“A good low-budget choice”

Backpackers San Pedro Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“A good low-budget choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Backpackers with a friend for 5 days and it was totally fine. Good safety with a 24 hour receptionist and door always locked. 10 min walk to town is safe but you want to be at least 2 at night with a torch as there are some hidden ditches.

Showers are fine - hot water usually but this is a San Pedro problem, not specific to the hostel and from what I've heard we had better than most.

A few cats around so if you are allergic take note. Clean linen and rooms and kitchen well stocked. Also a great fire lit every evening which really helps in the cold nights!

Would recommend for young backpackers on a budget. Just don't take the hostel's tours as they are really overpriced. They'll also let you chill in the hammocks after check out until you leave which is nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend in February for a few nights, we were in a small, cramped four bed dorm.

Some of the things that I disliked about the hostel were:

The number of flies that bothered you during the day and early evenings.

The hostel had a ban on bringing alcohol into the property, no justification was given for this, although presumably it was to force us to buy drinks from their bar.

The hostel bar was raided and shut down by the Carabineros (The Chilean Police) one night during our stay, we witnessed the aftermath of huge raid and it appeared like the hostel didn't have a licence to serve alcohol. We were given no information after the raid by the hostel, they simply glossed over the issue and didn't serve any drinks for the duration of our stay.

The water pressure was very poor and there was little or no hot water, even at times when the other guests were not using the showers. This was not a very pleasant experience.

The hostel offers tours and excursions - at a price. We booked onto one tour with them and met others from different hostels on the tour, upon talking to them, we realised that we had been sold the tour at a vastly inflated price. I'd recommend going into the town centre to book tours as you can negotiate and get a much better deal.

The hostel left it's main door unlocked at night to allow tours to come and go, especially the geyser tour which leaves around 4-5am. This doesn't seem very safe to me.

There were rocks on top of the plastic sheeting used as a roof in some parts of the hostel and we witnessed a large rock fall from the roof onto a walkway used by all at the hostel during a windy afternoon, I alerted the staff who didn't seem bothered by this. Naturally it is very dangerous when parts of the roof are falling onto the walkways used by guests and staff and could cause a very serious injury if a rock were to hit someone.

Finally we had a lot of food stolen from the fridge, which although not the direct fault of the hostel still reduced my experience at the hostel.

The one aspect that stopped me giving the hostel a one star rating is the day staff are very friendly and helpful, nevertheless I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank thewithers1

Travellers are raving about these San Pedro de Atacama hotels

Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here in March after finishing the Solar de Uyuni tour. I was only here for one night but all the staff was very helpful with anything we needed. It's a little off the beaten path from the center - about a ten minute walk. Prices were reasonable and they have hammocks to relax in as well as a nice fire every night. It's also located very close to the open desert which is great for star gazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Pokhara, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a wonderful stay. It's a great space and the moment we arrived we were given a comprehensive tour and made to feel at home. The beds were really comfortable in the shared dorm and the shower was hot and had great pressure. The hostel is a 5 minute walk from town which is actually quite nice because you aren't in the busy center. We definitely have to recommend ear plugs though if you want to sleep before 11 or so because it can get a bit noisy at night if your room is near the common area or your roommate shouts in his sleep as ours did. The only problem was that we had our food stolen twice from the kitchen even though it was labeled with our names, so hide your food deep in the fridge or in your room! It's a comfortable, social space, so if you want to meet people this is the perfect place to so it. Definitely one of the best places to stay in San Pedro, highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

This hostel was uncomfortable for a few reasons. The girl on reception wasn't friendly and she was also singing along to some of the music being played that had derogatory statements about 'gringos', kind of awkward for us. The bed in the double room was terrible, the springs jammed into your back. There were lots of cats at the hostel. I love cats but they were going to the bathroom everywhere so it was pretty stinky. They played music at the hostel which is sweet however this would start at about 10am and continue through to 11pm. It was pretty loud, which took away from the desert vibe. The one good thing I can say is that the cleaners were very vigilant and thoughtful.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy-Bee270
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I spent three nights at this hostel and I must say that I was pleased with it. I didn't spend much time there as I was mostly enjoying the Atacama desert but I think the hostel was overall ok - clean with a nice bar and hammocks. I really liked their curfew policy of silence at midnight - that's pretty good if you have to get up at 3 am for a tour the next day! However, I disliked the fact that there was no water around that time in the morning which meant I had to use my water bottle to wash my face and brush my teeth. However, I don't want to be too fussy about it because it's a hostel in the desert after all. I would recommend that they turn the water on for 30 - 60 min around 3 am to give the tourist who get ready for the early morning tour the chance to wash at least a bit.... or at least have some buckets with water ready to wash hands/brush teeth.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Common areas are oke and the bar is nice. However the 4bed dorm we stayed in was too small for 4 people. Our backpack could not stand anywhere...only in front of the door. We had to change in the shower or kitchen as there was no space in the room. No idea how they managed to get 2 bunkbed in there. The bed itself was however good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple