“Avoid at all costs”

Santa Barbara Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 La Serena B&B and Inns
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

On arriving at this hotel at 7am after a 16 hour overnight bus journey  we were greeted with the welcome that the hotel was full and we would need to wait until 14.00 to check in to our room. We were not even offered any breakfast. Cold dark and damp rooms.

Along with another couple we were left waiting outside one afternoon for more than 20 minutes, once we were finally allowed in the housekeeper on duty acted as if it was not her problem. Despite the fact it was after 5pm our room still had not been cleaned. The day after I found that my bag had clearly been rummaged through, but thinking nothing had been taken and the fact nobody who could speak english was around I did not mention to the hotel staff. On leaving the hotel a few days later I discovered that I special ring I had bought from Peru had gone missing from it's original packaging. Although I have no proof, after weeks of travelling, Santa Barbara Hotel was the only place where my stuff was visibly interfered with. And days after i found the ring gone.

Equally disappointing was the reaction from the manager a week or later. I notified her not in the hope that the ring would turn up but to alert her to our string suspicions that staff were stealing from guests. She responded by saying that if we had something valuable then we should have put it in the hotel safe!

We would strongly recommend that this hotel is avoided.

• Stayed November 2011

#6 of 37 in La Serena
Jardin del Mar
Jardin del Mar
#3 of 13 in Coquimbo

Been to Santa Barbara Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Santa Barbara Hotel

Property: Santa Barbara Hotel
Address: Hortencia Bustamante 52, La Serena 1711015, Chile
Region: Chile > Coquimbo Region > La Serena
Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Room Service Swimming Pool
Ranked #14 of 37 B&Bs / Inns in La Serena
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:3 star — Santa Barbara Hotel 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Santa Barbara Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.