If you love wines and want to visit wineries in the Conchagua Valley area Terra Viña, with its great location, is an excellent choice. The owners make all the difference as other mid-priced hotels/motels in the area may not have their owners operating the premises every day. Positive aspects of this hotel/motel/B&B include:
1) It is surrounded by a vineyard through which you walk when you want to go to the Laura Hartwig Winery or the Vino Bello restaurant. (Sidenote: Both are excellent choices whether to finish a day of winery tours with a great meal, or start a day with a quick visit to the winery.)
2) The owners are extremely helpful whether you need reservations or directions to the many wineries and restaurants in the area.
3) The owners also are experienced enough to spot potential issues before they arise. In our case our stayed overlapped with a large group that took ~80% of the rooms for a one-day celebration. From the first day we checked in we were assigned to a remote room so we could be far away from the large group that was to arrive the next day. In addition we and a few others who were not part of the large group were offered breakfast away from the main breakfast area so we could enjoy a more pleasant atmosphere. It is clear the owners had thought about how to keep the group and the other guests from disturbing each other and ruining each others' experience.
4) Water in the shower is extremely hot, for those who like that, and a a hair dryer is also included.
5) The room and bathroom were extremely clean. Although the tiles in the bathroom are older and have seen some wear, they are clean.
6) The room had one power adapter to convert our USA plug into a Chilean plug. This is not a power converter, just an adapter, but our computer "power brick" was able to handle Chile's 240 voltage so that is all we really needed.
Please keep in mind this is a mid-price hotel/B&B, so there are some quirks. Given the positives of the hotel none of its quirks would make me change our selection to another hotel if we returned to Colchague, but I realize other travelers might think differently. Some of the quirks include:
7) There are no air conditioners in the rooms. This was not an issue for us as we cooled our room, which was ~75F (24C) when we arrived, by opening the balcony doors and the front door for a few minutes and letting the ~55F (13C) cross breeze do the job for us.
8) The ceiling fan is a little old so it has a hum to it. This actually turned to be a blessing as explained in my next point.
9) Terra Viña is surrounded by a vineyard so you should expect noisy birds and sometimes dogs barking the distance. The rooms are not impervious to the outside sounds, although given the cement walls they seem soundproof to each other. If you are a light sleeper bring a sound machine or ear plugs.
10) Our room was sparsely decorated but practical.
11) The woodwork and finishes in the room are all hand made by a carpenter. They are focused on functionality, not necessarily perfect finishes.
To summarize, the experience was wonderful and the owners were very helpful, but this is a mid-market hotel/B&B and, just like a good mid-market wine, one is getting a good value for the price and should not be looking for all the complex elements in a top-tier wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With the Andes Mountains as background Hotel TerraVina is located in the middle of a vineyard in the beautiful wine valley of Colchagua just 2 hours south of Santiago. All the tastefully decorated rooms have oak floors, colonial style tiles in the bathroom, central heating, safe boxes and great big beds with Scandinavian duvets. Count on a hearty breakfast and personal service from the owners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Hotel TerraVina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel TerraVina Chile/Santa Cruz