“Best place to stay on the mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Xihai Hotel

Xihai Hotel
Ranked #3 of 451 Hotels in Huangshan
New York City, New York
“Best place to stay on the mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Agreed with previous reviewers, thank you so much to Leslie r. for letting us know about the new 5 star hotel. The rooms were brand new and what you would expect from a 4-5 star hotel anywhere else, which was a relief given what I have heard about other hotel options on the mountain. Some comments from other reviewers said there were no toiletries in the room, there is shampoo and shower gel and soap, but no lotion or conditioner. There is also free wifi but the signal wasn't strong enough to reach our room.

What really pleasantly surprised me is that I left something in the hotel room...I called two days later expecting to never see it again, but they had actually found it and mailed it for me to my hotel in Beijing! So thank you so much for that and I definitely think this is the best hotel on the mountain!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Arcadia, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed in this new 4/5 star hotel in the Xihua area of the mountain late April. You have to walk some distance to reach it after the rail station so pack light. The lobby is nicely decorated and the room is nice and clean. The hotel has wifi and it is a short distance away from the sunrise viewpoint. Since it is high up in the mountain, I don't expect your normal 4 star accommodations. However, there is no excuse with lack of good service. When I found only a small bar of soap in the room, I called lobby to see if I can get shower gel and shampoo. I was rudely told that the hotel does not provide them, I should bring my own or purchase it at the lobby. It would be nice to know ahead. Later, when I found out another hotel guest got a 1 page map of the area from the front desk. I went to ask for one and was told that there should be one inside the room. I told them I couldn't find it at the desk and was told again to go back to the room to look for it. Hopefully the lobby staff I encountered is only a small portion of the hotel staff that could use more customer service training. One other issue I had is the room temperature. I am OK that there is no air conditioning but my issue is actually we have no control in turning off the heat. We tried but heat kept coming out. We called housekeeping and they lowered it in the room. However, couple hours later In the early morning when weather is cold outside, my room reached 32 degrees. There is no screen on windows so opening windows brought insects bites. We ended up not able to sleep.
On the hotel restaurant, breakfast and dinner are OK. It is not fancy spread as others and I don't expect them to be. I tried their Huizhou celebrities banquet which is more of a gimmick. It is better looking than the taste.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank KathyCAUSA
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

There are two buildings at the Xihai.

We booked through an agency in Beijing who jacked up the price twice between our initial booking and then confirming - insisting that the price for foreigners kept being increased and that we did not confirm fast enough: overnight internet traffic. Frankly, that has never happened to us before and just shouldn't happen at all. It feels disreputable. What is more, we were asked to pay again upon arrival notwithstanding the fact that we had pre-paid. I put this down to mis-communication.

We quickly found that we had been stuck in the old building which is currently undergoing extensive repairs and updating (upgrading I hope).

The room, the bathroom: a notch above hostel, a notch below Motel 6.

The restaurant, bar etc... in the new building: VERY nice.

My advice: you HAVE to spend a night or two at the top of the mountain. Find a way to NOT spend it in the lower grade Xihai hotel building or get dirt cheap rates there. We did not get a good deal at all.

Staff overall lovely though. Real smilers.

Room Tip: Splash out for the new building. The old building is a bit of a con and just low grade.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnthonyHadenWest
Taipei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Thanks to Comments from Leslie R, otherwise there wasn't any info that advertised Xihai had a new building. And as Leslie said, it really turns out the new wing is definitely a 5 star hotel facility. The building is brand new. Rooms were clean and comfortably decorated. Staff were friendly.

The only issue was the electrical fuse box kept blowing a fuse. You need to flip the switch on the fuse box located inside the closet. The first time, we called room service and they came to fix in 5 minutes. The next 2 times of blackout, we flipped the switch ourselves.

• Stayed April 2013
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We discovered that Xihai hotel had open a new building with a 5 star hotel thanks to another comment on TripAdvisor. We booked and stayed two nights there (beware there are now 2 Xihai hotel buildings). After a small scare at the check in because they couldn't find our booking, everything went fine. The room was excellent, very clean, new, confortable which is especially remarkable when you think that you are on the top of Huangshan.
Price of the room was 1240 RMB for a double for one night, which is not cheap, but honestly it is worth the money. Buffet at the restaurant was not exceptional and you better come there early to have some choice. There is a foot massage in the hotel and this was very welcome after a 5 hour hike.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank MarsParis
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

This was my 2nd time to Huangshan--last time I stayed at the Beihai which was a great location but the rooms were damp, old and smelly. I was excited to find that the Xihai was recently renovated into a very luxurious 5 star hotel--the original property is still there (across the road) and you can book those cheaper rooms, but don't be confused when booking on the internet. When I booked,the only website that had the new rooms was Agoda. Luckily, before March 1, the rooms are half price due to low season. When we got our room we were disappointed to find a view of a concrete wall. So we went back to reception and asked for a mountain view. At first they said those rooms were 200 yuan more but when I protested and said the hotel was empty anyway, they gave me a room with a fantastic mountain view! The rooms were clean and beautiful--everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel and I'm pretty sure the nicest hotel on top of Huangshan.

The only disappointment was the restaurant which was empty--maybe because the hotel had only been in operation for less than 2 months. The food was extremely expensive (overpriced) and tasted bad. Even the tea was bad. Luckily we discovered on the 2nd day, that the nearby Paiyunlou Hotel had good and relatively inexpensive food. Just go outside the Xihai, turn left and walk 200 meters and you will see the Paiyunlou. It's the only close by option for eating!

Most of the staff do not speak any English, so make sure you brush up on your Mandarin before you arrive. Definitely I would stay at the Xihai again. Its the nicest and newest hotel you can find on the mountain.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view! The scenery is fantastic and changes every minute!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leslie R
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I think the place is setup as two separate accommodations facilities. The main building being a hotel, and underneath it, some barracks that act like a shared dorm hostel. This is where I stayed. The beds are literally wood planks with a 1" thick blanket on them. The least comfortable sleep I've had in China, which is saying a lot. They cram 8 beds into a tiny room, which is generally expected in a hostel, but this was tight. I've stayed in (much) cheaper hostels that offered more room. I was sleeping with my head inches away from another person's feet, and his head was inches away from yet another's feet.The shower, however, was excellent; hot, high pressure, cleanish. All in all, I was staying at the top of a mountain in a UNESCO World Heritage Site, minutes away from a sunrise I could only have dreamed of ever witnessing, so the value is there only for the sake of the beauty that surrounds it. If this place were anywhere else on earth, it would received a score of zero.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends