“Very basic, what you pay is what you get.”
Review of Pyinsa Rupa

Pyinsa Rupa
Kuantan, Malaysia
“Very basic, what you pay is what you get.”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

In a land of 'no cheap accomodation', pyinsa rupa guesthouse is considered cheap. I travelled with my family and we rented a family room (1 doubke & 1single bed) for USD30. The room was very basic with beds and an old wooden table. No dressing table. The floor was in need of a good mop! It did have air conditioning though.

The bathroom was rundown, but atleast we didnt have to shate with others. There was a shower and a bathtub. Hot water was lukewarm.

There were several restaurants nextdoor so food was easy.

For a nights stay, it was OK. If you stay longer, best to go somewhere else. I guess for it's 'cheap' rate, you have to expect vey little.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the new part. We payed 20usd for double room. We had aircon, good breakfast, wifi. Staff helped us to book tickets. They called and helped to book our next hotel in Mandalay and even advised us how to get from bus station to hotel without getting ripped off. Rooms were fairly clean. They have generator so you have electricity even when the power is off. Be sure to stay in the new part because the old one is just awful. They also have cheap and good restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I recommend this place to all backpackers on a budget. The rooms are clean, free wi-fi and nice breakfast. The staff are really helpful in helping to organise day trips or onward bus journeys.

Many thanks

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This review is referring to the new wing of this guesthouse. Some unit of this guesthouse is still under construction. We were lucky to have the new unit.It is expensive( I think It applies across whole Myanmar). New air-con, new shower, new bed etc.Free wifi is at the reception area. No B/F. Friendly staff. Decent food can be found nearby. Bicycle for rental is available around the corner.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Like the other reviewers, I'm of those who ended up here because I came without advanced booking or reservation. Everywhere was fully booked, leaving me with no other choice. I was initially given a room at the second floor at the end of the hallway. I believe it's Room 210. OMG - it was the worst room I've ever seen in my entire traveling life! Everything is dirty, the windows are almost falling off, the bathroom tiles were full of molds eeeek.... and worst of all, there is no working electric outlet! So where the hell you're suppose to charge your camera batteries? I argued with the receptionist that there is no way I'm paying for USD20 for that kind of room. It's not even worth USD10! I demanded for a "decent" room. He then told me the only one left, is at the new building which is USD5 more, he showed it to me and it was much much better. New, clean and has a working outlet. I didn't mind paying a little more extra as long as I'll be comfortable. If you're not tired enough from your trip going to Bagan, please look for other options. I wouldn't recommend this guesthouse unless you don't have any other choice.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and ask a room located at the new building. I guarantee you, it is so much bette...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Nyaung U hotels

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Got in 3:30am and was brought here, a room with 2 beds was $35. Room was dirty, no toilet paper, internet didn't work, electricity was in and out. The longer haired dude who works the front desk is also pretty rude. They didn't tell us breakfast was included, so we had no idea the 2 nights we stayed there.

Yes, I realize this is Myanmar and I should adjust my expectations. However, this place could easily be improved with nicer staff, cleaner rooms and more use of the generator when the power goes out.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for one night. Insanely overpriced (25 USD, other rooms were 30) for what we were getting: FILTH. Everywhere, be it the bathroom, the floor, the sheets, the towels. On top of that, no soap or toilet paper but did provide a simple breakfast (as most places in Myanmar do)

A place like these should cost 5-10 USD. It is clearly the place where those of us without a booking end up. They know it and deliberately overcharge you. True, February is high season, and Myanmar has an evident lack of offer to meet the rising demand, but in places like these you just simply feel insulted.

The areas of greatest population density were the lobby and a couple of benches right outside the hotel.

An interesting travel and sociological experience, but I'd rather not repeat it.

I was there mid-February 2013.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Nyaung U
May Kha Lar Guest House
May Kha Lar Guest House
#9 of 13 in Nyaung U

Been to Pyinsa Rupa? Share your experiences!