“First Trip to Bulgaria - Enjoyed!”
Review of Sol Nessebar Mare

Sol Nessebar Mare
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Nessebar
Bristol, United Kingdom
“First Trip to Bulgaria - Enjoyed!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Not sure what to erxpect after reading other reviews but we were pleasantly suprised by this one. It is a very big, clean hotel. People working constantly around the hotel and grounds keeping it clean. The rooms were big enough for the three of us, my husband, our 10 year old Son and myself. Beds were made up and new towels were provided daily. The food was delicious, lots of choice ranging from Pork, Beef, Fish and even Rabbit dishes to Salads galore, cheeses and cold meats, fresh bread, spaghetti's and the kids favourites pizza's chips and chicken goujons. You would be very fussy not to find something to eat that you liked. Full English breakfasts available every morning along with pancakes and cereals. As previously said in other reviews some of the food was a little lukewarm.

The facilities were brilliant for families with young children - although my son was not interested in Kids clubs being a little older he loved the waterslides and being on the beach. The sea is very warm and inviting but there is quite a bit of seaweed around the beach and in the sea, which does smell a bit. However, once you get used to the smell its fine. We spent most of our time in the sea swimming rather than by the pools but on the days we did stay in the hotel grounds we had no trouble in finding sunbeds. The evening entertainment was rubbish for adults. It is aimed mainly at children who like to do party dances - its great for kids but as my son is not into party dances we never stayed long.
All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and polite. They are a bit restrained in their facial expressions but as the week went by and they got to recognise us their smiles came out.

If you get the chance take a trip to the Old Nessebar Town. The Hotel has a fleet of taxi's outside the entrance who will take you there for 15Lev (around £6-£7). Make sure you haggle with the private Taxi's on the return trip though cos they want to charge 50 Lev but will drop to 15 Lev if you walk away and insist this is the max you will pay.
All in all I would recommend this Hotel to families with younger children. We felt safe and secure and very happy in this hotel.

Be prepared to stand your ground in queues (the very English thing) lots of pushing and shoving to get into lifts, buses etc - As they say "When in Rome do as the Romans do" - "When in Bulgaria do as every other nation does and push in and shove too".

Room Tip: Sea views are the best. However, if you can't get a sea view ask for a pool view as the rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chickster24
Janina_SNR, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Chickster24,

Thank you for telling us your impressions, after your recent stay at our hotel Sol Nessebar Mare.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we could exceed your expectation, especially with the cleanliness, our friendly staff and the delicious food. We will pass on your compliments to our kitchen- and service team.

Please recommend us also to your friends and family.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Kind regards,

Assistant Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just arrived back this morning from a weeks stay at Nessebar Mare.

As a couple we enjoyed our stay in this extremely family friendly hotel whilst also being able to relax.

Pools - Pools were clean and beds were still available at 8.30am. As expected many beds reserved and not used throughout the day. Peter the towel man helped us on the first day by upholding the policy of not reserving sunbeds and unfortunately he got the brunt end of verbal abuse from angry Russians who rocked up for their hours stay by the pool at 11am before heading off to who knows where still reserving unused sun beds.
Staff - extremely friendly and helpful, a shame they are so shocked by people using manners!! They knew our drinks before we got to the bar (just watch out for super strong measures of alcohol). Most of the staff spoke English and were always happy to help!
Animation team - Were sparse a few dances round the pool but majority of their time was spent next door (at the 5star palace) so all depends what you are after. Unfortunately evening entertainment was pretty poor with many people choosing alternative methods of entertainment but the Michael Jackson show was just about watchable. Everything shuts down at 11pm so again it all depends what you are after from a holiday as to whether this is suitable.
Beach - Did not appeal to us as lots of seaweed and a small beach, so chose to spend our time by the pool. The water taxi is a must which takes you into the old town of Nessebar and a great day out.
Cleanliness - rooms very clean and spacious. Public areas such as toilets by the pools and the communal showers on the last day could do with more attention.
Food - the only let down of the holiday, very repetitive and as other reviews say luke warm at best! Make sure you check your food is cooked. Staff very efficient in the restaurant and again very friendly. Snacks were basically leftovers so a short walk to the hotel snack bar next door provided better snack options (just hide your wristband!)
Check out - no option was available for a late check out so after checking out at noon then had to wait until 1.40am before the coach arrived and when the bars all shut at 11pm it was a long wait with only water available.

We would return to Bulgaria (beautiful weather) but possibly self catering as lots of restaurants around promising a VARIETY of good food at low prices.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EmC628
Dear EmC628,

Thank you very much for choosing Sol Nessebar Mare for your holiday and for the nice words you shared about your experience in our hotel.

We are delighted that you liked the staff, the rooms and the cleanliness.

On the other hand we feel sorry, that the food and the animation did not match your taste. We will make sure to do our best for the next time you come and visit us.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, which helps us to improve our product to the fully satisfaction of all our guests.

Quality Manager
Sol Nessebar Resort
Norway
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When i read bad reviews i useally say to myself that "you can't please everyone". Well, now it's my turn.. This Hotel has a good deal to learn about costumer service. But we experienced this wherever we went in the area. Grumpy, angry people everywhere! Shops, stores, taxi's.. The reception desk and the animation team ( the staff that has entertainment and games) are the only friendly people we encourntered the whole stay! Waiters in the Hotel buffet-restaurant really seemed to hate working there! Bulgaria as a destination is not an option we recomend, as everyone we met outside the Hotel left us with the feeling that they really didn't want us there. Sol nessebar mare gets 4/10.... The country as a destination: 2/10 Sorry, Bulgaria.. But you suck!

Room Tip: If you made the mistake to go to Bulgaria, get a room pointing away from the live stage in the park...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fotterapeut A
Janina_SNR, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Fotterapeut A,

I am sorry to realize we have not managed to meet your expectations. I do not know the datails and the curcumstancies, but can imagine, that if I knew about the way you feel, I would manage to find the way to your satisfaction...I also can imagine, that it will happen that you experience our country from another perspective at some time of your life...

Quality Manager,
Sol Nessebar Resort
Ukraine
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'd like to share my impression of this hotel, we stayed there in June 2014.
I have a son of 2,4 years old and he was totally into the location, food and facilities. This is the best hotel I've ever seen designed with babies and kids in mind.
You can find food even for the smallest, and the food quality is very good. I don't approve of fast food (pizza, hamburgers and cola) and from the very first days of his life I teach my son to eat healthy delicious food. I liked it in this hotel that they offer a large variety of meals for kids of all ages.
Pools are great. Every pool has it's own section for the smallest, where you can safely let your little one to have fun. In one of the pools they have water slides and even the smallest can enjoy them. Mine was hard to get out of there.
Shadow. They have trees all over the territory, and during hot summer days this is the huge advantage if you compare this hotel with the others. I value it a lot.
Beach. Is great, clean and with shallow water, again perfect for kids. If you step to the right around 300 meters you can find another beach (public) which is even better, with amazing white sand.
Entertainment. They have animators who deal with kids: dancing, games, competitions, quests, evening disco for kids, art master classes. There is a small electric cars track within the territory, and in the evening pools are used to have fin with paid attractions: puffed balloons and water vehicles for kids.
Territory is great, clean and well organized.
Oh, and they have plenty of playgrounds for kids on the territory, really great in evenings when you are not ready to sleep yet, and kids want to play.
They also have quite fine children's club, but I'd say that it needs more frequent cleaning and toys substitution. Still, if the weather is great, there is no need in it anyways.

I did not like SPA: they have NO knowledge in how to make a gel nail correction procedure. But well, you usually don't want that from the hotel SPA, so whatever.

We are going there again in several days ;)

Room Tip: No need to ask for additional bed for your kid: the small chair positioned in each room can be easil...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Olga_Tsisarenko
Janina_SNR, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Olga_Tsisarenko,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a feedback after your stay in our hotel Sol Nessebar Mare.
We are delighted to hear that you loved our location, the good food and facilities. Thank you again for your really nice words. Looking forward to welcoming you soon back again.

Best regards from the “Dream hotel for families with kids” :)

sussex
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I am here write now. Came with Thomas Cook. Went looking for the rep today but he wasn't present at the time he posted on the info board that he would be in the adjacent hotel. The hotel is spotlessly clean and run efficiently. It would be great for families but if you want peace and quiet you won't get it. There is music blaring out by the pools all day and often music two ends of the pool at the same time. The animation team remind me of a 1970s holiday camp. The appear at the pool with an irritating dance a number of times each day. The evening entertainment is not my cup of tea at all. I would much prefer a band and some dancing.
The food is good with lots of variety but the big let down is that it is luke warm. I am very concerned that this could cause an outbreak of stomach upsets on a large scale. Thomas Cook advice their holiday makers to only eat food if it is piping hot. It most definitely isn't.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richfruitcake
Janina_SNR, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Richfruitcake,

I am Janina Ninova, the Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Resort and would like to thank you for choosing our hotel Sol Nessebar Mare for your holiday.

I really appreciate your time spent on sharing your impression of our hotel as we value each and everyone. I hope you would give us the chance to meet you at the lobby at a time, chosen by you before you leave.

Yours sincerely,

Quality Manager Sol Nessebar Resort
Southwest Romania, Romania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and my daughter spent 10 days at the Sol Nessebar Mare between July 11 and July 21.
I'll detail my thoughts :

Reception - All the staff we dealt with spoke fluent English and we had no language issues what so ever. Staff was friendly at all times.

Room - We booked a Garden view room, but to our surprise we were upgraded to Sea view at the reception. A bit thank you to the reception staff. This point alone made my daughter so happy ( she's almost 4 years old and enjoyed the view from the balcony ) .
Room was pretty spacious and we had space for all of our luggages ( and we had a lot ! )
Cleaning was done daily while we were out of the room. Bathroom was also cleaned daily.
Television had multiple channels including channels in English, Bulgarian, Romanian and a few others.
AC was working very well and cooled the room.
Wifi - Active and good speed at all times. Need a password from reception to activate.

Swimming pools and bars area - Swimming pools were clean and not too crowded ( except the kids swimming pool next to the water slides which got crowded sometimes ). Bars' staff speaks English and the bars are clean and pleasant to stay at.
During one of the days it was heavily raining so we went to the bigger indoor swimming pool at the Palace. The water there seamed to be pretty cold so we didn't stay for long.

Beach - The beach can be reached from the Sol Nessebar Mare area. There are steps you need to take to reach the beach. Note that the beach is a public beach and some times it wasn't that clean. Algae was present at all times and wasn't picked up at all. Some of it got rotten and the smell wasn't very pleasant. The hotel should really take this with the city hall or whoever is responsible with the beach.
A paid bar can be found on the beach.

Park - The resort has a very nice big park with facilities for kids. The view from the park towards the sea can be superb. I'm not sure who the area with the trees and weeds between the park and beach belongs too, but if that area can be cleaned the resort can build an amazing promenade with stunning views !

Restaurant - The food was pretty diversified and you can find Chicken, pork, beef and fish on a daily basis. Some days there was Rabbit and Calamri as well. The Pizza is good and is served at noon and dinner. Plenty of choices during all meals. You need to be extremely picky not to find something to eat. The desserts were very good !
Two things i didn't understand :
1.Why cut the Bananas into two and let them oxidize ?
2.Too much onion in the chicken soup ( at all times )

Surroundings - It's clear that the surroundings of the resort are still under development. Some of the sidewalks are broken or missing.
You can find a small mini-market right outside the resort. There are also two pharmacies nearby, one at about 100m to the left of Sol Nessebar Mare, and the other one to the right of Sol Nessebar Bay at about 350m.
The old town of Nessebar is only 1,5km away and was very nice to visit !

Action/Entertainment team - A big applause for the team. I don't know when these people have time to sleep. I could see them outside at 07am and still awake at almost midnight. They did everything they could to make EVERYONE enjoy the stay. The shows are great and we really enjoyed the Michael Jackson tribute night. The Comedy night was also a big success.
If you are with kids, don't worry, there are plenty of activities for them as well with the highlight on the kids disco at 20:30. If the team could add some more songs and activities in English ( for the kids ) it would be perfect.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and plan on coming back again next year. Thanks for an enjoyable vacation !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank element94
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel was very clean and staff were all very helpful. Being a fussy eater I wasn't too impressed with the food as I felt it could have been hotter or cooked for a few minutes longer, that said we did not go hungry as there was plenty of choice. The animation team work exceptionally hard and seem to really enjoy what they do. If there was one thing to call out was that on the last couple of days of our holiday we couldn't get a sun bed beside our pool but we could use the facilities at the Palace Hotel however if you wanted a drink you needed to walk back to the pool bar at Mare hotel, minor issue and can see in full season why this would be the case. Overall we had a great holiday and would certainly go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 315 which over looked the Palace pool which got the sun in the afternoon and evening...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank fionaegray
Janina_SNR, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Fionaegray,

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much.
We appreciate you sharing your positive experience in our hotel Sol Nessebar Mare which will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Assistant Quality Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nessebar
Italia
#25 of 110 in Golden Sands
Sol Nessebar Bay
Sol Nessebar Bay
#3 of 35 in Nessebar

Been to Sol Nessebar Mare? Share your experiences!