“Ski instructors are amazing!”
Review of Samokov Hotel

Samokov Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 days skiing with the ski school and jenny and nick the instructors were fantastic. 1 day I Nick took me out in my own and ran me down a crazy closed route. I has the best time! My skiing has greatly improved via the tough love Bulgarian teaching style. The 4 hour session actually started at 9:30 and finished in a bar for inch at about. 3 so you more than get your money's worth. They both also took is out for dinner one evening which was also fab, I can't rate them highly enough!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I arrived on 18th jan 2014 and all i can say is the hotel seemed spectacular! Got checked in and to my room within 5 mins of arrival. The rooms are clean and well suited. Beds are comfy and everything changed daily. Plenty of facilities in the hotel including bars, food, currency exchange, a mini-supermarket, a pharmacist's and ski shops! Only a two minute wall up the 'strip' to the slopes. Also a main gondola right outside the hotel. If you get offered "rakia" take it. Its around 80% proof and actually tastes great! The food in borovets is great! The beer is great too! Been trying to find kamenitza since i got home but no.luck! Whilst on the slopes have lunch at black tiger! Free shots every time! Overall i give hotel samokov and borovets 4 out of 5!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 18 March 2014

If your looking for a fantastic and cheap ski holiday then this is for you!! The resort is small but very friendly with all restaurants and bars providing good value food.
The hotel is in need of a little renevation but all room are clean and comfortable. The food was what you would expect, plenty of variety so you could find food to eat at all times.
The only disappointmnet was the lack of snow and some of the run being closed so come the end of the week we were a little fed up of doing the same run. However that being said i would happily reutn to the resort and hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
1  Thank Wilma900
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Room - Clean and comfortable
Dining room - Clean ish, Food - ok nothing special
Ski Kindergarten - Fantastic. My son had 1to1 ski tuition with George, he spoke very good English and was amazing at teaching him. Nelly looked after my son after the lesson. He was very happy to stay and play with her.
Would highly recommend for a budget, beginner family ski holiday.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just returned from a weeks stay at Hotel Samokov and were very happy with this hotel. It is very well located in Borovets, just minutes away from the gondola and centre of town. We had read poor reviews so were slightly apprehensive about the hotel but were overall very happy. Our room was large and clean with fridge which we didn't expect. We didn't have much to do with the hotel staff but what we did was fine. We stayed bed and breakfast as we like to try different places for dinner and the breakfast was plentiful and served from 8-10am. We ate early daily (some days we were in the restaurant by 7.45am and food was all ready), a wide selection of food is available and as a vegetarian and a meat eater we were able to both find something to eat.
We used the free pool several times and this is in need of work although perfectly fine for a quick swim but is rather cool! We also used the Jacuzzi for 30 minutes costing about £2.50 each. I also had a spa treatment for less than £30 which included use of the thermal area and a full hour massage- recommended.
We also loved the pancakes available in the lobby in the afternoon for less than £1 which are prepared in front of you.
On the negative side the shower/bath was not properly sealed so leaked every time it was used, the sheet on the large bed was far too small so moved straight away and was very annoying and the lifts were awful- they often when up before taking you down and on one occasion took us from our floor to reception, refused to open then went back again- we got out and used a different one.
Overall we were very happy with our selection of Hotel Samokov for our holiday in Borovets- yes it could do with updating but it served its purpose for our stay and was a bargain as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank liabellie
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel, once with a group in 2010 and once this year on my own.
I was happy as a whole with the hotel for a weeks half board and would stay there again.
The advantages are the position. It is near to the gondola and the hotel ski school /storage if you are using it. There are facilities there which you can see on their website. Some of which you pay more for. Other hotels do not have any of these.
The room, for me personally was fine, although others may not agree. The carpet and bath looked like they had been renewed in the last couple of years. The sofa bed had worn upholstery but I was aware I was paying less for this hotel, so that was fine for me. The room was warm, had a TV, fridge and was a good size. The bathroom and toilet are in separate rooms.
For breakfast, I would have a cereal followed by scrambled egg and bacon, of which the latter was cooked to an acceptable standard.
The evening meal, personnaly was fine for me. There were some hot items that I would not eat, especially when one was described as mixed meat mince but even allowing for this there was always something for me to eat. I eat out on three of the nights because they were functions rather than not being happy with the food,
There is a pancake bar where you can get a filled pancake for 2 lev, near the reception area.
I am sorry if I disagree with other people but this hotel was fine for me. I did not find any of the staff rude at all.
If you are wanting a hotel with better furnishings, food etc, you will generally speaking have to pay for it.
I knew the first time I went to Borovets the the 4 star rating was a local rating, so did not expect a
4 star Holiday Inn type hotel for my money.
I would reccomend taking your own iron, kettle, tea bags, a mug, Euro plug adaptor and a UK 1 to 4 adaptor, as there is normally only one spare plug. Try and keep your empty bottle of water you purchased after going through departures, then go to a local supermarket and buy the largest water bottle to fill up your small bottle during the day.
In general if you are in any way fussy about your food, go for bed and breakfast, if you are happy to have a reasonable evening meal go for half board.
I used the ski school and it was great.
All in all I am more than happy with this hotel and can add two and two together to realise a hotel with all these facilites in the middle of a resort to a higher standard means paying more money.

Room Tip: Bring your own iron, kettle, tea bags, mug, Euro plug adaptor and a UK 1 to 4 adaptor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert_C193
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Ok so this hotel is not what you would describe as luxurious but then it isn't a total hell hole either. The best thing about it is it's location, right bang in the centre of the resort and directly opposite the gondola station.

The rooms are basic, and the hotel is large and busy. The lifts seem to take ages to come. I did feel like I spent a large amount of time waiting for lifts. We were on the 7th floor, so climbing stairs after a long day on the slopes is not all that fun!

I used the swimming pool which is free for guests and no it's not warm like a bath but I wouldn't say it was any more chilly than a pool in your local leisure centre. I enjoyed my swim, it was pleasant!

The staff were polite, not warm and welcoming but seemed efficient. We had a baby with us and the cot was actually up and had bedding in on arrival. I know this should be the case as standard but it's surprising in how many hotels you have to spend time chasing the staff for the cot that you asked for when you booked the hotel!

As to children's facilities - not great, I didn't see a play area, perhaps I missed it, but the staff were fairly helpful when it came to providing hot water for bottles etc.

It's not a 4 star hotel by British standards but then this is Bulgaria and things are more basic. It's also a good deal cheaper per night than a British 4 star hotel!!

Yes perhaps there are nicer hotels in Borovets but all in all it did the job it was a clean place to sleep, it did a decent breakfast with a lot to choose from, the location is excellent and it didn't cost a fortune.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family