“Cheap accommodation and safe place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Battambang
Khemara Battambang Hotel
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Battambang
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The accommodation is cheap at the Khemara at $28 a night inc breakfast. The rooms are spacious with aircon and fans, tv and all the mod cons. I had a few cold showers but this is Cambodia and it's hot so it doesn't matter much and mostly it was hot enough. The rooms could do with a good spring clean behind the beds as it's pretty dusty back there but the sheets and bathrooms are spotless and cleaned each day. The bed was also very comfortable and I slept well. I feel very safe at the Khemara 1 and there are great tuk tuk drivers out the front that makes transport into town a breeze. Overall it's good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EllieDL

Reviewed 10 September 2013

There are a few issues that I have about this place, and generally they are not good. Although staff are pleasant and the hotel itself is ok, say a 3* max, I was unhappy with my overall stay.

So I have had suspicions that things were going amiss but brushed them off thinking it was my paranoia or poor recall. However today the penny dropped and I've realised that my food has been taken/eaten, leaving only two crackers from a packet of about 30 and I'd only eaten about 10. Strange.
On a more important note, I handed in a bag of valuables to reception for safe-keeping since I was leaving Battambang for a few days. The next day they rang me to say that I hadn't been to my room that day. They asked when I would be back. I thought, 'oh, how sweet, they are checking I'm ok and being organised etc for the cleaners etc'.....
On my return three days later I collected my bag - which was in an unlocked desk drawer at reception (there was no safe!) Two days later I receive a phone call in my room and they informed me I still had to collect a key from reception.
I was a bit confused because I don't recall missing any. Then the receptionist said, 'your suitcase key'. I assumed they guessed what it was for.

Now in hindsight a few days later, after discovering the crackers incident I am a lot more concerned.
1) How come the key was separated from the bag that I handed in (because I wouldn't have handed in a bag and not enclosed a small key). Someone must have gone through my bag when I handed it in, in order to find the key and take it out, separating it.
2) How did the person know it was for my suitcase?! - Did reception take it and look in my room, did the cleaner have a look? who knows, but it makes me worried about what goes on there.

When I complained the language barrier didn't help and they managed to give me $8 refund - out of $168 I owed! So customer service isn't high on their list.

On the plus side, I don't think anything was stolen.

They clean the rooms every day and remove the bar of soap so every day you open a new (provided) pack. This seems a bit of a waste and illogical, and even worse when they didn't give me a replacement bar but still removed the one i'd opened the day before.

Careless and untrustworthy. I would not return. This review is for the smaller Khemara Battambang Hotel and not the 'Khemara 1 Battambang'.

Room Tip: dont choose one!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The swimming pool is large and has nice poolside bar as well . The value is unbeatable for the quality of the rooms and ameneties . Our room was spacious , but simple style , the staff were sweet to us and helped with local tours . The breakfast not included so we walked accross the road and had a khmer breakfast with the best coffee for about 4.00 .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Late arrival walk in, friendly receptionists speaking enough English, rooms were ready & clean, A/C worked fine, comfortable bed & clean linen, empty mini bar though cold beers were delivered quickly at most reasonable cost. At $15.00 per night... Beat that if you can. Expect no fuss, refinement nor 4-5 star service - at that cost I expect to help myself if needed. Pool bar staff friendly and chatty. We didn't intend to nor tried the restaurant. Quite central location. Does the job!

Room Tip: High floor, not onto the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very good value , our 15.00 per night room was clean and spacious , all the usual amenities , the staff very efficient and friendly , good service . The swimming pool is large and has a nice bar poolside . Breakfast was not included , but cheap , not too bad . The location is convenient , tuk- tuks are available from the front of the hotel .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I've stayed at the Khemara I for the last 5 years. For the 6 years before that, I stayed at the TE.O., which is now defunct. I work for an NGO that brings teams of Khmers and foreigners into town throughout the year, and am personally responsible for at least $40,000 in bookings for this hotel.

That may be coming to an end.

I don't expect to be treated like a rock star when I come here, but I do expect honesty, integrity and value. Although the standards have decreased over the past year or so, this trip was especially bad.

My organization booked 3 rooms, and booked them at least a week in advance. We asked for a specific configuration (one room with one bed for me and my wife, two doubles). When we arrived, it was clear that they had not reserved our rooms.

They claimed that the nicer side of the hotel was completely booked (although we saw no evidence of this), and they placed us in the older, worse-for-the-wear building. The room they gave me and my wife was dirty, the towels frayed and had two small beds, rather than one.

When I asked to change rooms, they told me that it was impossible, and I'd have to wait for the next day. That night, it was difficult to sleep, as prostitutes from the attached Karaoke lounge were talking and laughing loudly late into the night in a hallway visible and audible from our window.

Worse yet, we discovered at about 7 a.m. that the staff thought it appropriate to chat outside of our room, and that major construction would be underway just one hour later in rooms to the left, right and below us. We're talking sledgehammers, power tools and crashing drywall and tiles. At 8 o'clock in the morning. It sounded like they were actually IN our room.

Shabby fixtures and poor booking procedures is one thing, and can perhaps be expected at an inexpensive hotel, but I remain infuriated that they would book us three rooms in a construction site. Why not just tell us "I'm sorry. We will not be able to book your party for these dates?" I don't know if it's greed or bad decision making, but it's absolutely unacceptable.

If I hadn't promised my 8 year old daughter who was accompanying us that we would be staying at a place with a pool in Battambang, we would have checked out immediately.

The next day they switched us to the much nicer side of the hotel, and it's been uneventful and mostly pleasant (apart from the stench of durian in one of our hallways), but I'll leave this trip with a bad feeling about the hotel. There are a lot of hotels in this town, and many are starving for business. I'd love to continue patronizing the Khemara, but I feel like I owe it to the people I'm hosting to book them somewhere that makes an effort towards hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The rooms are large with a balcony and a basic bathroom. The air conditioner works well and the room is clean. WiFi is free with our room, the speed varied from room to room though. The water out of their taps are slightly brown and smelly and there is mould all over the shower curtain. This is a cheap room (15USD) so good for the rate charged but don't expect more than a clean room with good air conditioning and a clean bed. The hotel does have rooms with a better bathroom and amenities in a more modern/better cared for wing for an extra 10USD. Breakfast is passable, again good value given the charges.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends