“Lies only get you so far”

The Coconut House Hotel , Healthy Food Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 46 Battambang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2013

A few weeks back before arriving in Battambang, I emailed this place and asked how much a room + kitchen was for the month since they have monthly rates. "Peter" replied a price of $200. When I arrived in town, I went to look at the place. The 2 employees were nice and friendly, but spoke minimal English. No problem. The woman took me upstairs to see a room which was empty but had yet to be cleaned (who knows how long it had been sitting like that). It had an oversized bedroom and separate kitchen area with stove and dishes and refrig. When I asked how much it was, she said she didn't know and she'd have to talk with the owner.

I waited and then the owner came. Same guy as in the humungous picture he has of himself hanging in the lobby area (how scary can egos get in the world). When I told him I was just looking for a confirmation on the price of the kitchenette, his first question was, "Why are you here? Are you working or volunteering with an NGO?" I didn't catch on until it was too late, but when I replied that it was for work, the price quoted was $260/mth. I told him that an email I'd recieved had stated $200. (His exact email had stated, "for kitchen room, we charge $200 for fan.") He claimed that was for the small kitchenette, but it was taken and he didn't know when I'd be able to see it. He said he could let me use the bedroom on the top floor which had access to an outside kitchen area for $200 and he showed me the area. No refrig, no stove (he said he could install one) and open to bugs and such as well as possibly being used by others. The fan room was hot as blazes due to the sun and the bathroom was seperate and not that great.

If the guy really has 2 sized kitchenettes, then why didn't he quote me 2 prices in the email? Why didn't he state which one was for $200? If a business owner wants to charge less to someone because they're in a voluntary situation, fine. Then just state as much. But don't go lying after the fact. I wouldn't trust this guy with my dog. But if you must, then tell him you're there for voluntary purposes.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
The Coconut H, Owner at The Coconut House Hotel , Healthy Food Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

The above the price bec you asking for the cheap price our price quoted for kitchen anywhere from 200-260$ per month. You may confuse from yourself , the money is the not the problem for me as the owner the problem is or standard price . Most of our clients know the coconut house , clean , friendly and care about , this is the individual attitudes . Peter

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. It's a bit out of the main center but the tuktuk is only $2. The rooms are big and very clean. We even had a bathtub which is a rarity here. They cleaned our room everyday and we were given two free bottles of water.

The staff don't speak much English but if your jut looking for an easy place to stay then I'd definitely recommend here

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

You get a tv, aircon and hot water for $13/night, it's a bargain. It is about 2-3km from town centre and down the escort street but just take a tuktuk back at night. People who run it have very limited English and food you order is picked up takeaways and then presented on a plate but that's ok.
Cheap clean place to stay

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My expectations were quite high given the reviews here. While the guesthouse didn't quite reach them it was still a nice place to stay. We stayed over Khmer New Year, a big holiday in Cambodia, so perhaps we didn't get quite the same service as others previously. However, at $12 for air con, hot water, a big room and a comfy bed, I have no complaints.

It's quite far out of the city and away from restaurants etc but it does mean that it's lovely and quiet. We managed to borrow bikes for the three days that we stayed which was great. However, I'm not sure they have very many available as we only ever saw three so if that's a deal breaker for you, better check first. It's about a ten minute leisurely cycle into town.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This is a lovely friendly family run small hotel . Its quite new , comfortable and clean . Excellent value too located near the river in a quiet area . The best thing about the hotel is that the staff and owner are very helpful , flexible , hospitable , and friendly . A really delightful place to stay , feel welcome , and make friends .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank paul s
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Very clean spacious and beautiful looking and feeling. Quiet location with easy and enjoyable walk or ride through parks to market or night food stalls. Big protected front yard with patio garden. Free bicycle. Best place I've found so far. Gentle vibe.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank j b
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We are staying here on a permanent bases and it is excellent.Our rooms are large and consist of a bed sitter,kitchen and bathroom.Also have a small balcony.Good security,gate at night locked.Pleasant owner and family.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good,it just depends on what you require.Front rooms are the better ones.