“Tranquil resort on lovely lake”

Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Taunggyi
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Myanmar Treasure Resort at Inle Lake is a uniquely beautiful place arrived at by longboats. The resort has a spa with trained masseuses. The bungalows built on stilts in the water overlook a soothing lotus pond and organic vegetable garden from which the herbs for the meals are picked. Staff is genuinely attentive and kind. This is a perfect location for a romantic longweekend, meditative retreat, relaxing get away, or a jumping spot to tour multiple sites, such as the day market, the floating markets, Burmese Cat Heritage House, Jumping Cat Monastery, and the Mrauk U antiquities similar to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, but far less populated by tourists. We intend to visit again.

Room Tip: choose a bungalow on the side facing the golden stupa in the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marie M

Reviewed 5 July 2012

beautiful place within the lake. rooms are reasonably clean.

Room Tip: get the first row of rooms facing the lake
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This outfit doesn't feature in the Lonely Planet because it is owned by the generals' friends. In some ways this is good since it is less busy and you are more likely to get a room. Finding space at Inle can be very difficult and will get worse as the country gets more visited. It's on the lake and so be aware that you need a boat to get here and away (12.000K one way) but even so it's one of the closest places to the mainland.

Very nice rustic cottages on stilt, fantastic for sunset photos and good food.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake will get more noise from motor boats from dawn. But all rooms well equipped.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David866
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I visited Inle Lake during late May, which happens to be the low season. The hotel sits at the mouth of the lake and upon first glance, I found myself hoping that it was the Myanmar Treasure. While it sits on the lake, the boats shut their engines down and paddle the last 2-3 minutes of the journey, so it helps to minimize the noise. I was greeted with a welcome drink each time I returned to the hotel (normally fruit juice, but a receptionist was waiting with a hot towel and hot tea one rainy afternoon). The cottages are lovely--my kind of "camping"--and serene. The hotel maintains its own organic vegetable and lotus garden. And, this is a first--the turn down service included a personalized proverb typed on handmade paper and a mini-bouquet of fresh flowers. The staff members were warm and hospitable and went out of their way to ensure that I had a perfect stay. The hotel is self-contained, but I had everything I needed, and found the restaurant prices to be quite reasonable (approx $10 for a full entree); the included breakfast was also good. BRING Ks TO PAY FOR TRANSPORTATION--see more below.

**Here's the DOWNSIDE. While I'd negotiated an off-season room rate, the $182 DOLLARS I paid in transportation fees just about ruined my day. The hotel arranged transport via my travel coordinator, and I was told that it would cost $45 each way (just about what I pay in New York City) for the boat/taxi service. When I arrived, I noticed a couple negotiating with a taxi driver to take them to Inle (about 1 hour trip), so I offered them to travel with me. The woman who met me at the terminal insisted that I had only arranged for 1 person, so I left them behind (I should have persisted, since I was the one paying for the van service). Once I arrived to the hotel, I was asked whether I wanted the 5 visit tour (23,000 ks ) or the 5 visit +Indien tour (35,000 ks). We'd agreed that I would take the standard tour. The boat arrived promptly to pick me up and I had an amazing day tour. When it was time for me to checkout, I had a 129,000 ks transportation bill, and while I was able to pay for the room and restaurant charges in dollars, the transport was in ks (although I'd been quoted the airport fare in dollars). Instead of the standard 800 ks rate, I was only given 700, for which I paid a teacher's monthly salary ($20) in conversion fees. I have traveled extensively, and have *never paid that much for basic (yet personal) transport--it cost more than my Bagan to Inle to Yangon air fare ticket.

I would have loved to have given the property a 5, but the transport situation (although it was a separate company, I'm sure there was significant margin involved--none of which made its way to the staff or drivers) left things on a sour note. I'm trying not to think about it, because I don't want it to taint an otherwise perfect holiday.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank intlprof
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Huge rooms overlooking the lake with balconies. Open air showers. Very good restaurant (no other place to go) but the breakfast differed depending on how many people were staying in the resort (when a tour group arrived it changed into a buffet). Lovely staff. There is a very nice walk behind the hotel to a village along a boardwalk over the rice fields. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Direct lake view rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LanaSingapore
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I'm only going to echo what recent reviewers have said - loved this place. It is very well laid out, and makes you feel very relaxed right from the start. The cottages are very attractive and well built despite the stilts - we had a surprise storm with very high winds in the middle of the night, and the staff hurried around to help those who needed it to secure doors and windows which all blew open at once! The outdoor shower was a wonderful touch. Arriving to the hotel by boat was also fun.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mnbnyc
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at Treasure Inle Lake in the middle of February for one night. It really is an impressive hotel on the lake. We arrived by boat, and once inside the hotel lagoon the engine is cut, and the boat taken in by an Inle Lake leg rower.
The rooms are bungalows on stilts connected by walk-ways. We were in a bungalow with a large bathroom, sitting room, bedroom, and large deck overlooking the lake, perfect for watching the sunset over the lake. Although the wi-fi is only in the lobby, the bungalow we had is so close there was just enough signal for email, which was all we needed.
We had the buffet dinner, which was OK. There were a range of items, with the cooks there to describe the local dishes.This was followed by a show of dances from the Shan State - touristy, but the young dancers were so enthusiastic folks got into the spirit.
We did not find the prices of the meal and drinks out of line for a hotel built on stilts in a lake.
The breakfast buffet had a Shan counter, again with the cooks there to describe and help with selections, and what to put into the soup to spice it up.
The staff were eager to help, professional, and looked to be enjoying their work.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Two2bThere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunggyi
Inle Resort & Spa
#2 of 40 in Nyaungshwe
Pristine Lotus Resort
Pristine Lotus Resort
#8 of 40 in Nyaungshwe

Been to Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake? Share your experiences!