“huangshan-a must for every mountain lover” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 81 things to do in Huangshan
Malaysia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“huangshan-a must for every mountain lover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Huangshan, a must for every mountain lover. We put up two nights at the peak, first night at Xihai Hotel (best location), and second night at Baiyun Hotel (full of regrets). We took the cable car from Yungusi station and reached the White Goose Hill. From there, it was a stroll to Beginning-to-believe peak. Scenery was captivating. Then, we arrived at Beihai area, soothing wind (cool) and various forms of rocks/hills/peaks. We reached Xihai Hotel at 1 pm. After lunch, the weather changed, heavy mist/fog, drizzling and cold wind. The rain stopped at 4 pm. Xihai Grand canyon was closed to visitors due to snow (first week of March). We hiked up to Paiyunting, magnificient view. The next morning, the sun was blocked by heavy mist, so, no sunrise. We trekked up to the north entrance, splendid views. Only to be scared by a group of Huangshan short tail macaques, the size doubled our Malaysian species. Next, we moved to tianhai area, and put up at Baiyun Hotel. The place was crowded with domestic tourists, loud-speaking guides with amplified speakers. The worst part was they smoke and spat as they wished. A word of advice, skip Tianhai area, nothing in Guangmingding. The consolation prize was the south entrance, where you walked to the fairy walking bridge. This route was worth all the pains and sweats. Less crowd, no guides, no smoke, no spat. The third day, we used the Chixiangge cable acr, passing through turtle peak, hundreds steps and welcoming pine. Another regrettable route. We met the crowd again. Another advice, skip the welcoming pine, it was a market place. In conclusion, just focus on Beihai and Xihai area, and avoid the local crowd. After returning home, I discovered that the best time to visit will be the third and fourth week of October.

Visited March 2014

58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Awesome morning sunrise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We are there for sun rising above sea of clouds. We certainly imagined the view was so incredible. A young guy from Jinan was there with us waiting for the sun rising. He told us he has been waiting for the moment for three days. We are pretty lucky, we experienced it on our first morning atop the mountain.
The mountain trails are mainly stairs and very narrow. Benches are available at certain area for hikers to rest. Every spot has different view. Physical fitness is a must. Wear proper hiking boots or sneakers with a good grip.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank bambooKK
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Must see!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Absolutely a bucket list place, top of the most beautiful places in the world. Allow yourself at least 2 nights on the top to get to see enough points, sanest and sunrise are must see! Every spot has different view. Physical fitness required for the most

Visited November 2013
4 Thank nataliya n
Hamburg, Germany
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Incredible experience! A must see - I will come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was already very much looking forward to the visit, but I could have never imagined HOW amazing this was!
I was lucky to catch 2 sunny days and the view points and trails give you stunning views of this magic place! I wish I would have had more days and already plan to come back here for several more days at it is an eldorado for hike-lovers! The sunrise is an incredible experience!
If you are in the area - don't miss this! It will be a memory of a lifetime.

The trails are mainly stairs and sometimes very narrow (i.e. queuing if a lot of people). There are handles and rails on all the "scary" places and even though I'm a very experienced hiker, it is also possible to do be easily managed by "non-experienced" ones. There are benches and possibilities to take a rest available everywhere. The audience up there is thus also very mixed - all ages can be met and everyone at their own pace.
Even though it is mainly "paved" I recommend to bring proper hiking boots or at least sneakers with a good grip. Maps, hiking poles and other equipment are available everywhere for purchase.

How to get here: I took an overnight train from Shanghai to Huangshan (263 RMB for 1st class soft sleeper). Sort of oldish train but the beds were convenient and I had a good night sleep. The train takes 12h though (snake speed...). I found out afterwards that there are also busses available that take about 5-6 hours instead. There are even flights from Beijing and Shanghai to Huangshan. So make sure to check that as well if time is your constraint.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Luzifrau
Beijing, China
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful yellow mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

its my second time to be there. but just like my first time, falling in love with it. Most people like to visit there for sun rising with clouds sea, and also most Chinese artists visit for some spirits. It said,, also my regular client Mr. Lauri told me, the director Avatar, he came to Yellow mountain, and later he got ideas about Avatar movie. I agreed with him, and I think when you arrive here you must agree with him. I am so lucky, also met the sunrise, and got through mist weather, sunny, and small raining during my 3 days stay in Huangshan, yellow mountain. If I have a chance, I could visit there again.

Visited October 2013