great.
All in all I am more than happy with this hotel and can add two and two together to realise a hotel with all these facilites in the middle of a resort to a higher standard means paying more money.

Room Tip: Bring your own iron, kettle, tea bags, mug, Euro plug adaptor and a UK 1 to 4 adaptor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert_C193
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Ok so this hotel is not what you would describe as luxurious but then it isn't a total hell hole either. The best thing about it is it's location, right bang in the centre of the resort and directly opposite the gondola station.

The rooms are basic, and the hotel is large and busy. The lifts seem to take ages to come. I did feel like I spent a large amount of time waiting for lifts. We were on the 7th floor, so climbing stairs after a long day on the slopes is not all that fun!

I used the swimming pool which is free for guests and no it's not warm like a bath but I wouldn't say it was any more chilly than a pool in your local leisure centre. I enjoyed my swim, it was pleasant!

The staff were polite, not warm and welcoming but seemed efficient. We had a baby with us and the cot was actually up and had bedding in on arrival. I know this should be the case as standard but it's surprising in how many hotels you have to spend time chasing the staff for the cot that you asked for when you booked the hotel!

As to children's facilities - not great, I didn't see a play area, perhaps I missed it, but the staff were fairly helpful when it came to providing hot water for bottles etc.

It's not a 4 star hotel by British standards but then this is Bulgaria and things are more basic. It's also a good deal cheaper per night than a British 4 star hotel!!

Yes perhaps there are nicer hotels in Borovets but all in all it did the job it was a clean place to sleep, it did a decent breakfast with a lot to choose from, the location is excellent and it didn't cost a fortune.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We are a family of five..the hotel is very worn and is very basic! But did the job -we were out skiing all day so only slept there...it just need a refurbishment!! Photos must have been taken when it was first built!!
Plenty of food but just not up to what I expected!we ate our evening meal in there 3 times then went out every night -there are some lovely restaurants ...I did read the reviews before going out there so wasn't too surprised when we got to our room!...so glad I did read reviews as I would have been extremely disappointed...wouldn't go there as a couple! We had twin beds!!
..plenty for kids to do-bowling, shooting, swimming, pool tables and table tennis...and wifi is free in the lobby!
Take a travel kettle and mug for your room! You might find it handy (and take your own tea bags!) that's my top tip.
We had a fab week and although the hotel was alittle run down it was clean and our towels were changed every day...we laughed about it and that's what holidays are about! Fun and laughter and we sure had that!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Firstly, as many have already specified, the ski school guys were great and if could be rated they would get 5 stars plus from us. With the conditions as difficult as they were, they did an excellent job of getting people out and on the limited pistes. The ski hire at the Samokov is very convenient in the basement.
The rooms we had were clean, small towels but changed daily. The decor boring and dated, but everything worked, shower was excellent, powerful and hot. The beds more comfortable then they looked at first glance.
The food can best be described as unimaginative and repetitive. Salad each day was good and clean, but little variation over the week. The same can be said for breakfast, there is enough choice to suit everyone. The smoked ham was superb, but not available every day :( .
Although it was half board, Bovorets is not expensive and you can afford to eat out for a couple of nights, to break the monotony of sameness of the buffet menus, many of the bar/restuarants provide a wider choice.
Didn't find anyone rude in the hotel or in Boverets, the bar hawkers were low key and generally took a no with good grace.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Mosta, Malta
Reviewed 19 February 2014

During our stay at Samokov Hotel we had the chance to Ski offered by the Hotel which was very helpful and an excellent service to us. Instructor was helpful and we learned to ski well for the first time. The stay at this hotel was very comfortable with a big room filled with everthing needed including a balcony with a great view of the mountains. I would definitely go back again if same offer is applied next year

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple