“Fantastic Resort on Inle Lake!!!”

Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Taunggyi
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My husband and I stayed in Myanmar Treasure Resort for two days while we're traveling in Myanmar. At first sight of the hotel, I exclaimed "Wow, wonderful!". It was more than the best hotel in the world as well as in Myanmar. All seemed perfect to me - room, bed, bathroom, balcony, and other facilities. We enjoyed photo-like view of the lake and mountain sitting in the balcony. All the staff were very kind and attended us with their warm heart. I was especially moved when I found the welcome card with small bouquet on the bed. When we arrived there, we were a little tired because we already traveled for two weeks in Myanmar . So we took a real rest and sleeped well at the resort. I hope I will go to Inle Lake and stay at Myanmar Treasure Resort again some day.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grace103501

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We appreciated the warm welcome of the staff and the exquisite lodging, a sort of bungalow on poles in the Inle Lake, nicely decorated with handicraft items. No gold and marble here, but wood, which adds hugely to the authenticity of the place ! Truly amazing were the 'sweet dreams wishes' on our bed pillow in the evening... This hotel can also by classified as very ecological with an open eye for our sparse resources. The meals in the romantic dining room are simple but of honest cooking quality, served by friendly waiters and waitresses. Oh, I wish I was back over there...

Christel Geens, Belgium

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Christel G
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The hotel is beatiful and well decorated, adding to the originality of the situation and it´s structure. From the airport you take a taxi to Nayung-shwe (city centre as they call it) and then a typical boat to the hotel.
It is one of the closest to the entrance of the lake, sitting on the water but with a bridge to the land so you can move by bike or leave by taxi if you prefer to avoid the boat at some point, but almost all the trips will require (and it´s much better) to move by boat around the lake.

The restaurant is good, reasonably priced and with good variety of food that it´s appreciated as you can not go anywhere else for dinner. Nice bar overlooking the lake and it has its own spa

Each room is a cottage, communicated to reception over water by wood bridges, very big, with your own terrace and a sofa overlooking the lake if you get a room in the front row (Avoid the cottages in the middle row of the 3 they have)
It does not have A/C so it might be an issue on the dry season (other similar hotels in the lake had it)

The bathroom is also big and it has a great exterior shower with a window over the lake also.
The cottage has some holes in the wood but there were surprisingly no mosquitoes so no issue apart form a lizzard visit from time to time.

The staff is a big plus, as friendly and attentive as everywhere across Myanmar. They receive you every afternoon with a refreshment and towel and always try to make you fell as comfortable with them as it seems possible.

Just be aware that once in the hotel you are in its hands to arrange boat excursions or transfer to the airport and they do take advantage of it.
If you don´t have things arranged in advance I would recommend asking the taxi driver to stop in Nayung-shwe before taking the boat and shopping around the travel agencies for the boat excursions and airport arrangements.

I would recommend it, although maybe I would look for a similar one with A/C in the dry season

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FGE04
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Myanmar Treasure Resort at Inle Lake is a uniquely beautiful place arrived at by longboats. The resort has a spa with trained masseuses. The bungalows built on stilts in the water overlook a soothing lotus pond and organic vegetable garden from which the herbs for the meals are picked. Staff is genuinely attentive and kind. This is a perfect location for a romantic longweekend, meditative retreat, relaxing get away, or a jumping spot to tour multiple sites, such as the day market, the floating markets, Burmese Cat Heritage House, Jumping Cat Monastery, and the Mrauk U antiquities similar to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, but far less populated by tourists. We intend to visit again.

Room Tip: choose a bungalow on the side facing the golden stupa in the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marie M
Reviewed 5 July 2012

beautiful place within the lake. rooms are reasonably clean.

Room Tip: get the first row of rooms facing the lake
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This outfit doesn't feature in the Lonely Planet because it is owned by the generals' friends. In some ways this is good since it is less busy and you are more likely to get a room. Finding space at Inle can be very difficult and will get worse as the country gets more visited. It's on the lake and so be aware that you need a boat to get here and away (12.000K one way) but even so it's one of the closest places to the mainland.

Very nice rustic cottages on stilt, fantastic for sunset photos and good food.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake will get more noise from motor boats from dawn. But all rooms well equipped.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David866
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I visited Inle Lake during late May, which happens to be the low season. The hotel sits at the mouth of the lake and upon first glance, I found myself hoping that it was the Myanmar Treasure. While it sits on the lake, the boats shut their engines down and paddle the last 2-3 minutes of the journey, so it helps to minimize the noise. I was greeted with a welcome drink each time I returned to the hotel (normally fruit juice, but a receptionist was waiting with a hot towel and hot tea one rainy afternoon). The cottages are lovely--my kind of "camping"--and serene. The hotel maintains its own organic vegetable and lotus garden. And, this is a first--the turn down service included a personalized proverb typed on handmade paper and a mini-bouquet of fresh flowers. The staff members were warm and hospitable and went out of their way to ensure that I had a perfect stay. The hotel is self-contained, but I had everything I needed, and found the restaurant prices to be quite reasonable (approx $10 for a full entree); the included breakfast was also good. BRING Ks TO PAY FOR TRANSPORTATION--see more below.

**Here's the DOWNSIDE. While I'd negotiated an off-season room rate, the $182 DOLLARS I paid in transportation fees just about ruined my day. The hotel arranged transport via my travel coordinator, and I was told that it would cost $45 each way (just about what I pay in New York City) for the boat/taxi service. When I arrived, I noticed a couple negotiating with a taxi driver to take them to Inle (about 1 hour trip), so I offered them to travel with me. The woman who met me at the terminal insisted that I had only arranged for 1 person, so I left them behind (I should have persisted, since I was the one paying for the van service). Once I arrived to the hotel, I was asked whether I wanted the 5 visit tour (23,000 ks ) or the 5 visit +Indien tour (35,000 ks). We'd agreed that I would take the standard tour. The boat arrived promptly to pick me up and I had an amazing day tour. When it was time for me to checkout, I had a 129,000 ks transportation bill, and while I was able to pay for the room and restaurant charges in dollars, the transport was in ks (although I'd been quoted the airport fare in dollars). Instead of the standard 800 ks rate, I was only given 700, for which I paid a teacher's monthly salary ($20) in conversion fees. I have traveled extensively, and have *never paid that much for basic (yet personal) transport--it cost more than my Bagan to Inle to Yangon air fare ticket.

I would have loved to have given the property a 5, but the transport situation (although it was a separate company, I'm sure there was significant margin involved--none of which made its way to the staff or drivers) left things on a sour note. I'm trying not to think about it, because I don't want it to taint an otherwise perfect holiday.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank intlprof
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunggyi
Inle Resort & Spa
#2 of 38 in Nyaungshwe
Pristine Lotus Resort
Pristine Lotus Resort
#8 of 38 in Nyaungshwe

Been to Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake? Share your experiences!