“Different is good”

Green Orange Kayaks
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I think the best thing about this is that it's different. How many places can you go which offer a kayak tour for a really good price? The guys are quick to respond to emails and phone calls. You don't have to make a reservation far in advance (I did mine the night before). You do however have to get transport to the beginning spot. I paid $2.50 for a moto driver and a tuk tuk driver gave me a quote of $5, but that was a bit negotiable. (Your destination isn't a populated area where they would have luck of bringing someone into town.)

I went on Sunday, and all along the journey there were "fishermen" out catching fish in various stages. Along with them, there were also lots of children along the shore or people bathing in the water. If you can't be bothered to learn 'hello' in Khmer, you'll miss out on some fun and smiles! I have a bad back and bad knees, but I was on the water for 2.5 hours and the kayak didn't bother either of my problems. :)

They offer to provide life jacket and they'll also give you a waterproof duffel bag to put your stuff into. (But beware that it gets hot with the sun out, so don't put any food or meltables in there.)

The only suggestion to renters is to make sure that your oar's padding and washer is in order before you set out, otherwise you may get dripped upon constantly.

1  Thank travelinhobo_10

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I'd recommend doing this if you have time and the weather is not too hot.

It was good fun kayaking down the river, seeing people do their normal stuff, children waving and yelling hellos.

The staff are really lovely and helpful. It is a little pricey for Cambodia but the money goes to the community.

The only sad thing was the amount of plastic pollution you see along the river. It's just everywhere.

Do put lots of sunscreen, take a hat and bottle of water. If possible do it earlier in the day when it's not too hot.

2  Thank the_wandering_cow
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This was so wonderful! We took a tuktuk from the centre to the green orange kayak centre (after a bit of hassling we paid 3$), and found two great and enthusiastic guys there. We got set in the kayak, they gave us some water for on the way and a map and there we went! It was very relaxed to paddle for a bit and look around. After 2 hours we arrived and were picked up by the guys and their pick up. They even offered to drop us of at our hotel!
For 2x 12$ we had a wonderful morning! Thanks!

1  Thank Lieke R
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

We had great fun kayaking down the river. Your money goes to supporting this local NGO run school, and the staff were great at explaining the project to us. No need for a guide - it's just a straight line - you can't get lost! I found it hard to get hold of their contact details so here they are: fedcambodia@gmail.com www.fedcambodia.org 017736166
Well worth doing instead of the long and uncomfortable boat ride to Siem Reap - means you can get the bus without missing out on the river scenery!

4  Thank clarkerosie83
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Kayaking down the river was lovely, the views of little villages and watching everyday people who live around the river going about their everyday lives was lovely. Beautiful surroundings and the river was peaceful and quiet.
You start near the Green Orange restaurant and end up in the centre of Battambang town.
The trip is quite long (normally takes 2 and a half hours but we did it in 2), and can get quite hot.
I thought that the cost was too high- we paid $24 for renting one two-seater kayak, and oars and life jackets and had no guide with us, so I don't see how it can be so high - dinner costs us less than that every night here!
Also we didn't realise until we had set off and were alone on the river, but the kayak had NO back support- even there was a hole where one should have been- both of us had very bad backs by the end.
A nice activity but make sure to ask and check back supports.

6  Thank LizzieG665