“Superb fun. great service, fantastic location”
Review of Portillo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portillo
Portillo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portillo
Mexico City
“Superb fun. great service, fantastic location”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

What a fantastic experience. The hotel is nice, like a club, with happy employees who clearly enjoy working there and like helping you out. I felt like part of the family in a couple of days. Ski instructors are world class and come from all over the world. Hotel is all included (except drinks) and you eat in a common dining room, which is very pleasant with good food and good service and a decent choice of items to eat. Rooms are pretty basic, not TV's intentonally as there is very good Wi Fi. Fantastic pool and hot tub area, Tio Bob's ski in on top of the mountain for lunch is a terrific experience. I fully recommend it. Surprising good mix of visitors from Brazil (you hear a lot of Portuguese) and US (many), as well many Chileans and Argentines. I met only one other family from Mexico, and they also were having a great time. Staff do well on covering Spanish, Portuguese and English. Lovely lake view terrace off dining room.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the lake will have you staring out the window for hours - it is so lovely. Th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The resort itself is well set up however the attitude towards adults travelling without children is appalling. The entire month of July is family 'week' however this is not advertised or advised when booking in advance. So watch out and get ready for an experience!
Although the hotel is happy to accept you as a full paying guest, they will treat you to sub standard service and children run riot through the place day and night.
If you travelling without kids, you will have to wait until 945pm to sit down for dinner - at which point the children will emerge from the dining room to take over the lounge and bar areas.
The food is hit and miss. Much of it very oily which is not ideal when eating late in the day. By the time you do eat, you will often find that menu items are no longer available however if you want to order something off the menu, you will be charged extra.
The children outnumber adults and there is not one part of the hotel that is adult only. If you are waiting the very long wait for your 10pm dinner, you will find that rude children will be climbing all over the couches or just generally running a muck.
It's interesting to note that there are only restrictions on what adults (paying hefty fees) are allowed to do while the kids go crazy and crawl over everything including you. The staff will also tell you that you are not a priority - so it is a 'like it or lump it' mentality as there are no other options for guests.
It is a shame because it could be a wonderful holiday destination. Instead you may spend a significant portion of your holiday feeling ripped off.

• Stayed July 2012
9 Thank Gclare79
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Skiing in South America: Portillo has one great part about it: community. It does really feel like cruise ship/ski lodge. I went with my sister and we had a blast. NOTE: we were both 20 somethings and for us it was very expensive, I lived in Chile for a year and wanted to ski in the Andes, I heard that Portillo was the best. I didn't go anywhere else, because the experience is a week long. We stayed in the "Hostal" part, which is not actually in the hotel and was a 6 ft x 20 ft room with two bunk beds and a small area for your luggage/things. It was VERY small, for 4 people, I paid the extra for just us two to stay as my sister came with me. It was really fun for us and we met a lot of people our age and had a great time.

The Service was excellent, we lost our luggage on the way there, they find you at the airport and bring you up(if you pay for this service). The luggage was brought up in 2 days(no skis/snowboards). The ski instructors are from all over the world, as winter in the southern hemisphere is the Northern's summer. The ski instructors and staff were very inviting.

The food is something to be lacking(in the cafeteria/taste wise), but that was case with me in all of Chile. I could have been full all day if I ate every meal. You could pay for a restaurant dinners, but we decided to eat at the cafe every night, except one, we stayed at the bar and paid for sushi, which was delicious.

Skiing: it is nothing like North America(Rockies). I live in Chicago and there are no mountains. There are no lift lines, not compared to Colorado, but for intermediate skiers/snowboarders there are only a few runs that were available to us. That being said, it apparently didn't snow that much that year and most of what you could do was rock(in July)... So skiing the same 6 runs isn't my kind of fun. Where the pullman lifts were, were too steep for us snowboarders, and I can do blue blacks in Colorado.

Night Life: Note: we like to party, bring your own booze if you can, it is like a cruise and you overpay for everything. The bars are kinda fun, there are two inside the hotel, one with live music and the other was a disco for dancing. However, the real party is at the employee bar(La Pasada), someone should be able to direct you there and the cost is cut in half, in cash using Chilean pesos.

Hotel: You could get haircuts, there was a play area with pool and table tennis(mostly full of kids). I lifted at the weight area when we didn't have our snowboards, it was nice. Free espresso shots in the lounge at night. There was a movie theater, never went. The Pool/jacuzzi area had the best view of all, especially during the sunset.

En Fin:
I wouldn't return to ski at Portillo, and it is more of a family environment. But I would go once for the experience and the sights are breathtaking.

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. I met some Chileans that had an entire lodge for themselves and we partied...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank matt m
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Its not skiing in the northern hemisphere, it's entirely different. No lift lines, but the lifts to the good runs are not a time to rest because you have to pay attention and hold on. The snow is great and the people all get to know each other and were fun. It's an amazing experience to be at the hotel and ski along side the Austrian ski team (who was there when we were...but I hear there's always an Olympic team training here). We never got bored, we took our 1.5 yr old who got sick in day care...it could happen anywhere, but despite being sick, he had a great time. The runs are pretty nice, but don't expect northern hemisphere runs because they are not. I would stay in the hotel or the lodge (we stayed in the hotel) despite the fairly expensive cost. Definitely stay the whole week like everyone else.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank johnnymalakas
Greenwich
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I have been like 10 times to Portillo. So... I have been through many different conditions. I love the place. It is now expensive in dollar terms due to the weak US dollar for the best rooms. However... el Inca Lodge (really a hostel) costs USD 100 per night all included (except alcoholic drinks). This is just basic basic lodging. The place has a pool outside that is kept warm all winter, a disco, a bar, a small cinema, a basketball court. My advise regarding Portillo... wait for the season to start and check the amount of snow. Best time to go is early September when it is now clear the amount of snow. Just forget about going in early July: it hardly ever works. The octogon has intermediate pricing and the actual hotel higher end. There is TV in the few chalets that are available... those work well for a group of people. I think you need 6 for the smaller one to make it worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luis R
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Transportation to the resort:
Getting to Portillo seems to vary by people. This is our 2nd time to Chile and like the last time we flew into Santiago and spent a night in Santiago to recoup from our flight. Next day we took the ski total bus to the resorts. We do this because flight from Atlanta doesn't land until close to 9am and the ski total bus that we take for about $40 USD per person round trip leaves around 8am from Santiago- by the time we get our luggage and get to the ski total bus stop, the bus would have left anyways. Although I think leaving time may depend on how many people are on the bus since last year our bus left promptly at 8am and this time we didn't leave until past 9:30am. We heard from others that taking a private cab from the airport is around $200 USD each way. If anyone has other transportation methods, I would love to know. We also used the extra day this time to load up on wine, water, and snacks from the local grocery store since these items are fairly expensive at the resorts.

Ski Terrain:
If you love Alta you will love Portillo. Lots of fun terrains and places where pro skiers and locals hike up and ski. Ask one of the staff about the super C! You can also go heli skiing in Portillo which is a fun addition to the trip.

Hotel:
We stayed at the Hotel Portllo(there are other lodging options as well) and pleased with the accommodations. There is alot of history at the hotel and definitely captures an old ski lodge feel. Overall there are plenty to do including skiing swimming, hot tub, fitness, game room, indoor gym, disco tech, bars and internet room with a small library. However, be aware that there is no TV in the rooms at Hotel Portillo. There is wireless in every room but it can be choppy and limited certain times of the day. There is also a clinic here with 2 full time doctors and 2 full time nurses which is nice to know.

Room:
I admit, this is by no means the Ritz or the W but the room is fairly large and the closet is spacious. We stayed on the 6th floor and at times it can be a pain to wait for the elevators, the balcony makes up for the wait. You can also get family rooms which has adjacent rooms for parents and children. There is options for a suite and private house rentals as well.

Staff and overall Service:
I absolutely fell in love with the staff. This hotel is privately owned by the Purcell family and it seems like the staff here actually stay here for many seasons. From the activities guide to the wait staff all remembers the guests and treats you like they've known you for a long time. When they see you, they actually say hello and know your name. :) They remember little things as to what I like (i.e. I prefer certain things with my meals and every meal there was whole wheat bread with my decaf coffee and tobasco sauce ready for me at the table). Mr. Purcell(the owner of this resort is always visible and happy to talk with his guests. You can buy a book on Portillo Hotel and he will even sign the book for you which is a nice treat.

Food:
We got 4 meals a day(breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner) and the it was fantastic. We are pretty big eaters and felt like we were constantly being fed. One of the previous review talks about dining room being hot....I am not sure where they got that from....and unlike Valle Nevado water is included and there was always a carafe of water at our table....We got juice every breakfast as well. You can order a la carte but there are so many choices from the daily menu it's almost hard not to want to try what the chef offers for the day. Remember, this is like the old fashioned ski resort so everyone eats in the dining room at a certain time. No worries they feed you constantly here and you will never be hungry!

Compare to Valle Nevado and Termas de Chillan:
Well, each place offers different things I think. Valle Nevado is a newer hotel with more modern feel but the staff and the service varied because they have heavy turn over every year. The fact that only 2 meals were included at Valle Nevado was definitely a minus for me. Lunch, drinks, snacks were pricey. No water anywhere aside from option to buy was also a double negative. Portillo is great for those people who have families and/or like children because this resort is a family friendly place and you will run into many many children everywhere! so if you are looking for a quite adult only place, Portillo is not the place for you. Termas de Chillan-great place for couples or people who like higher end resorts. They do offer various options for entertainment such as the casino, spa and pool service but again, only 2 meals a day is a minus.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Chrisyeajin
atlanta
Reviewed 12 September 2011

dining room service, spotty at best. the ski guys are great the resort itself is missing the boat on several areas,(except the cruise ship feel) and they do try and" nickel and dime" you for things(for instance bacon at breakfast costs extra?? etc. etc. ) $ 3000 u.s a piece for the week should cover ALL the food!!! but all being said you're there for the skiing and it was awesome . if there is no fresh snow it would get a little boring but all in all we had a really good time. getting out atlanta where the temp was 95 and skiing in august was great!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jandatlanta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portillo
Ayelen Hotel de Montana
#1 of 1 in Portillo
Andes Vive Lodge
Andes Vive Lodge
#2 of 13 in Farellones

Been to Portillo Hotel? Share your experiences!