“Do not visit this hotel”
Review of Festa Panorama

Festa Panorama
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Nessebar
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Do not visit this hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just returned from a holiday in Bulgaria, the location was great but the hotel was a dirty, mould in shower, split shower tray, leaking toilet, water coming through the ceiling, torn and stained bed linen, carpet filthy kept flip flops on all week, found cocktail stick, deodorant lid and toe nail clippings on floor which were still there by the end of the week!! The staff were miserable! infact rude at times. Dining area was dirty, we had to ask to have table cloths changed. Drinks in plastic cups which is not expected in a "four star hotel." Plastic shower doors fell off! Booked two rooms, had requested them together but when we arrived they were far away from each other. This was very disappointing for our friend in the other room. Water was coming through the ceiling of the corridor which was affecting the electrics. Dangerous!! To top off this terrible holiday, we were leaving at 4am and there were no lights on in the hotel or outside, accompanied by no acknowledgment from the receptionist. We were pleased to be going home!!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rachael E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just returned from Nessebar Bulgaria on a family holiday....grandparents, parents and two young children. Paid for four star all inclusive - quite a lot of money! Always prepared to be more than fair when staying in holiday hotels, but this one is definitely NOT four star.
Arrived at four in the morning, but no water available in the (empty) mini-bar or reception. Had to beg for water from the kitchen for the children. Away from the reception area the decor is tired and dated. Large corridors with just frayed carpet, no pictures or plants or seats. Alarmingly, the night lighting only comes on as you approach, and only illuminates a small area, shutting down as you walk forward. It all has the feeling of a prison camp. Rooms are spacious by today's standards but have not been painted or refreshed in years.
Asked for extra pillows as the ones provided were wafer thin. These were left on the bed with no pillowcases, and when we asked the maid for some, she was very embarrassed, and explained that they have no spares. Had to use our T-shirts instead. Always keen to save water abroad on holiday, we never ask for clean towels unnecessarily....however, when we did, we found that the maid dries your wet towels on the balcony and then folds them and puts them back. We complained that this was unhygienic (got a shrug).

First shower I had, the curtain rail fell down on my head as the plastic supports were perished.
The maid 're-positioned' it the following day, and of course, it happened again. Trying to get reception to provide a new one, was like trying to ask for the moon. Grouting around bath black and has certainly not been replaced this season.

Swimming pools looked lovely at first, but on approaching, found murky grey/blue water. You certainly could not see the bottom of the pool. All the Brits (about 10% of guest total) complained about this, as we all had children in our parties. Reception staff gave many excuses for the non cleaning of the pools, and it was only after an email to Thomson-London, that anything was done. The 'Lifeguard' is really the beach towel man, and is mainly to be found chatting to the Spa/Beauty Salon ladies in the basement. Forget him if you are drowning as he is always listening to music on his iPod. Tiles around the pool are crumbling badly, and slivers of tile were always getting into our feet. Very bad when you have youngsters - our four year old ripped his big toe nail right off, and was in considerable discomfort for many days. I left a piece of tile in my foot without knowing, and arrived back in the UK with a badly infected foot. This really affected the holiday.

I have to say the food was ample, varied and plentiful, if a little bland. The Head Chef and the Restaurant Manager did the very best they could with their budget. There is no 'show cooking', only the pancake lady at breakfast. Wine is served from a silver foil collapsing bag (just the budget kind you find in supermarkets), but there is no attempt to make it a delightful part of your meal. Coffee machines (three in the dining room), are suited to an office of 25 people, as the water heater has to keep warming up, and the queues for tea and coffee were very frustrating.

I can say that all of the above would probably be acceptable in a three star hotel. Complaints to reception were always dealt with reluctantly, and any guest made to feel that they should be grateful for what they have. Forget Wi-Fi, it clicks off if you move around reception and need to log in again with password on your return.. Thomson Rep far away in Sunny Beach resort, and not able to deal with our group. Animation Team worked really hard around the pool, and ran a cute kiddies club which our children loved.
Overall, experience in this hotel very poor.

3 Thank Susan P

Travellers are raving about these Nessebar hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lots good about Festa Panorama but lots of areas for improvement as well.

LOCATION of hotel is EXCELLENT and probably best in Sunny Beach area (not if you are a party animal tho, you need the other end of the stretch for that) Festa is one of the last hotels you come to at the Nesebar side and it was just lovely.. 15 minute walk along a coastal stretch to the old town, past a little fun fair, a circus (which we didn't go to as it has animals caged up) and little street sellers and stalls. Beach just a 2 minute walk away, lovely touristy shopping street just across the road, everything you need really. Party animals will definitely prefer to be in the main part of Sunny Beach, its easy enough to get taxis etc but a bit of a pain if all you want to do is spend your hols soaking up the sun and drinking in clubs and bars.

POOL area in my opinion is totally lovely.. three large pools, lots of sun loungers, facing the sea so great views and the air as much fresher out this side of the hotel and pleasant for all of our two week holiday to just sit and relax in.. it was mega hot and close a lot of the time (a few thunder storms and occasional rain cleared it a bit) so I enjoyed getting the sea breeze.

I HATE that people put towels down and then disappear for the whole day, this happens at all these types of holidays and Festa have signs up asking people not to do it but they do anyway. We just got up early and put ours down then went back to bed for an hour and its not really the hotels fault its the idiots who do it but yes, it can be difficult to get a nice spot if you just show up mid morning.. that said.. there are loads and its always possible to get a couple no matter what time you go down, just maybe not with the mattress thing and in my case, in good shade out of the sun, immediately next to the pool ;o)

POOL - WARNING - area is lovely overall but if it does rain, the tiles can get slippy so be careful, there are some raised flagstones in certain parts which I think is a trip hazard and at the back of the actual pool there is a ledge for getting into the pool/sitting on and there are quite a few of the mosaic tiles missing which I think leave sharp enough edges that people should be aware and be careful.. also along this ledge, under the water, there is a stretch where the rounded plastic edging thing has snapped and the edges of that are very sharp and an accident waiting to happen really. Just be aware and be careful.

FOOD - This is equally good - equally bad for sure.. when we first arrived we were very impressed at the variety and quality but by the end of two weeks we were sick of seeing it but I guess that's cos we ate loads and sampled practically everything on offer, every meal lol.

Breakfast was good.. all the usual cereals, cooked stuff like eggs, ham, sausages, beans, mushrooms.. good selection of cold stuff like cheese, meats etc. I loved that they had a person cooking pancakes.. you had to queue but it was quick enough and I didn't mind this at all.

Lunch and Dinner were similar.. loved the Melon, lots of flavour and I always had this as a starter. Fruit available at all meals, two different types of soups, good variety of fresh bread.. usually 3 different types of meat mains and then lots of other things to have with them.. not always clearly labelled (fish being fisch and some random thing called mishmash which had veg, spuds and maybe mince in it?) They served chicken nearly always and usually Pork or Veal with Rabbit appearing a couple of times.. usually some fish as well. They always changed how things were served like pork roll, pork stew, pork bits, pork schnitzel lol same with the chicken but that was grand.. just a bit tedious after two weeks eating it. Lots of pasta, rice, chips, roasted veg, fresh salad etc so just change what you have to mix it up a bit. Desserts were good (again I ate to many so they got samey by end of two weeks) Ice cream LOVELY and creamy.. fab at hotel AMAZING when bought from the stalls out and about (they charge by weight of ice cream) lots of different cake type things to try which are very edible.

QUEUES - The main queue for the food did sometimes get a bit long but it moves very quickly so I don't think this is a problem at all.. we just had melon or soup as a starter and waited for it to go down or just joined it. Tables did fill up fast but a lot of the tables seated like 8 or 10 people and you would maybe have 2 or 4 people at one end so it was easy enough to just sit at a table with others. THAT SAID we ate on the outside tables every evening and managed to not only get a table outside every night but for about 10 of our 14 nights we got the SAME table every night so if you are happy to take a seat and have a drink and not let it stress you.. you can always get somewhere nice to sit. I loved sitting outside and eating every day/evening and recommend waiting for an outside table. I found that the tables were cleared quickly and efficiently by the staff who were always pleasant.

ROOM was ok.. we didn't get a pool view and ours was looking out on the main busy street outside but this doesn't bother me.. who goes on hols to spend all their time looking at the view from their room! It was basic but clean and I was happy enough. I reckon they could all do with a lick of paint to freshen them up and they have a somewhat cheapish feel to them in the quality of the lamps and furnishings but for all the time we spent in their who cares.. clean and comfortable beds with good curtains and heavy linings to block out the sun. Air con worked brilliantly and that's what I need to have a good holiday in a place like this. Bathroom was grand, could get a bit wet on the floor but we had 5 towels between two of us so one naturally was used as a bath mat. Some of that black mould stuff on the grout that is really hard to get rid off so I don't blame them for that and it didn't bother me.

ENTERTAINMENT was ok.. Animation team were nice enough and tried hard.. did the usual, volleyball, water aerobics, mini disco, adult games in the evening and when they got good participants it seemed good fun, when they didn't they just did their dance routines to the saaaame sooooongs night after night.. this seems to be worldwide on this kind of holiday so I wont beat them for it and I enjoyed watching them:o) I liked that they didn't bug you if you didn't want to join in and I enjoyed watching people make fools out of themselves doing the games (in the nicest possible way of course) Music was a bit loud at times when you walked past the speaker or sat in the vicinity, I guess it was quiet then they would start the mini disco and it was just be blaring.. we didn't mind and just sat further away but we got speaking to an elderly couple and it was bugging them so much they ate out most evenings as they didn't like the noise nor the queuing.

STAFF - Mixed opinions on staff.. Ability to speak English was a bit hit or miss and helpfulness the same. We arrived at 2am, got our key no problem but missed our Thomson rep as we weren't given our welcome pack.. reception staff fobbed us off and said they didn't know when he was in. Got a nice woman the day after and she said we should have been given the pack and that's why we missed it as it was held elsewhere in the hotel.. nevermind we just got a message to him eventually via the 24/7 helpline and he came to see us. I think when their English isn't great they just fob you off so you come back later and ask somebody else.. they should work on this part of their service. I liked all the bar staff who were friendly and happy to give me lots of drinks.. one guy in the lobby bar annoyed me as I refused to wear my all inclusive band as it was annoying my wrist - all the other staff just recognised me and knew I had it in my bag and served me without needing to see it but he kept being a goon and making me go get it.. my fault for not sticking to the rules but it didn't bother anybody else, he was just being a tit.
All the serving staff who collected our food plates and glasses etc where lovely I thought, crappy job but they always did it with a smile (apart from one lass the last day but she got told off for something from another member of staff and was just grabbing plates and slamming things about in general - it was funny and nowt to do with us)

HOTEL LOBBY & LIFTS - Lots of comfy seats, it did get crowded at times with people waiting to check out but just be smart and nip in and get a seat when its not if you know you want to sit inside.. wasn't a problem at all. Somebody on here complained about the smell of the toilets which I think its over reacting.. I used them a lot and they were always clean.. once the boys one stank as I walked past it but I think this is usually the case with mens toilets and it was only once in two weeks. I LOVED that they had 3 lifts, meant you didn't have to wait that long and they were never a tedious part of the holiday.

SPA & OTHER Bits of the hotel- downstairs to the main reception is a SPA area, Night Bar and Games room and apparently an indoor swimming pool. I didn't even go down here until the day before we came home and that was only because we had one day of heavy rain. I didn't even know there was an indoor pool but I don't see the point in coming to a hot country like Bulgaria and spending it indoors. I did use the SPA services that day and had a massage, Spa Pedicure and a haircut. The lass on reception spoke English but the others doing the treatments didn't. No problem for the massage.. my first one ever and they made me take my top and bra off which I wasn't expecting but it wasn't a problem and I enjoyed it immensely. Spa Pedicure and haircut was more random as it was late in the day and they called a lass on the phone to come do it, didn't speak a word of English so it was a bit uncomfortable being in a little room with just her as everybody else had pretty much left.. pedicure was good I think as I had never had one before and she spent ages doing it.. would avoid the haircut its just not up to the standard of our British ones.. I don't mind what she did as it was just a trim but I will be visiting my regular one sooner rather than later. Still.. on a rainy day it was nice to just go and get pampered and try so many new things.

WIFI was a bit pants, my partner battled with it daily.. they have these wee codes at reception and you had to sign in everytime you left the area. I got on only three times during my holiday, I could have went and sat in the lounge for a better reception but WHY OH WHY WOULD YOU SPEND HALF YOUR HOLIDAY BATTLING WITH WIFI SENDING UPDATES ON FACEBOOK! I am guilty of this when the WIFI is excellent but I just wasn't prepared to mess on with it, I read 8 books and painted 14 little pictures instead lol. Facebook can wait.

EXCURSIONS - We did three via our Thomson's rep.. 4 x 4 Jeep Safari was EXCELLENT good fun.. the men who were driving the jeep have the best jobs in Bulgaria and they are like big kids.. Highly recommend this trip, expect to get wet and have a laugh.. wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and with the water then drying out and the road dust I definitely needed a shower when we got back to the hotel. Loved it though, really good fun.

Southern Explorer - We did a boat ride down some river in a nature park then visited Sozopol.. this trip was ok but not really worth the money, they could have added a few more places in. Liked Sozopol but by time we had lunch didn't really get time to explore it. Id say give this one a miss.

Picturesque Bulgaria - This was better value for money as we were away the whole day and seen more of the country, lots of time on the bus but I didn't mind as lots to look at out the window. Got this crazy chair lift up a mountain.. it was optional and it was a teensy bit scary as it was just two seats and not closed in but it was exciting too and defo worth the extra 10 lev! Nice to see some of the more traditional villages in the Balkan Mountains and a random visit to a textile museum for a guided tour (take a fan as its hot in there!)

NOT GOOD FOR WHEELCHAIR USERS. We had one on our trip and they tried to navigate the cobblestones but gave up in the end and sat by the bus. Felt bad for them, when we quizzed the tour guide he said Bulgaria was bad for people with disabilities and they normally ended up spending all their time in the house as the country is just not geared up with ramps etc. I wouldn't choose to visit this country if I was talking my mum who was in a wheelchair till she passed away, she would have hated not being able to participate or watching us struggle to get up the uneven paths.

OLD TOWN OF NESEBAR - This was just down the road from us so not an excursion as such but DO NOT come all the way to the Sunny Beach area and not visit this place.. its stunning, lots of beautiful old churches and partial ruins, hundreds of little tourist shops (best variety of shopping we came across in Bulgaria) Lovely walk around the Island as its so small.. really quaint little place and a must visit if you are in the area. We were lucky and there was a big festival on during our visit, light show, live music and thousands of people.. interesting to see as there were lots of locals and hand made decorations etc but man was it swelteringly hot.. take a little fan with you or buy one when there is my advice. Lovely little train that runs along ferrying ppl between Sunny Beach and Nesebar - tried the bus too but I didn't like this, too crowded and too hot, we ended up getting dropped right back in the old town so ended up getting the train back to our hotel anyways lol.

SUNNY BEACH - I HATED the main stretch of Sunny Beach.. too hot, too full of nutter people just out for a party time.. beach had literally THOUSANDS of sun loungers on it! Shops were crappy in comparison to Nessebar. I am so glad our hotel was at the other end or I would have been mightily disappointed as the whole Sunny Beach party time wouldn't be my thing at all and to be honest I hate beaches I cant stand the feel of sand on my feet lol. I much prefer being by the pool.. I walked past some hotels in Sunny Beach where the pool was right by the main road with just some trees in between, I wouldn't have liked this so I guess its luck of the draw.

OTHER things - Hmm what else to say.. places felt safe enough, we were careful and I had a small bag that hugs close to my body. Kept all valuables locked in my suitcase (didn't want to pay money for the safe as I didn't have that much with me and no expensive cameras or anything) Didn't have any concerns at the hotel in this respect and always felt happy enough leaving my kindle and bag hidden beside my sun lounger under a towel.

Got money out no problem, our rep recommended the Crown Exchange (loads all over the place) they take commission so I got out 100 lev (about £43) and they charged 104 lev, id have preferred not to need it but I kept spending so its my own fault!

Tobacco and cigarettes are well cheap.. DO NOT GET THEM AT THE AIRPORT! The airport is a complete rip off.. we spend 3.5 lev on a small bottle of water.. beside our hotel it cost 0.65 lev so that's just a complete con.

Ok.. sorry this has been so long, hope you find it helpful!. It was a lovely holiday overall and just what I needed! If you book something similar I hope you have a great time like I did:o)

Room Tip: Don't stress about your room, who cares where it is! Just enjoy sitting by the pool and don'...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lisarti
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel is amazing if we think of the place it is located and the amazing view we have had from the balcony !
The food is great, plus, the menu is also changed during the lunch or dinner times, which is a plus.
The rooms are big, as well as the bathroom.

Would warmly recommend this to anyone !

Still, some small minus points: the internet connection is poor most of the times.

The man from the pool is unfriendly and speaks no English.

Neither does the girl from the entrance of the room where we used to eat in. She was supposed to write down the room numbers, but it is clearly she understood a little from the numbers we were saying (so we had to show the key of the room). This would not be a problem, but I would give a feedback for her: to smile more, to be more kind and to be less shy -> after all, you work with people, you have to make them feel great and relaxed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MihaelaParvulescu
Birmingham
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is meant to be a four star hotel, but it's more like a two star! The bar staff close at 10:30 even if you have been in line before 10:30 and have been waiting a long time to get served! The food is ok, different meat each night but rice and chips were always on. The rooms are ok, very big, but bath rooms very small and when wet after a shower or a bath they can get very slippery. Maid service everyday but they only changed our towels twice in the week which was disgusting. The free wifi works at reception really well but in other parts of hotel it doesn't work as well. The entertainment have a lot of time off, they entertain them selves on the night and they aren't a very good entertainment team! The glasses and drinks from the nights before get cleaned up the next morning. I don't see how this is advertised in the thomson holidays because it's not the best. Reception don't really speak good English and sometimes don't understand you. The thomson rep David was awful, he was never there and when we rang him when we had a problem he never answered his phone and we rang him at different times of the day. My experience at this hotel was terrible!

Stayed August 2014
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent holiday. Staff AllFriendly makes you wonder what previous reviewers attitudes were! we arrived very early in the morning ,night porter & receptionist lovely.Rooms clean & Well maintained towels changed when ever needed,Food available was suitable for all tastes --breakfasts caters for everyone,pancakes,freshly cooked in front of you ,full English , cereal,fruit, continental with ham & cheese and lots of choice in bread / toast . All day pool bar open,excellent staff very efficient & kept tables clean. White wine not chilled - but add your own ice ! all staff from cleaners , cooks , waiters & reception were impeccable , friendly & helpful .all areas at all times were clean .beds comfortable . Definitely go for sea / pool view .would definitely recommend for family holiday - when got too hot out pre teen & teen went in to warm in door swim pool. great walk through town to Nessebar &. Walked back along sea front- visit to south beach of Sunny beach made us glad we hadn't stayed there.Local shop staff , very friendly.Everyone in hotel went the extra mile for us if requested - so my advice is to smile ,be polite & you will reap the rewards -I would recommend to friends wholeheartedly?WAlk to Nessebar early before it gets crowded & you will find it a wonderful morning Out .paid extra to keep room prior to our night flight - definitely worth it

Room Tip: Pool view - level 5
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is not bad, but on my departure I had an unpleasant incident. I was late with15-20 minutes after 12 o’clock and the receptionist on shift behaved extremely rude to us. Frankly this left the bad feeling as they drive us out. Ok generally I would say that the staff is friendly, but especially this person is a mistake there and she spoiled the good impression.

2 Thank Anelia R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nessebar
Sol Marina Palace
#1 of 35 in Nessebar
Sol Nessebar Mare
Sol Nessebar Mare
#4 of 35 in Nessebar

Been to Festa Panorama? Share your experiences!