“Wonderful time on the river!”

Battambang, Cambodia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful time on the river!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I am really glad I got to float down the Sangker river with Green Orange. All the other reviews make good points - the kayak trip helps support a great community organization stay self-sustaining...take lots of water, check your back brace!

I would add that I opted for a guide...and took my own kayak. It was nice to have a local guide to answer random questions I had about Cambodia, to explain the local agricultural practices and customs as we floated by villages and boats and kids playing in the water. It was a small added cost and made the experience much more of a dialog and a social experience. I would be sure not to miss this on your trip to Cambodia!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Dastillman

Battambang
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Green Orange Kayaks - Local & sustainable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you are in Battambang, taking a trip down the Sangker River with Green Orange Kayaks is a great way to experience the country side from a different perspective. Green Orange Kayaks is a local, sustainable business run by the Friends Economic Development Association (FEDA) in Ksach Poy village (about 7km) from Battambang on the road to Wat Banan. The trip starts at Ksach Poy, where I met Sokha from Green Orange Kayaks as planned at 7:30am and gives a great opportunity to see Cambodian life along the river banks. The trip takes you through small farms and terraced vegetable gardens, traditional fishing techniques, then through the riverside village of Slarkram with a large Cham community and small fishing boats. Along the way there are plenty of opportunities to chat with local people going about their daily business, including a group of young children who swam out and spent about 10 minutes talking with me and taking the opportunity to practice their backflips into the water from the kayak (they were very careful not to tip the kayak though!) The journey ended in Battambang across from the central markets where I was met by Sokha about 10am. A thoroughly enjoyable experience on a slow downstream current (the river is quite low at this time of year) and the early morning start avoided the heat of the day. It also supports a local small business initiative so it was also a good opportunity to give something back while having fun! I cheerfully recommend this trip.

Visited April 2012
6 Thank Cambodia_Journey
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Important, check back brace straps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

before you leave the dock. Both of mine broke and my back now feels like I'm 100 years old. Still a wonderful experience! And don't forget to bring lots of water.

3 Thank travelbob987
Sunnyvale, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Taking a kayak down the Sangker river was a highlight of our trip to Cambodia. We got to see how people live along the riverbanks. Kids waved and said friendly hellos as we paddled by. We saw lots of people fishing, young kids rowing boats, people bathing, and kids jumping into the river for fun. We even saw traditional irrigation methods used for watering crops (a man with twin watering cans filled up in the river). Paddling took a little work, since there was not much of a current in the river, but the sights made the effort well worth it.

5 Thank Sarah A
Budapest, Hungary
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“We love tours like this”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were impressed by the school here and the tour provided a closest look to the life of Cambodian. The water was quiet and very sunny but it was a tour of hearts! Love it!

2 Thank Marcus_Me