“Very nice and a great price but many quaint oddities”

The Khemara Battambang I Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Battambang
Flinders Island, Australia
“Very nice and a great price but many quaint oddities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel coped very well with my half-reservation (enquiry made late the night before, then we left at 6am so couldn't confirm). We went straight to the very nice pool after a hot long fascinating day on the river boat. But were told we had to get a pool ticket from reception (event though we had a room key to prove we were guests). There was no white wine despite many choices on the menu, then no tequila sunsets; finally won with a margharita (ordered two since it looked like they might take a while to get there, good planning). Strange that we couldn't put it on the room bill but nice enough. Some really tasty noodles at the restaurant then bed in our huge room (they'd upgraded us to a VIP room that has more space than our entire apartment at home). The staff didn't really know what time buses were (though they said they did) but arranged for our tickets anyway and were all very pleasant.Breakfast was cold and not to great but all in all the hotel was quite good value: a room for $30 with a pool where other hotels with a pool in Battambang are a fair bit more.

Room Tip: The VIP rooms are absolutely huge
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

I recently stayed for 4 weeks at the hotel, having also stayed there for 2 weeks in 2009. During my stay, I was able to smile despite: reporting a faulty bathroom light several times and not having it fixed adequately; water-pipe noise echoing through the walls; there being no 'special rate' for extended stays despite advertising such a deal in the hotel brochure; unavailable items on the menu of the barn-like dining room; having to pay extra for breakfast, which had been included in the price during my previous visit; having to ask for breakfast dishes to be replenished despite myriad staff cruising the room - mainly chatting to their friends or watching the karaoke clips on the TV; having to pay four times the going rate for the (very slow) internet service or to hire a bike; a bus ticket being purchased on my behalf for the wrong day and for TWICE the actual price of the ticket. Eventually and regretably, on check-out, my patience was just stretched too far and I 'snapped' due to the inadequate level of service. Until then, I had been happy to think all that I was experiencing was part of travelling in an underdeveloped country and to try to enjoy the idiosyncracies.There were many delightful and smiling staff members; if, however, the hotel wants to encourage tourists to stay there, I think it should try to lift its game! Fewer but better trained staff would be a good start.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Entebbe, Uganda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Stayed here on business. Paid $15 for a night, the floor was a bit sticky but the bed and bathrooms were clean. Shower curtain was positioned quite funnily - it did not meet the floor and as a result, water splashed outside of it. Hot water came in spurts so settled for a cold shower. Lobby was hot - no aircon! Massage was good - quite well trained therapists. No bar, and it was a bit far of the city center. Restaurant did not look attractive though.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Khmera Bttembang is new, clean; well run it’s a very nice place to stay. The rooms are large, comfortable and well equipped. The pool is large and appears well looked after. Staff are attentive and professional, especially the responses to email bookings.
The only minor detraction is the distance from town.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank peaceofangkor
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

This hotel is a couple of kilometers from the heart of the central part of town, but very walkable, but, there was always a tuk tuk outside if you preferred to not walk. The cost of the hotel is so very affordable and was very comfortable in a quiet part of town.

What you don't spend on accommodation you can use to go to some of the great eating places in Battambang. We ate at the hotel for dinner the first night as we were travel weary, but wished we hadn't, as there were so many better and affordable places to eat in town.

It was nice to have a dip in the pool and we decided to use the gym, which was very well equipped and well maintained.

Breakfast was included in the tarriff, but wasn't usually hot, food is not a forte of the hotel. But for the price to have breakfast included is a bonus.

Note: Make sure that you take a ride on the bamboo train.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolynthb
THAOSOKMUNY, Owner at The Khemara Battambang I Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review regarding your most recent stay at the Khemara Battambang 1 Hotel. We were delighted you had chosen the Khemara and also great to hear that you like the location, the pool, and the fitness center.
Thank you once again and I hope to service you again in the future.

Best regards,
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Seems like the other reviews on trip advisor are pretty accurate, however, be careful of the VIP rooms. We got one and it has NO window at all. Bit like sleeping in a crypt!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
THAOSOKMUNY, Owner at The Khemara Battambang I Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
Dear Surfer Peter,

I regret to hear that you were unhappy to stay in the windowless room at my hotel. I apologize that my staff place you to the unwanted room. There are few rooms with no window because of the design. I have told my staff that before placing guests to the windowless rooms they have to tell the guests and let them see the room first if the guests accept to take those rooms, they can place the guests. They front desk must not place the guests to those rooms unless the window rooms are full and accepted by the guests.
Again, I am sorry for that. Hope you'll stay in the nice window one for your nest visit.
Thanks for staying at the Khemara.

Have a Great New Year 2011 !
and wish you a Happy Chiness New Year !

Mr. THAO
Owner
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed at the Khemara that was a bit out of town and had a pool. I was very impressed with the value. US$15 got you a pretty spacious room with a/c and hot water. Upgrade to the VIP room for $25 to get a shower w/ a tub. The hotel seems like they're still sealing the floors and that it is fairly newly constructed; however, it also looks like the builders didn't pay a lot of attention to detail. For example, my bathtub had many stains, which the staff said was cement/grout. There was a restaurant playing loud music but that shut down at 9 PM. I believe the hotel itself played loud music after that, but it didn't bother me. The staff tried very hard to be helpful, although I have to say I was surprised by their lack of ability to speak even semi-fluent English. Before my second night in town, I checked out other hotels around the central market; and, I actually stayed at a hotel (President Hotel) on the east side of the river. But, I think Khemara was definitely the best of all of the ones I saw. I would return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
THAOSOKMUNY, Owner at The Khemara Battambang I Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
Dear Value Guest,

First of all I would like to say Happy New Year to you.
Thanks for your impression and the feedback. I also thank you for rating us as the BEST HOTEL of all the ones you saw and you said you would return. Actually, the mangement of this hotel has been trying to provide the maximum value, sleep quality, cleanliness, safety, security, great and full services to make the guests have the pleasant stay in Battambang, Cambodia. I hope there will be no complaint at your next stay. Hope you come again, maybe, with your family. Have a geat visit to the Kingdom of Wonder!

Mr. THAO