“Great coffee and friendly space”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kinyei Cafe

Kinyei Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$6
Cuisines: Cafe, Cambodian
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Kinyei cafe serve a new Western style menu for breakfast, lunch and some Khmer foods.We are dedicated to sustainable fair-trade,regionally sourced coffee roasted by Feel Good Coffee Roasters in Phnom Penh.
Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Great coffee and friendly space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

A lovely little cafe tucked in the side street with great coffee and a nice chill out space. The street coffee is great with a really nice Cambodian twist!! The toastie was pretty good also.

• Visited July 2014

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Kinyei Espresso Bar Thumbs Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

From reading the plethora of rave blogs on Kinyei Espresso Bar it seemed like it would be the kind of eccentric place I cotton to.
I like funky, down home joints and Kinyei certainly is funky, nearly ramshackle. So its ambiance was spot on.
Now for the highly touted food fare. I ordered the banana cake and Cambodian coffee. My son ordered a shake and a croissant. I’ve been living in developing countries for three decades so I don’t expect fast food. I’ve learned patience. That said Kinyei’s food took an inordinate amount of time to get served, even by 3rd world standards.
The banana cake was old as the hills. I bet if they carbon dated it; you’d find it was first baked sometime in the Jurassic era. Likewise for the croissant.
Sure no restaurant wants to throw away food, there goes the profit margin. Still, stale is stale and once rigor mortis sets in it can’t be revived no matter what you do. Then its time to bake a fresh cake and feed the stale one to the dog.
My experience is in contrast to the vast majority of bloggers. Maybe the poor food fare I was served was merely a fluke. Nonetheless, I’ll pass on trying Kinyei again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank DiceyEye
Chen D, Manager at Kinyei Cafe, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear Dicey Eyes,

I just got your review about Kinyei Café on Trip Advisor and thanks for being honest review about ours service and ours products. I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience here and I am really regretful for serving old banana bread to you and you had to wait quite long time to get your food or your drink. Your review is really useful for us to upgrade our service and our products. I did not know how long banana bread should have been kept for serving people. After I got your review on trip advisor, I tried to find out how long it should be kept, and now we make them daily. Also we will try our best to improve our service.

If you don’t mind I would like to invite you to come back here again and taste it when you have a chance to come back to Battambang. You can even review us again however you think; if it is still bad or better, or we welcome any other comments on our products and services.

Please accept our apology. And I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Chenda
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent Coffee, Nice Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We went for a coffee here after our bike ride with Soksabike. Nice little place with probably the best coffee I had in Cambodia, definitely worth a visit

• Visited July 2014
“Overpriced and average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We came here to excited to try this place after reading all the great reviews. It was a total let down! The food was overpriced and we had to order 2 breakfast items each to get enough food (a first for us after traveling for a year) because the portions were so small. The shakes had way too much milk and hardly any fruit. The toasty was the best thing we ordered but again not enough unless it's just a snack. The yogurt with fruit and muesli came with so little muesli that I had to request more. Their homemade peanut butter was good and a treat.

We walked away bummed to have spent so much money here. The market has much better food, nicer people, and way better prices. Unless you need coffee and a snack this place isn't worth visiting.

Austin, Texas
“Nice quiet spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

A great little spot to duck in and miss the rainstorm. The baristas are super friendly and the coffee is excellent.

Visited July 2014