“Stay away”

Francisco de Aguirre Hotel
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in La Serena
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Not only is this place like something from Soviet-era Russia but it also has the most surly Communist-style staff I have ever experienced as well.

A month after I stayed here I was going over my credit card statement and noticed that instead of US$143 a charge of over $175 had been put on my card by the sleazy management of this prison-like fleabag. I returned to the hotel and they explained to me that the extra charge was the 17% hotel tax. They said that the tax had been put on my card because they had charged me in Chilean pesos (instead of US dollars) and thusly the hotel tax was mandatory. Why they charged me in pesos rather than dollars remains a mystery. Long story short they would not refund the 17% because I could not present the receipt. The surly woman at the reception desk became even surlier and said she would not talk with me any further about the situation because I had "disrespected" her.

There are lots of nice hotels in the La Serena area. This is not one of them.

Room Tip: To get a good room at this hotel is not possible. Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gLoBe-HoPpErMaN

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Booked last minute so this was one of the only rooms I could find in town (during a national holiday). Rooms were fairly clean and provided the basics. Elevator and internet were out of order while I was there, not sure if this is normal course. Okay place for a basic stay.

1  Thank LoneRngr
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I've stayed here several times as well as hotels at the beach. I prefer to stay here because it's in-town, reasonable walk to La Recova (market area) as well as the down town shops. This is an older hotel so if you are looking for updated/modern, you might try the beach area. It's clean and the staff are always helpful. I like to get the suite which has a large sitting area and desk work area since I am on business when traveling here. They have a good breakfast. Wifi can be a bit sketchy. Secure parking is available underneath the hotel.

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review, request the suite for not much more money, especially if traveling with y...
1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Was at the hotel for a night. Internet service from the room was weak and poor. The bathroom is great and the room wasn't bad. NO tour service for La Serena though.

1  Thank Spillhate
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel was In great condition. Evidently the construction that others complained about has been completed. The hotel staff was very amiable, but I did not understand why I could not check in before 3 pm even though rooms were available. Like in much of Chile, the wifi connections were weak, but worked well in the lobby. Without a doubt, the pictures that I took of the condors on top of the church across the street was a moment that MasterCard would find priceless.

La Serena was interesting and the central market was a short walk from the hotel. Try one of the restaurants in La Recova, the central shopping center, in the center of town. Your decision on which restaurant to choose should largely depend on the weather and the time of the year. In May, the southern restaurants are cooler and the northern restaurants are warmer.

I walked the more than a mile to the faro, the light house, but I stopped at a beachside hotel and asked them to call me a collective taxi to take back. In general, and with normal precautions, you should be able to feel safe here.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EstebanRM
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Probably ok for business and conferences. Far from homely and nice. Overpriced and a bit run down.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed for two nights and used it as a base for la Serena - Coquimbo. Great location near the plaza de armas and the centre of la Serena. Across from the park and near all transportation. We took advantage of the free underground parking.

The rooms were adequate and the bathroom was renovated even in our ¨Normal¨room. Each room has a safe and a bar fridge - not necessarily a guarantee in Chile. We enjoyed the pool which is in a courtyard and surrounded by hibiscus - very refreshing on a hot day. The morning buffet was adequate - nothing special but good enough.

The service was underwhelming. This seems to be a constant theme in Chilean hotels and retaurants in my experience. The front desk could provide no information about restaurants or transit and provided a poorly photocopied map of downtown la Serena. And don´t even try to call the front desk from your room as they won´t answer it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple