“Loved the Altiplanico”

Altiplanico Atacama
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here for three nights, and really enjoyed the ambiance of an adobe hotel.

The thing that most impressed my wife and I however was the friendliness and the willingness of staff to go out of thier way to help.

From helping us do an on line check in (in Spanish), arranging an early breakfast when we had to leave early to take to a tour, to calling LAN to confirm our seats, to arranging a taxi at a very good rate to go to the Tebinquinche lagoon, to chasing up the bus company when they were a little late to pick us up for the transfer to Calama.

The staff in th restaurant were equally helpful and friendly.

Loved the outdoor shower though didn't use it for that purpose it was too cold late April; but I used that area for some astroimaging with a camera tracking mount.

Little outdoor area to sit around admire the view of the volcano and sink a beer or two after a hot day in the desert.

It's a little far from town, and you really need a torch-flashlight-after dark, but felt quite safe. A 10 , maybe 15 minute walk

Tours and the bus to Calama will pick you up and drop you at the hotel.

The area is really dark so it's possible to get some decent nightscapes with a digital SLR camera.
Wifi works well, plenty of hot water, rooms clean, housekeeping of a high standard.

Don't know if I ever will go back to SDP, but if I ever did I'd certainly stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seeker372011
There are newer reviews for Altiplanico Atacama

Reviewed 30 April 2014

There are better hotels in San Pedro, the service could be a little bit better, but for the cost, this one is a reasonable one in San Pedro. The rooms are cozy and have special decorations from local arts. there is a swimming pool that looks awesome, but it's so cold you can hardly get inside ( maybe during summer time). To get to downtown of San Pedro you must take a short walk of about 10 minutes, sometimes it gets anoying since the days are hot and the sun is on your head, and the nights are chilly. One thing thar bottered me while there, I stayed for 5 nights, and asked if it would be possible to have a "semi-late" check out - regular check out is at noon, and I asked to leave the room by 2 pm, even offered to pay extra. They just said it wasn't possible and that the rroms where not available. I had to pack one day early, they took the baggages out of my rooms and when I got back from a tour at 1:30 pm had to take a shower in somewhat a "comunitty"shower they offer for guests. And I noticed the rooms, even the one I was staying were empty. I felt like there was a lack of interest in pleasing , in trying better. It s pitty, but I don t recommend it, wont stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ALEKLABU
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed for three nights, to hike and tour the great desert area. Would have gone there just to go on a start-gazing tour, but I ended up doing two other tours as well. The hotel had a rustic feel, very quiet and very quaint, but with all the amenities a traveler needs. Short 8-minute walk to the center of the village, I was there three nights and never took a taxi, it was more fun to walk everywhere.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow all by itself, I think they cost about the same and you are completely by yourself.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 4boobs
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Coming to the Atacama Desert from Patagonia is a shock in more ways than one, and the nature of the hotels is not least among them. Down south the hotels tend to have big windows to let you enjoy the huge views. The views may be just as huge up here in the driest place on earth, but the sun is hot and the dust blows about a bit, so the tendency is to have smaller windows and rather dim interiors.

The Altiplanico conforms to this stereotype, and to other Atacameno hotel types as well - the single-storey adobe buildings, the polished wood and folksy décor. The rooms are all bungalow style, and not terribly well lit, but this is only likely to be a drawback if you contemplate spending hours in them. (Is that why you've come to the Atacama - to sit in your hotel room?) The bathrooms are modest. Still, on balance the rooms are comfortable, and there is a pleasing sense of novelty about them. Breakfasts are average. Beware of the jug of liquid that looks like apple juice - it is no such thing. If I had to take a bet I'd say it was cold coca tea.

It is fifteen minutes walk to the centre of San Pedro, ten if you take it at the gallop. The first part of the walk is a bit scrubby; you're clearly on the edge of the town, and the lighting is sporadic. We walked back after dark twice, however, and there was no sense of threat, no dodgy-looking characters hanging around.

There is a small pool, which is fine for lolling by after a hard morning at the geysers or on the salt flats. For that sense of comfort in the middle of a brutal landscape I reckon the Altiplanico just about makes it to four stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed three nights here and wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel has individual adobe rooms well spaced out and beautifully built and decorated. It Is all well maintained and the refreshing pool is perfect after a hot dusty day of sight seeing. The gardens with much indigenous planting are beautiful and have lots of inviting corners for relaxing, including one for star gazing.

The staff were helpful and friendly, especially the front desk.

The only thing that bothered us was the very low level of lighting in the rooms, no hope at all of reading in bed and the bathrooms seemed to have bizarre priorities, too dark to shave said my brother, while another of us felt spotlit while on the loo.... The bathrooms were well appointed and spotlessly clean and the decor was individual and local. No robes or chocolates but this is the desert not a city centre hotel! On that subject, it is the country so light sleepers might need earplugs for the barking dogs (everywhere in Chile) and cock crowing at dawn, didn't bother us though.

The restaurant was ok, not grand cuisine or atmospheric, with huge servings be warned, and a limited wine list. Better to eat out in the evenings. Packed lunches available. Breakfasts were good, delicious fresh fruit and good scrambled eggs, plus decent bread and amazing looking cakes.

Would go back in a flash.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cmfc
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was a wonderful hotel, beautifully landscaped with lots of pretty details and it offered a relaxing and tranquil place to return to after days exploring the many attractions in the area.

Our room was spacious and comfortable and I particularly enjoyed the little outside terrace and outside shower. Although joined together, each room had a separate entrance from the footpath and they were arranged to give a feeling of seclusion and privacy to each room. Our room did not get too hot whilst we were there (mid February).

The outdoor seating areas were plentiful and all attractive and welcoming. We also enjoyed the pool, which was quite cool but very pleasant and we enjoyed our last morning relaxing here before our transfer back to Santiago.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and contributed to the welcoming atmosphere.

The hotel is a short walk from town but we did not find this a problem and we enjoyed the peaceful location.

I really loved staying here.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jane f
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 days with a large group. Beautiful grounds, well maintained. Lovely pool and lots of delightful outdoor seating areas. Very near to the town. Room was rustic, but lovely and totally in keeping with the desert in which it is situated. My room had an outdoor shower which proved wonderful for stargazing. I also had a veranda with seating to the rear. Rooms and bathrooms are spacious and there is wifi all around. Staff are helpful and breakfast is good. Definitely an excellent choice. I found it to be luxurious and relaxing with fantastic grounds.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends