Mr Hu Hotel
US$104
  • Pool
Old Street Hotel(Huangshan)(Great Value!)
US$28
Priceline
Xihai Hotel(Huangshan)
US$180
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable.

The restaurant is squarely aimed at westerners, but has simple tasty meals.

Mr Hu speaks good English (a real benefit for western tourists!) and offers free pick-ups and drop-offs to the local bus station for the mountain etc.

So far so good? Well...sadly I think you need to keep an eye on them.

I think I was overcharged for meals a couple of times, and Mr Hu was trying to push a particular meat and vegetable dish before I'd really looked at the menu. On looking at the menu the meat dish was 66 yuan (most cost 15-18 yuan) and the vegetable dish was 25 yuan (most cost 5-8 yuan).

I also arranged airport transfers and a tour to Hongcun. The price changed (upwards) twice. Also departure times suited whatever the driver was up to, not when I wanted to go - twice I was rushed to finish food/drink as the driver was waiting...a good 1-2 hours before I said I wanted to go! I ended up being at the airport 4 hours before departure!!! And at Hongcun the early tour meant I didn't see sunset.

Mr Hu has apparently been a big help to tourists in Tangkou - so by all means stay here. Just keep an eye on him and confirm and reconfirm everything!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Waddler
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

In comparison to other hotels, what makes this one good is the great service that Mr Hu provides and his family/staff. The rooms are cold (probably due to no carpet & all tiled floors) but the staff will help you with anything you need and they try to speak English (very rare in China). The full breakfast was good to have as well instead of Chinese food for 3 meals a day.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We did not stay at the hotel, but we ate there and used Mr. Hu for transportation to our Hotel in Tunxi (lovely Hui Boutique Hotel).
We arrived in the afternoon where Mister Hu picked us up from the bus station (we came from Shanghai) and took us to his hotel, to leave the backpack there over night as we stayed on the mountain.
The deal was that we would eat at his place the other day and pay him for transfer to Tunxi - we found that pretty cool and fair from him.
BUT: When he drove us to Tunxi (he did not drive by himself - he was the co-driver) he called the hotel to ask for the exact direction. He said in advance that he knew where the place is. But instead of taking us to the right spot he just drove us somewhere nearby (15 minutes walk away). He said that the hotel is direct on the corner. So we left the car and walked to the corner...but there was not the hotel! In the meantime he already drove away. Thank god we had the phone number of our hotel and that the owner spoke English. So he came then with the car and picked us up where we got out after a chinese lady explained him over the phone our location. So I guess this was a typical "I don't know where the hotel is, but don't want to loose my face. So I tell them it is there and drive away". After all the positive things we found on the net about him, this was a disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paros_2009
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My wife and I arrived in Huangshan late in the evening by bus and asked in the local restaurant that we were looking for Mr Hu's place and believe it or not he appeared like a Chinese Mr Ben. He transported us to his establishment and we booked for 2 nights in room 201, twin room was the only room available.

Lovely and clean, the room faces the front so a little noisy until the street noise calms down, but lets be honest we are here on a Chinese holiday so Tangkou is packed. We have eaten at Mr Hu's as well and recommend the sweet & sour chicken.

The entire family are involved and create a great atmosphere.

They also have taken care of laundry, as a chargeable service but delivered very promptly the next day.

We would strongly recommend this establishment.

A big thank you to Mr Hu and his family

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

Like many before we were picked up at the bus stop by Mr Hu. Unfortunately we had not read about him so took a gamble as we had no clue where we were going or how to reach the mountain. He mentioned breakfast including coffee, eggs, toast and hashbrowns so he had my commitment straight away.

Arrived at his hotel, had breakfast ( which was great) and he told us about the mountain etc. we booked a room up the mountain and booked a night back with him on our return.

All in all this guy is a god send, he sorts everything for you and takes no commission. As the directions to the moutain are pretty confusing and a lot of travellers just "wing it" he really is on hand to assist.

His rooms are lovely and well furnished, they are pretty cold but he provides thick duvets and blankets. The food is also great as we enjoyed another meal with him on the evening when we returned.

The only negative to mention is the room he sells whilst up the moutain, it's literally a cleaners closet behind the message parlour in a 4star hotel. There is no lock on the door, its absolutly freezing, no washing facilities and nothing in the room other than a bunk bed. We opted not to stAy in it and shelled out 80quid for the hotel.

On arrival back to Mr Hu's he gave us our money back for the room without any fuss so we were happy!

Thanks again!