“Top notch”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Nyaung Shwe
STL
“Top notch”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I was on a packaged tour which had arranged to stay at the Aureum Inle Resort & Spa and because of that, you never know what kind of accomodations you're going to end up with. The two nights that I spent there far exceeded my expectations and when I walked in the room I was so busy standing there in awe, the bellman literally tried umpteen times to get my attention. The rooms are huge and it's almost something like out of Arabian nights. The nice four-poster bed with the artfully draped mosquito netting....the scenic view out of the double french doors....the small little sitting room with primary colored pillars decorating the divan - just wow.

The bathroom, although not well thought out for actual use (such as no towel racks anywhere near the bathroom sink) was like something out of Architectural Digest. Huge. Spacious. Gorgeous. There's a large oaken soaking tub with a pullout spray nozzle that just begged to be used. Alas, even though I tried twice, I was in a bungalow that was at the far reaches of the property and I never did get enough hot water to make myself get in. A shame - but from what I understand, no one else in the tour group had problems with the lack of hot water.

The staff are amazing. They seem genuinely happy to meet you and amazingly quick to respond to any wish or whim. Had called about a maintenance issue and I swear the guy was in my room in about two minutes - and then there was a follow up phone call later just to make sure things were truly fixed. Every evening there was a knock on the door for turndown service and then optional mosquito spray. Yes, there are mosquitos in the Inle Lake region but if you're faithful about applying repellent, you'll have no problems.
Not sure who is responsible for overseeing the staff, but do know that every time I looked around, Pa Pa Min was around with these huge smile and helping attitude. Anything she could do to help, she would.

Ate at the restaurant a couple of times and was well-satisifed. Did the dinner buffet and was pleased with the variety. Believe me, anyone in a tour group usually is in no danger of starving to death. For the breakfast buffet there was this Shan noodle soup that was killer. We were there when they had a cultural show which usually I think these are pretty hokey, but this featured performances/players I'd never seen anywhere - well worth it. Felt badly as by the time the show began, a lot of people in the audience had slipped away just because they were exhausted from the relatively early start in the day and the go-go pace of the tour.

This hotel/resort would have been a dream destination for a romantic getaway, but since I was there with me, myself and I, not so much:):)

If I ever get that way again, would definitely stay here again. My only regret is by the time got back to the resort the gift shop was closed - but sure that saved me some bucks, but still - a shame!

Did use the pool and the water was cool enough I was bold enough to get in to my knees. No more!

Kind of an ironic note - there was a safety deposit box in the room for your valuables but it's not anchored to anything:):) so if you can lift about five pounds, you're good to go.

Highly recommend!

Room Tip: To be sure you have hot water for your soaking tub, make sure you try and stay closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank barefooting

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hotel is clean, new, and beautiful. The rooms are large and the service is personal and attentive. I didn't visit other properties in the area but I loved this place. The Aureum property in Bagan is a different story--don't stay there.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Wanderlustsid
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 August 2012

First the positives:

--The rooms are gigantic; HUGE with lots of space to unpack, organize yourself etc. If you like lots of space this is the hotel for you;
--EXTREMELY clean; This was probably the cleanest hotel we encountered during our entire trip;
--There is a pool although in our time there not a single person used it;
--The gift store is amazing! We found laquerware, lotus silk scarves, local tribal jewelery and more for similar prices to local markets and souvenir shops; We ended up buying an enormous number of our souvenirs here;
--Really good buffet breakfast;
--Excellent service with incredibly friendly and attentive staff (sometimes too attentive! It felt overwhelming!!!) The people who worked at this hotel were some of the nicest I've ever encountered in our travels.

The negatives:
--Crony ownership; I'm convinced that these high ranking government officials who open hotels and service related businesses are going to kill tourism in Myanmar; They don't understand guest and don't seem to even care about them except as walking ATMs! My guess is they've existed too long in a top-down environment that features no accountability (to customers, co-owners, even employees) that such businesses are run with little of the customer or their experience in mind; The employees seem to care enormously so that helps but there were signs of poor management everywhere like the fact that all the rooms looked abandoned with furniture stacked up against windows etc. It was grim and depressing looking;
--Balconies were great in theory but the execution of them sucked; There were no mosquito coils/incense and the furniture for them was turned over and cushions stacked up against the windows in the room (?!?); We had to set the balcony up ourselves; When the maids came to do the room they stacked everything up back inside; It was sort of frustrating;
--We were two of 15 people there; That means about 7% occupancy; Depressing to say the least; the hotel had a closed up feel to it that made it sort of grim; lack of people is fine; making me walk pasted 20 closed up bungalows to get to my room that look vacant and abandoned was not helping the situation;
--The restaurant: Expensive and not so great. I think the thing that bugged me the most was the excessive formality of it. I was enjoying the relaxing vibe of Inle and then you are thrust into this bizarre dining experience that seems to be someone's warped view of western elegance; The attempt at sophistication was simply misplaced and unwanted by me anyway. A more casual, fun dining spot would have been much more appreciated than what the restaurant offers. The food was ok but way too much. We couldn't even half of it! We were the only people eating so I guess they were trying to get rid of stuff;
--Bed was hard and pillows were like rocks. We slept on the corner sofa it was so bad...
--Air conditioning was pretty limited; The AC unit just couldn't cool the room. It was too big. You couldn't really leave the windows/doors open due to the massive amounts of mosquitoes; You had to close the doors to the huge bathroom in order to achieve limited cooling and that left the bathroom with it's skylights like a sauna with tons of daylight heat trapped in;
--As much as the rooms were big, they were laid out in such a weird way that most of it was unuseable; and very few outlets for charging cameras and phones;
--Location: You will be isolated away from anything other than the hotel. Which puts the pressure on to really really really like it.

Looking back I think we would have been better off just staying in Nyueng Shwe at the AmazingHotel and exploring Inle by boat from there...the lake itself is really interesting and worth taking time to see in detail. The resort simply added little to nothing to that experience.

Room Tip: There seems to be little to no difference between the single and double bungalows; privacy is impact...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Michael-and-Jose
Singapore
Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

Just came back from Myanmar. Great value due to low season and the villa is super big.

Staff are friendly and resort is away from main lake traffic.

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank pctan202
Brisbane
Reviewed 3 June 2012

There is not much to say about this resort. Great location on the lake, well appointed rooms and excellent staff. The General Manager obviously has extreme pride in his property and his staff and he went out of his way to make our stay perfect.

The only slight drawback is that it is a new property and they were in the process of finalising some details in the grounds, etc. Otherwise, could not fault the property.

Suggest that you enjoy a drink at sunset on the outdoor bar area and also take a short trip (15 minutes from the resort) to the Red Mountain Vineyard...they have an excellent Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz.

Will definitely be back and highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Hotelier_from_AUS
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Brand new hotel, everything is perfectly design and beautiful. Simply one of the best hotel we have ever been. Wonderful staff, well trained by Pa Pa Min who takes care of everything. Highly recommended.
Thank you Pa Pa Min for making our stay so charming.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank HBoivin
Nuernberg
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel is just three months old and apparently there have been some minor problems shortly after starting. That´s over now. We stayed in March and were overwhelmed by the friendlyness of all staffmembers. These young dedicated people come from nearby villages and were trained by the phantastic training manageress Pa Pa Min in a way , we never encountered before. Everybody is always smiling and helpful , there is no artifical friendlyness like in many of the big hotel chains : You are literally carried on hands 24 hours , everything comes from heart. Of course there are still some minor language problems , but this is normal in a country ,which is so different from most of the other asian natioms. If you expect the Ko Samui- , Pattaya-, Phuket- etc feeling , Myanmar is the wrong destination. The hotel offers the real Inle Lake experience: Boats landing at the pier, small villages nearby , abolutely quiet and peaceful . The spacious villas are about 100 sqm big, tastefully decorated , with a huge bathroom( wooden tub and big shower) and from the spacious balcony we enjoyed the sunset . Since there are no restaurants nearby, you will have to eat in the hotel restaurant. Especially the the asian dishes are very tasteful, but there are also western dishes on the menu . The incredible friendliness of the staff members made every meal special. Be gentle, even if someone does not understand all your wishes at the first moment because of limited language skills. Pa Pa Min is always in the background and will assist with a smile. We are a group of five friends , regulary travelling together. All of us had the impression, that the Aureum Inle has been one of the most charming hotels we ever stayed in. Absolutely recommended !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
ViewPoint Lodge & Fine Cuisines
Thanakha Inle Hotel
Thanakha Inle Hotel
#4 of 37 in Nyaung Shwe

Been to Aureum Palace Resort & Spa Inle? Share your experiences!