Royal Hotel
Star Hotel(Battambang)(Great Value!)
US$9
US$8
Agoda.com
Lux Guest house(Battambang)(Great Value!)
US$11
US$9
US$71
US$61
Bric-a-Brac(Battambang)
US$93
US$88
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop restaurantthe buscentral markettuk tukhighly recommend hotelair connice rooftop barbudget hotelhotel is in a great locationcheaper roomssiem reapno elevatorbamboo trainthe riverhot waterdeluxe roomfan room
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The Hotel Royal have a good location near the market and the room are really clean and well furnished (table, TV, big bed).

It is an hotel so for backpackers it stays a little bit expensive (7 dollars for a room without hot water and a barely working fan) but i guess if you can take a room more expensive it is probably better. It is also not the best place to meet other backpackers (no common room except the rooftop more expensive than other restaurant in the city)

Howhever, days and nights, tuk tuk drivers are waiting in the lobby and clearly jump on you as soon as you leave your room. Even if they are nice (i took on of them for the tour because I was to lazy to fight with them and find another one) it's really ennoying !

It feels like the manager really want to have his commissions because he was really pushy about me taking a tour the next day even when i said that i wanted to visit the city by myself first.

I also asked for cooking lessons and they tell me they could arrange it for a "cheap" price (10 dollars). The cooking lessons at Nary Kitchen was great but I've met other travellers here and they paid 8 dollars for the same lesson : The Royal Hotel take 2 dollars commission just to book the lesson !!! So I recommand Nary Kitchen but book your lesson yourself (the restaurant is not far from the hotel) if you don't want to overpay it !

And, finally, when i checked out, I realised that the bill was totally wrong : they wanted to charge me for pancakes and other stuff and I never ate in the rooftop restaurant + they charged me for a 10 dollars bus to kampot (i asked for a 4 dollars bus to siem reap...)
I guess it is "just" a mistake but it's the kind of mistake which can make you pays at least 15 dollars more if you are not carefull and prove that the staff is not really professionnal..

The bus was also completly badly organised with a unknow compagny (ticket are from phnom penh sorya but the bus was another compagny) which was 1 hour late.. not the Hotel fault but still if you sell tickets to a compagny your also a little bit responsible of what happend..

To put it in a nutshell : The hotel is good but don't ask them anything else than a room, do the rest by yourself it will be cheaper and probably better

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We chose this hotel because it had good reviews and looked quite comfortable. There was a choice of rooms and we went for a mid-range one (although they all looked fine) and weren't disappointed. The room was really comfortable with a good mattress (always a bonus after weeks of hard lumps!), a TV and lots of space. Although it's not going to win prizes for trendiness, it felt pretty luxurious for the price. The restaurant was fine with a nice view from the rooftop although we only discovered it on the last night so maybe more signage needed (could just have been unobservant though!). I am deducting a point for what others have moaned about and that was the pushiness of the staff to get us to hire a tuk tuk driver. As luck would have it, we were going to anyway, but if we hadn't wanted to this would have really grated on us (and it almost made us not hire one from them!). That said, you do get that a lot in Cambodia. The driver himself was great and not at all pushy on the day trip. The staff were otherwise great and when we left the manager gave us all a free scarf! What a nice surprise!! Probably not the best place if you want to meet lots of fellow travellers (definitely more of a budget hotel than hostel). No excessive noise at night inside or nearby.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Clean and spacious, good room facilites (fridge,wifi A/C), tuk tuk drivers were friendly,knowledgeable and cheap, good value for money. The only negative points were that it is difficult to locate and the free breakfast was limited.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We paid $16 a night (no brekky) for a very spacious twin front room with a little balcony and air con.
The usual wet bathroom was very clean,as was the rest of the room.
Beds were very comfortable, TV with cable (hardly used it) and I think from memory we also had a little bar fridge (not used either). It was ideal for our needs. Bottled water was only supplied on the first day.
The room was quiet at night . Computers are avail in little reception area for a small charge. Front desk people were polite, but were always asking what your plans for the day and the next one were, obviously wanting to get a commission on tours etc. but thats OK.
The only down side was the extra pesty tuk tuk driver who pounced on us on arrival and was VERY persistent with his questioning on our plans every time we wanted to go out...much more so than any other we had encountered on our 3 week Cambodian trip.
As a result, we ended up hiring a tuk tuk driver from the hotel's opposition (Chaya hotel) and found them to be cheaper and more pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I stayed here for three nights. I'd already made it my first choice in Battambang based on guidebook and past reviews, and went with a tuk-tuk driver with a card bearing the name of the hotel. This driver was friendly and spoke very good English, better than the ones I encountered in Siem Reap. The hotel is very central in Battambang, within sight of the central Psar Nath market

The room, for $6 per night, was fan-only and had unheated shower (can't complain for the price, but if you'd like hot shower make sure your room has this before you accept it), however all other respects had the look of a mid-range hotel room. It was spacious, clean and well-furnished.

Check-in was reasonably straightforward. I was given the key on the biggest keyring I've seen in my life! Goodness knows why they're so large. As with the guesthouse I stayed in Siem Reap I guess you're supposed to give it to reception when you go out, but as then I kept it with me and didn't get any hassle over it. Wi-fi worked most of the time, and when it went down I asked at reception if they could reset the router and it worked again 30min later. There were also computers in the lobby area but I never used those.

Payment is at check-out, takes some time because the restaurant bill is paid then as well (rather than at the time you eat like in most places) and the restaurant is four floors up from the reception desk! So, leave a few minutes to check out if you need to be somewhere on time.

Yes as other reviews mentioned there is a degree of salesmanship on the part of the hotel staff. I did go on a tour to the bamboo train and Phnom Samphaey with one, Mr Nahim(?sp) and this was very good. However, I was sold a bus ticket for Phnom Penh as 'VIP bus' for $1 more than standard, and informed that it would arrive in PP at around 1:30pm at the time I bought it. The bus didn't arrive there until well after 3pm and was not a VIP bus by any definition I've ever heard of - it didn't have a toilet and stopped several times. Nothing major, just annoying they aren't entirely honest when selling bus tickets. Having said this, you do get transport from the hotel to the tour bus office included in the price so maybe still worth booking through the hotel if you're staying here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo