“exotic setting . . . wonderful experience”

Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Taunggyi
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Spent three nights here while exploring Inle Lake. We loved this hotel. Each room is its own
small cabana/cabin situated on stilts over the lake. The room and bathroom are both large and there is a small porch from which you can appreciate the surrounding lake and hills. The bed is a bit hard as they don't have box springs, but sit on a wooden frame. In the early morning just before sunrise, warm air rising off of the lake creates a misty, eerie calm which is magical.

The staff at the hotel are really wonderful. They are always smiling and willing to help in any way they can. The very best greeting to use to greet all of the people in Myanmar is
" Mingalaba". It will bring smiles to their faces and illicit a similar response from them. You can tell that they appreciate that small but respectful way to acknowledge their culture.

The food is very good in the restaurant. The breakfast is varied and there is always lots of local fruits which are so good in the morning. At dinner I ordered a Thai dish that was excellent.

In the morning there were three young people dressed in native costumes, one as a very colorful butterfly. Make sure to get a picture with them.

My wife and I were on a tour of SE Asia. We had massages in three different countries. The one we had at this hotel was the best of the bunch . . . as a matter of fact . . . the Swedish massage I had was the very best massage I have ever had in my life. And so inexpensive. Make sure you indulge.

Be sure to have you boatman slow down on the look to observe the local fisherman and their unique way paddling their dugouts. It is so interesting to see how the people live on the lake and use it for growing crops, transportation and commerce.

Inle Lake is truly an unforgettable place to visti . . . serene and beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose between a room that is to the front of the resort, more sunny and hot, or a quiet room toward...
6  Thank Dunford23

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Six of us stayed at the Myanmar Treasure for two nights. We would give the hotel a five star recommendation but the restaurant only a four because the dinner menu was not really memorable, but the breakfasts were quite good with many choices. The hotel rooms were awesome, on stilts, with indoor and outdoor showers, white chiffon draped beds to keep out the mosquitoes (although we didn't really see many while we were there). They had a stage show one night while we were there and two exquisitely costumed "peacocks" each morning for guests to take pictures. Lots of smiles and helpfulness from every staff member. As we approached the hotel in the boat, two fishermen did the one-legged ballet with the fishing trap and then when we got closer, each boat picked up a one legged rower to take us in. Loved the whole thing!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank teachers55
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My Wife and I stayed at this resort from February 15th to 18th, 2014 in a Lakeview Room and really enjoyed it. The staff were wonderful, helpful and friendly and the breakfast and dinners were great. The rooms are large with a balcony overlooking the lake, a sitting area in the room with a king sized bed and large bathroom adjoining. There is an inside shower/bath as well as an outside private shower which we used.
We had a personal guide for the two of us and visited the sights on Inle Lake in a long tail boat which everyone uses.
The only caution I would say is do not buy from the silversmiths on the lake as we bought a necklace for $150 USD which we found exactly the same in Mandalay for $70.

Room Tip: book a Lakeview Room for the minimal price difference.
3  Thank Traveller_Brody
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights and generally liked the hotel. The room was large, but for some reason had no drawers for clothes so we had no work out of our suitcases. The bathroom was very nice with an outdoor shower that worked out very well. The bed was elegant but the mattress didn't quite fit the frame, which made getting out of bed a little tricky.

Because access is by boat and boats don't operate after dark, we had all our dinners in the hotel, as well as breakfasts. The meals were OK, but nothing special.

The hotel is near the north side of the lake which puts it away from most of the attractions but nearer the airport. That's a good thing, because flights leave in the morning and an early trip by boat can get awfully cold. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed an extra 20 minutes on the lake at that time, though the ride was very pleasant at midday.

5  Thank Richlo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We just returned from Myanmar. This hotel was excellent. The location was close to the entrance to Inle Lake and provided more solitude and peace. The rooms were very large and well appointed. Particularly enjoyed the front porches and views from the many windows. The outdoor shower with a lake view window while showering was beyond the beyond. All quite magical. We were well taken care of by the staff. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms right next to the lake with no others in front.
2  Thank maggiepick
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Since I was on a see everything all at once visa run tour of Myanmar for 6 days I only managed to stay here 1 night. After seeing all the other requisite attractions Myanmar has to offer I have to say this place was the highlight of my trip. The hotel is is very unusual in that it sits over the water directly. I was a bit paranoid of mosquitos but during the season I was there they weren't a problem . The place is exquisitely beautiful and serviced by the always charming Burmese people. The food buffet was very well done. This is the place to come with a romantic partner and kick back for about a week or two.
In the daytime it can get quite hot but at night the temperature can plummet into the 50's ( F) so bring a polar fleece style jacket. No need for Air Con either. I was fortunate enough to avoid the tourist handicraft schlock centers. This place reminded me of old time Venice ,Italy or Bangkok before it became a city. Try to get a room at the front facing the lake but all the rooms were quite nice. Bring mosquito repellant as no one needs Dengue these days especially when things get hotter and muggier. I'll include some of my National Geographic photos that I managed not to screw up.

Room Tip: Front rooms (pricier) are the way to go. If you need junk food snacks etc I'd advise buying in t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank bones54
Reviewed 11 February 2014

All of the major properties on the lake require a boat ride to get there, which should be arranged along with your hotel booking. A short 30 minute ride from town will give you the first glimpse of this clean, calm lake. The hotel rooms all sit on the water and will sway gently with footsteps. The dining room is spectacular and the a la carte menu is excellent. There is no shortage of staff to keep you happy, which makes for a busy tipping at the end of your stay, unless you're a cheap European or ignorant North American. It's difficult to imagine that most of the staff members make less than $10 per day. There is no heat or air con, so mornings can be freezing. Also, the bed is stiff so I asked for an extra comforter to be used as bedding to cushion the stiffness.

Room Tip: Extra comforter for cushioning. Profits leave the lake so tip the woefully underpaid staff.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wvzjxq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunggyi
Inle Resort & Spa
#2 of 38 in Nyaungshwe
Pristine Lotus Resort
Pristine Lotus Resort
#8 of 38 in Nyaungshwe

Been to Myanmar Treasure Inle Lake? Share your experiences!