“This happens to be a rather nice place”
Review of Zfreeti Hotel

Zfreeti Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Nyaung U
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“This happens to be a rather nice place”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The price was OK.
The location was quiet and not far from everywhere.
The rooms were clean.
The pool was very welcome in the Bagan heat, and it was the perfect place to hang out in the evening, go early because everyone is doing it.
The mattress was too soft for me, but I have a hard time sleeping in a new place anywhere.
Breakfast was not good!
Bar was limited in its offerings.
I would go again and stay here!

Room Tip: Take the rooms right behind the reception, they are much better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MoeLwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a standard room for 2 nights.  The hotel is clean, modern and comfortable located in a very good location.  Toiletries are provided with working aircon and wifi.    I was lucky that my room was perfectly fine with no sewage smell mentioned in the other reviews here. The restaurant street is just located in the next street and there is even a Asia Green Development Bank money exchange located on the same restaurant street.  The exchange rate was USD100 to 960kyats.  Good to see the swimming pool after coming back from a hot day tour even though I did not swim.  For the price i paid, I will say it isjustifiable.  The reception also helped me to book my bus ticket to Mandalay and there's free transport provided by the bus company to pick up from hotel to the bus station.  Do remember to ask the reception to confirm as I was not been informed until I asked about it.   The other feedback I had was 5 days prior to my arrival, I emailed the hotel about getting from Nyaung U bus station to the hotel.   I was been informed that I could walk 5mins to reach the hotel.  Upon my arrival at the bus station, the people there informed me that this is the new bus station and it is about 7km to the hotel so in the end, I took a taxi to the hotel at 7,000kyats.   I was quite surprised that the staff who replied to my email was not aware that the bus station moved 2 weeks ago.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NSEL
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent three days in this hotel, we chose it because of the swimming pool, and It was the best. Bagan is too hot in May, so taking a rest during the luch break is necessary... and a rest swimming in the pool is much better! The rooms are ok (actually it was the only bathroom in our whole trip where the shower was separated, but common areas are the best. The breakfast is very goog and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I recommend this hotel, and of course I would stay there again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Well, what we got at the Zfreeti Hotel it was exactly the same we saw in the photos.., it was really excellent, and for sure the best place I had in Myanmar. The relation Price-Quality could not be better. Very nice and comfortable rooms, quite good breakfast, professional staf, fast wi-fi, and the best: the swimingpool.... of course.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jorge_Abell
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The other reviews allude to the downfalls of this hotel but I don't think they emphasize them enough.

Some points on our stay here
- the photos of the hotel are deceiving. The pool was an algae covered pond the entire time we were here. They kept telling us they would clean it tomorrow. They did not offer us a discount on our room even though the pool was the main reason we stayed here.
- the room is the smallest we stayed in in Myanmar. Not room for two people plus luggage. We inquired about a larger room and we're told they were $20 more a night.
- the wifi works occasionally. I was not working for the entire first day we were here.
- there is a distinctive sewer smell that permeates the rooms sporadically
- the air con is not very strong. I was so hot in the room. In 50 degree heat this is unacceptable. The hotel did, however, provide us with a fan to help us sleep.
- the shower did not drain. We had to ask staff to come in and clean it out.

The one redeeming factor of this hotel is its proximity to the restaurant street and tour agencies. This was great for renting bikes, rating and booking onward bus travel.

Also the hotel was quite clean and new. Both great things

Overall is hotel is overpriced and the pictures make it seem to good to be true for the price. It is too good to be true. I would stay in new bagan at a hotel with a pool if I came again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Krista L
London, England
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location
The hotel is located in the town of Nyaung U which is the best location as the temples of Old Bagan area is very close, 20 minutes by electric bike or 30 min by normal bicycle. The airport & bus station is about 20 minutes drive away & you shouldn't pay more than 7000 from the bus station (despite the aggressive taxi drivers saying it is 12,000 at bus station).
From the hotel within walking distance down street are the best restaurants in Bagan such as Weatherspoon's & Black bamboo. There is also multiple tour agencies, souvenir shops & bicycle hire places (which is half the price of the hotel). The main Pagoda Shwezigon is also located about 10-15 minute walk from hotel. I saw New Bagan & think this area is much better location both for eating and temples.
Room
The standard double bed room was very clean, very new and quite cosy. It had a white wall boutique feel to it & included a large & comfortable double bed on a nice raised wood platform. There was a small ledge (not table) where the flat screen TV was located & included about 10 satellite channels, two in English, one in French - rest is in Burmese/Chinese/Japanese. A mini fridge comes with mini bar non alcoholic drinks but no snacks - some cups & saucers are provided,but kettle is on request but no tea/coffee is provided -although two bottles of water everyday is. There is also a open wardrobe which doubles as a mirror on one side that faces the small bathroom.
They provide a full set of essential amenities in mini bottles & include dental kits. The shower is segregated with a glass panel as all other hotels in MM seem to have toilet and shower in same room. It has good strength of water & temperature. The sink is quite boutique and include a hair dryer above it which also can be used as a power plug.
The room has somewhat limited power plugs with one unusually placed between the bed on the back wall (US plug). There are some bedside tables and a small light between the beds but no clock. A/C worked well and is all done by remote.
Whilst the room is a fairly good product the system of power requires only the room key, so when you leave the room, the air conditioning stops resulting in a hot room when you return. Using another card from your wallet does not work. Found the nights quite hot even with air con on full. This is the fault that the hotel need to look at as the air con was weak even on coldest setting compared to most hotels I stayed at.
Facilities
The hotel offers free WIFI (one password, multiple devices) which actually worked well & was one of the best in Myanmar as it never dropped and although slightly slow was faster than Yangon. Breakfast is included and they offer a decent buffet of both western and Asian choices , hot and continental on the roof with a nice morning breeze. It is a nice setting and found the food to be good quality, also one can have dinner as they have an extensive menu.
The highlight of facilities though is the pool in which is a great place to chill on the large cushioned style beds both day and evening especially nice to drink beer and look at the stars. It is open for swimming until 10pm- it just does not have enough beds for size of hotel and think more should be included. Bicycle hire is available but the electric bikes are nearly double the price what they are down the road.
Staff
Staff are very nice in all areas from housekeeping to the bar, they are all welcoming and make all efforts to make you feel important by assisting you. I lost my camera and they kindly helped me make signs in Burmese to offer a reward. The manager in particular is very kind, but all staff are friendly and enjoyed having a good conversation with.
All in all I give this hotel 5 stars, it is in a very well located, nice boutique atmosphere with a really nice ambience at the pool especially after the sun has gone down, is just perfect relax and have a cocktail. Although i was solo, I think it would be a romantic setting. Along with true natural and sincere hospitality of exceptionally friendly staff plus great value for money - It was the best hotel I stayed at in Myanmar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank docdot
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It's a beautiful property and tastefully-designed with a small pool and a rooftop restaurant. Good value for its price. The basic room is very spacious, beds comfortable. I had no issues with the bathroom. The canal smell of the water goes away after you run the faucet for 30 minutes. A small issue is whenever leave the room, the power is shut down so you can't charge your gadgets while you're out and the fridge also shuts down so you can't have a cold drink in your room when you get back from touring. But those are very minor. This hotel also seems to be very popular with young backpackers, who at the time had a very rowdy pool party. It's very close to the restaurant row (at the end of the road is Aroma 2, an excellent Indian restaurant). You need to rent a bike to go to the market -- ask for a free map. Wifi is decent -- the slowness/fastness of the internet shouldn't be a big deal when you are on vacation. Breakfast is good and coffee is strong -- they have an egg station. Great deal in Bagan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sky View Hotel
Sky View Hotel
#5 of 46 in Bagan
The Hotel at Tharabar Gate

Been to Zfreeti Hotel? Share your experiences!