“Good Stay @ The Lion Hotel”
Review of Hotel Lion

Hotel Lion
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Our first trip to Borovets & we came up trumps with The Lion Hotel. We got a deal for 6 of us through internet traveller & we all had a good time here. The hotel is a little way from the centre, but there are minibusses that run to & fro every 15/20 mins from 8.00am to 6pm. The bar area is very comfortable, open fire, plenty of seating on the ground & first floor. Free WiFi if you need it. Staff on the reception & bar were friendly. We were on the 5th floor, the room had plenty of space, beds & pillows were both comfortable, nice bathroom, well stocked minibar; only downside was a hint of stale smoke in the room. Main restaurant is big & again plenty of seating. There was always a good choice of coffee & herbal teas, cereal & hot & cold food for breakfast. Evening meals always a good selection to choose from & hot. The Mexaha Restaurant is good value; you pay an extra 20Lev per person and you can have anything you want from the extensive menu + 20% discount on drinks - beware, the meals are BIG! The pool is nice, if a little chilly, so you have to keep swimming! Saunas were big & by the end of the day were very hot. Other Info - During our stay it snowed everyday, it was very thick fog too, so the gondola & some runs were closed. Health & Safety are not a high priority when it comes to ice. The parking area in front of the hotel was not cleared of snow & became an icerink very quickly. The road leading away from the hotel is very bumpy & has big dips which quickly fill up with slush. The main walkway leading up to the slopes is treacherous underfoot - the shops & bars may clear the section to their doors if they feel like it - if you have grippers for your shoes take them! Plenty of choices for lunchtime drinks/food at the bottom of the slopes; we mainly went to the Bulgaire which had a good atmosphere & the food is really good, but if you are with a ski group, your instructor will have a selection of places to take you to. The slopes are good for mixed abilities & not too busy. The lift pass machines really need to be updated to a swipe system. You have to physically insert the card at every station which is awkward. You can buy clips with extendable string at most of the shops to attach your ticket to, but they are liable to break as our friend found out. She lost her ticket on the 2nd day - our instructor tried his best to blag another pass, but they wouldn't budge, so she had to fork out for another 4 day pass. Overall, we had a good trip, our instructor was great & we have already talked about going back again next year.

Room Tip: The higher floors give a better view (subject to fog)!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Ivan K, General Manager at Hotel Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest

I would like to thank you for your detailed review. It is very fare and the readers could picture the hotel and around just by going through the lines. I am sure that all Trip Advisor review seeker will appreciate your time and efforts to write about your “Good Stay @ The Lion Hotel”

It is indeed a pleasure for me to note that you enjoy the Lion Hotel experience and that you are happy with the hotel ambiance and the services offered.
I have to apologize for the only downside, the icy roads and parking. As you already mentioned the weather conditions this winter were the heaviest in the last 12 years and all of us – hoteliers and road maintenance company struggled to cope with the amount of snow and/or when starts to melt during the day and freezes at nighttime. Believe me, we really did our best and just by it we avoided bad accidents and memories taken back home.

I am pleased that your stay with us was so satisfying and we will be looking forward to welcome you back on many more visits to come!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Lion

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed at hotel Lion end of feb 2012. Very impressed with the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable. The maid cleaned the room every day which we were very impressed with. The bath room is also very clean.

The lobby is also a nice place to sit after a long day on the slopes by the log burning fire. The bar staff down stairs are also very friendly. We enjoyed every dinner time where we had a selection of foods to choose from the buffet. However we were disappointed with breakfast as the sausages weren't real and the beans are always cold. We even informed the staff and nothing was done about it. Also the juices were more like squash.

The last and final thing to complain about is the barking dog at night which woke us up several times in the night during the week.

Apparent from these small things. I would very much like to recommend this hotel as we were very impressed at the standard and quality.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We were pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Lion Hotel Borovetz. The hotel ambience and the quality of food is well appreciated by our clients and we one of the things we are proud of.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the sausage and beans experience at the breakfast buffet and would apologise for the fact that the barking dogs disturb your sleep.
I do guarantee for the quality of every single item on our food palette, chosen with care and attention by the Head Chef and I, therefore the sausages you have to trust me - are real. The beans are not coming from the fridge and being cold is perhaps they stayed out on the buffet for a while before you approached them. Few weeks ago I tried to call the Animal Rescue Unit to take the dogs away but I had problems with dog loving and feeding tourists and had to give it away and somehow to balance between both sides.

I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Lion Hotel next time your travels bring you to the slopes of Borovetz.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in feb 2010 and loved everything about it, it was my girlfriends first time snowboarding so we decided to go some where it was ideal for beginners. Although the skiing was probably average, I still enjoyed my time on the slopes.
The Hotel we were situated on the first floor and had a lovely view right outside of the hotel and out to the mountains. The bar was small yet very chic and comfortable we spent many an hour in there talking and enjoying times chatting with the bar staff who were very friendly and more than happy to make my girlfriend cocktails all night! Although if you are looking for bustiling night life it is not the place to go and are better off going to the town a short 15 minute walk away. We wanted it quite though due to our busy workloads before coming on holiday. The half board food is very nice and the food changes every day. There is also a restaurant you can book to use which there is a small fee, again the food was outstanding there and well worth a book. The room cleaning staff were very good and took true attention to detail with cleanliness and I have a bit of OCD so am very particular and the TV had a good couple of british channels too!!
I have been badgering my girlfriend to go back there for the last two years and we will be coming back next year 2013 or possibly for new year 2012 I hope, as we both enjoyed so much and loved the hospitality given by the hotel and its staff.

Can not wait to go back and sample the hotel and the people once again.

Joe
Vale of Glamorgan

Room Tip: ask for a view out the front or west side of hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joe m
Ivan K, General Manager at Hotel Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated by our staff and are acting as a motivating factor in our ongoing efforts to keep the service standards at the desired levels.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed here with a friend for a week in February 2012.

Firstly, the rooms were very spacious and the hotel was extremely clean. Our first night was spent in the cosy, classy hotel bar chatting to the bar staff and other new arrivals next to the alpine style fire. We had a late meal which was good and the bar staff were very friendly and honest when it came to recommending places to go in Borovets.

The first morning we experienced the breakfast which was not amazing but did fill us with hot food to get us moving for the day. I would have liked to see a bit more variety of cooked food day to day but it was overall hot and good. We snuck into the Rila one morning with friends and they had much more variety day-to-day, perhaps that is the advantage of a big hotel. However the overall hotel and rooms weren't a patch on the Lion and there was a lot of noise at night in the Rila.

We were full board and so picked up our packed lunches on our way out; they were to a very good standard. A piece of baguette with cheese, ham and salad. There were also 2 pieces of fruit and a cake.

We got a shuttle within 15mins which dropped us 5 mins walk from the depot for skis etc. We walked back each evening which was great, downhill all the way!
The evening meal was un-inspiring but was warm, had taste and filled you up after a long day on the slopes. With the prices in Borovets it is definitely worth eating out to experience the local culture for a couple of nights. Don't always go with the ski instructors recommendations though, there is usually an advantage to their recommendation.

On day 2 we had a glitch in the lunches when they were not ready and we had to wait 10 mins. We think they had been forgotten and we received the opposite of the first day, a slice of ham between 2 stale slices, and no butter. We complained that evening to the manager who was friendly and apologetic. He proceeded to give us a beer each and the lunch was brilliant all week.
We used the pool and gym during our stay. The pool was quiet and at a comfortable temperature. The Gym was incommutably hot and limited on kit but did not receive much use apart from us, if there is a way to cool it down it would probably be used more.

The hotel had a policy of being served drinks at the table during dinner. This system works if you are having a leisurely meal but if you are like us and eat fast before popping to town, do not be surprised if you have finished your meal by the time a waiter comes to you. This is probably more our fault than theirs. Some waiting staff did not serve with a smile but we experienced this across the resort.

I would definitely stay here again but not full board. This is not because of the quality of lunch but the cases of food envy I suffered every time we stopped for lunch with others!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamie g

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us via TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Lion Hotel Borovetz. As you are probably aware we highly appreciate the feedback of our guests and constantly strive to improve our performance.

It is indeed a pleasure for me to note that you enjoy the Lion experience and that you are happy with the hotel ambiance and the services offered.

Once again, thank you for your visit and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I will be short.. Me and my boyfriend are 29 years old, we love comfort and clean, nice accommodation... We are good skiers..

Hotel is really, very good.. It is simple, but well equipped(nice, new furniture that is not "over designed") at the quiet location. Very clean(rooms, restaurant, lobby, pool....). Service polite, food fresh and with relatively wide range of food variety.. Of course, as you can see by the price range, it is not super luxury 4 stars..
Important things: concerning night life-hotel has one bar in local style that is good for take a couple of drinks, but do not expect crazy party and to meet people that are not hotel guests.. In the evening you have to walk 10-15 minutes up hill to reach center where are clubs.... But I don't mind, I like to walk :))

Room Tip: 2nd floor and up
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J M
Ivan K, General Manager at Hotel Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest

It is always a real pleasure to read such lovely comments about your experience at the Lion Hotel Borovetz. We always strive to provide high quality and consistent standards of service to all our guests, and your recognition is highly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I just came back from a holiday in Borovets. My fiance and I stayed at hotel Lion and are very satisfied with the experience. The hotel is very nice and the room we got was spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom was new (save for the hairdryer, but I have yet to find a hotel with a good one) and kept very clean. The hotel was packed, but everything ran smoothly.
I was pleasantly surprised with the food. The choice was not too big, but the dinner choices were different for every day of our stay and tasted really good.
The lobby bar was quite nice, and not too expensive.
The spa consists of a smallish pool (the water is cold only until you get accustomed to it) and two saunas. There is no bathrobe in the room, so one has to get a dressing room box and a towel for each visit, which is a minor niggle. Another one is that the floor gets very slippery, but at least there are signs everywhere.
The only drawback is the location - it is in a lovely wood, and within reasonable access by foot, but when it gets dark a walk is not too pleasant, especially as one stretch of the road is not lighted. For daily skiing this is no problem as the shuttle buses are frequent, but as they run until 6pm, night skiing or an evening out has to involve a taxi ride.
All things considered, the hotel offers great value for the money, as it is very reasonably priced for a 4* establishment and offers nice comfort for a holiday in the mountains.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aelena2000

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to receive your kind comments and I am so happy to learn that you have enjoyed the Lion Hotel experience.

I think that it is great that your stay with us was so satisfying and my team and I will be looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back during your next visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I would like to start this review by saying that I did not enjoy this holiday but Hotel Lion had nothing to do with that. In fact, this hotel was probably the good thing about this holiday. After this holiday I could hold my hands up and say that skiing is not for me; I fell over constantly, got hurt, got upset a few times and had my confidence knocked quite a bit but you can't be good at everything can you? In complete contrast to my experience, my friend who I travelled with loved skiing and is planning on going again in the future.

Like I said, Hotel Lion was not the reason why I didn't enjoy myself. It's a pleasant hotel which isn't in the main area of Borovets where all the other hotels and bars are but this is good as it has some beautiful surroundings and you have peace and quiet when you go to bed. A shuttle bus which takes you to the slopes runs until 6pm and taxis aren't too expensive either if you wanted to have a night out. It can get really hot in there at night which can give you a bit of a restless sleep so it may be worth taking thin nightwear despite how cold it may be outside.

One of its faults was how rude and abrupt the hotel staff could be. The prime example is when I wanted to book a massage on the last day of the holiday; I approached the woman at the reception desk at the spa (ground floor of hotel - has a sauna and swimming pool too!) and apologised for asking on such short notice and she offered an appointment at 9pm that night, I was fine with that but then she offered an appointment in the morning. I said that I was going home in the morning to which her reply was "If you knew you were going home in the morning, why didn't you come sooner?" I have no idea why she thought she could speak to a paying customer who had already agreed to take the late appointment like that but maybe this was Bulgarian customer service for you. I want to stress that not all staff were like this though - one barmaid was really sweet and polite, not only that but she also made some great cosmopolitans!

I have read a few reviews that say that Borovets is a good ski resort for beginners and intermediates and although I'm no ski expert, I would agree with this as there are plenty of lessons going on for people of all ages. In hindsight, I would have paid extra for a private instructor as when you learnt new techniques, you had to do it in front of the rest of your group and that immediately put me on edge (which could be why I made so many mistakes!). If you think that this could happen to you too, pay extra for a private instructor as it may be what determines whether you have a good ski experience or a bad ski experience. Borovets in general is a good resort with plenty of bars/clubs, restaurants and shops and when you go up into the mountains on the gondola, you get a good view of the natural beauty it has to offer which is great for photo opportunities. There are also restaurants on the green slope we used at the start of the week which serves some good food.

If I was to pluck up the courage to go back to Borovets and give skiing another go, I would come back to Hotel Lion. If you choose Borovets as your skiing destination, I would recommend Hotel Lion and hope you have a good stay there just like I did.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for your genuine feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience at the Lion Hotel and Borovetz ski resort.

I regret to hear that some issues over booking a massage have affected your stay. Perhaps you have noticed the staff in the SPA area doesn’t wear Lion Hotel uniforms and name badges. Because of the difficult licensing and specific of the SPA, medical and cosmetic business many establishments rent it out to specialized companies acting as a third party.

We are not in the position to train their staff as we do with all ours, i.e. the pointed barmaid, but I had a word with the owner of the SPA company and the receptionist on duty and stressed on what is expected from them as part of the whole Lion experience. The receptionist was not trying to insult you in any way, just to keep the conversation and the misunderstanding came from the differences in the culture and the sense of humor.

Don’t give up on the skiing in any way. It is hard to learn but very enjoyable afterwards. You just “touch the sky” and really have to give it another go. The frozen air and the white surroundings give everybody a boost and a recharge for many months ahead.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments because to us it means that you are concerned with the level of service we provide and I would like to take the opportunity to express our desire to be able to welcome you again as a guest of Lion Hotel Borovetz.