“lovely holiday”
Review of Samokov Hotel

Samokov Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Me and my family had a great time in this hotel. The hotel is a little bit dated but the room was clean and cozy. The food was fine and the staff was friendly. But our ski instructor was just amazing! A must try!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank MRichtar
There are newer reviews for Samokov Hotel

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent Christmas here as part of my birthday also, the hotel is in a great location we bought it as a ski package holiday me and a friend, the hotel supplied us with the skiing equipment and off we went with our personal tutor designated from the hotel there are many nightclubs and bars around the corner and shops.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nick O
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have stayed here twice over the last four years. It is extremely dated and our room stank of mildew last time around. Bits of plaster was falling off the walls and the room looked quite dirty, mainly due to the fact that the carpet was threadbare and the furniture was so drab. They have recently stopped people from smoking in the ground floor bar area, thank God, as it was disgusting. However the smell of stale smoke still prevails throughout the hotel! That said, the rooms are a good size and have a balcony. It is pretty good value, though there are other more modern places that are similarly priced (eg. flora/royal plaza). The Samokov is centrally located with a convenient ski school located in the basement. The pool is great, if not a bit on the chilly side!
The food is pretty dire. Served stone cold. We only stay here if we get a bargain last minute deal, as we usually rent an apartment and go self catering. At least that way we ensure the food is served hot and we get a bit of variety.
Bulgaria, and Borovets, may be stuck in the 1970's, but at least the resort is affordable and friendly. The Samovok is fine for a weeks stay. You spend so much time on the slopes and in the town, you literally just sleep here, so if you get a last minute bargain, then go for it!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank planetwanderer
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a second time earlier this year & had another lovely experience. The hotel itself is basic, but it had all the necessities that make it good value. The rooms are basic but clean, as is the bathroom. We ate breakfast every morning but went out for tea at night time. We did eat in the panorama restaurant one night, which we had free as we booked a neilson holiday. I would highly recommend taking the time to go here. The food is gorgeous and the view is lovely. The hotel all round is clean and the staff are friendly, the bar at the hotel isn't too expensive and there is a small shop where you can buy a few basics. If you see the pancake man late afternoon in the lobby I would definitely say to try those! Exactly what you need after a day one the slopes! We also had a massage on our last day at the spa, that was quite cheap & made a lovely end to our holiday.
The samokov resort itself is a fab place to be. The slopes are lovely, perfect for beginner skiers as there are a lot of blue slopes at the top of the mountains. The samokov instructors are very friendly & helpful, as are the bar and restaurant staff around the resort. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our second holiday here & will most likely be returning again next year. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Harriet393
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I visited the Samokov from the first week of April with another couple, and were very happy with the value for money that we received for this skiing holiday.

Hotel

Personally, I am more of a sun holiday kind of girl and this was my first time skiing. We booked the Samokov as myself and the other female in our party were not sure whether we were going to try skiing or not, whereas the husbands are intermediate Skiiers/Boarders. So we booked the Samokov for a) the location and b) the facilities (especially the spa)!

For us, it was perfect. The hotel is a little bit dated, but then Borovet's itself has it's own quirky little village feel about it, so anything that was really modern would have felt out of place.

The rooms were comfy, always clean and warm, and basically gave you what you needed to chill out and sleep. The Spa was beautiful, always clean and was only 14lev to use (equivalent around £6). The treatments were really cheap too, with an hour full body massage around 40lev (under £20).

It's buffet food, so the sort of thing that you would usually expect. However there was a lot of variety, lots of hot food, salad, fruit, soup desserts...we certainly ate quite well over the week! We upgraded to "full board" when booking so we were able to have lunch too. If you wanted a day on the slopes, the restarurant staff would provide you with a packed lunch to take with you - no trouble. We also had drinks included with our meal, which meant that we could get drinks in the evening between 6 ad 10. It wasn't a problem to keep going back into the restaurant to get more drinks and take them out to the bar during these hours!

Skiing

So we went late in the season, and as expected a lot of the runs were shut. However the slopes at the top of the Gondola were still covered - there were enough runs open for the husbands to ski all week! The Gondola life is right outside the hotel, and if you didn't have a lift pass (which my friend and I didn't) then you would get a return trip for only 15lev (around £6). This was great if we wanted to just go to the top and sit eating BBQ food and drinking Raiki with the Ski instructors! :)

Ski School

My friend and I decided to give it a go...and we were so glad that we did! As it was so quiet, it was much less intimidating to be in a small group (there were three of us to one instructor) and not too many people on the slopes. Our Ski Instructor Nick was fantastic, and very patient! Especially when after getting tired we started falling over a lot (or throwing ourselves on the floor in protest :) ) but Nick was patient (even when we were accidentally Skiing through him...), with the tough love thrown in for good measure. After our first ever two hour lesson we were coming down a green run! Thanks for teaching us something that we never thought that we would do Nick!

Overall

For the price that you pay for a Skiing Holiday in Bulgaria, the value was great. Ski lessons were cheap, food and drink is cheap, spa treatments are cheap...we bought lessons when we got there, ate out at The Golden Chicken one evening (recommended), visited the Spa and paid for treatments a few times, and only spent £200 per couple of spending money for a weeks stay.

Everyone if Borovets was welcoming and friendly. The fact that it was quiet due to end of season didn't bother us at all. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Katie P
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 days skiing with the ski school and jenny and nick the instructors were fantastic. 1 day I Nick took me out in my own and ran me down a crazy closed route. I has the best time! My skiing has greatly improved via the tough love Bulgarian teaching style. The 4 hour session actually started at 9:30 and finished in a bar for inch at about. 3 so you more than get your money's worth. They both also took is out for dinner one evening which was also fab, I can't rate them highly enough!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I arrived on 18th jan 2014 and all i can say is the hotel seemed spectacular! Got checked in and to my room within 5 mins of arrival. The rooms are clean and well suited. Beds are comfy and everything changed daily. Plenty of facilities in the hotel including bars, food, currency exchange, a mini-supermarket, a pharmacist's and ski shops! Only a two minute wall up the 'strip' to the slopes. Also a main gondola right outside the hotel. If you get offered "rakia" take it. Its around 80% proof and actually tastes great! The food in borovets is great! The beer is great too! Been trying to find kamenitza since i got home but no.luck! Whilst on the slopes have lunch at black tiger! Free shots every time! Overall i give hotel samokov and borovets 4 out of 5!

• Stayed: January 2014