“400 yuan for Jeep driver, recommended.”

Yadan National Geological Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$129.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Day Trip to Jade Gate Pass, Han Dynasty Great Wall Ruin...
More Info
US$139.00*
and up
Private West Dunhuang Day Tour of Yumenguan Pass, Great Wall of Han Dynasty...
Ranked #4 of 52 things to do in Dunhuang
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I would consider this the first time in my life where I noticed I was in an area with low population density. It must have been just a few of us within a great km radius. It was peaceful and quiet. That's just my thought.

About this national park. I recommend paying for the regular tour. Then on top of that, I recommend paying for the Jeep driver (400 yuan extra total for the driver) to take your group (there were four of us) to drive you around further and stop at different spots for pictures. The advantage of the Jeep driver is that you have your own private tour, with less people from the tour bus (who would otherwise be in your pictures). Also, the Jeep driver will take you to additional spots.

It's beautiful.

I'm not sure if there are any Jeep driver that speak English. Fortunately, my partner speaks Chinese and translated for me.

1  Thank imd12xl

Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you travel as an individual tourist, this is the place to avoid. They make you wait up to an hour until they have a full bus load. Of course the tourist groups get immediate attention because of their numbers. The individual tourist gets the small non air conditioned bus. The tour lasts 90 minutes with four stops of 5 minutes 10 minutes 20 minutes and 10 minutes with the optional of paying an additional fee to be taken further in. We spent a total of 7 hours just to stand and take a couple of photos from the stops.

After waiting a hour while the ticket taker was still trying to round up more individual tourists. We boarded a bus and then a tour group arrived. Immediately we disembarked and told to board the large bus which could fix both groups. A a result the usual mob scene of 45 passengers getting on and off the bus for the quick photo stops.

The fees are many. The two tier for locals and foreigners is an insult for a so called national geopark. First you have to pay an entrance to the entire area and then you pay a gate admission to the park and an additional fee for the required bus. You are not allowed to walk the area. The reason why it is recommended is because the transportation to this remote allows the driver and car to make money.

The yardang landforms are located in many deserts in the world.

4  Thank TravellingNature
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We have avoided group tours for nearly all of our 5weeks in China however had little choice on this one and glad we bit the bullet and went - stunning.

The tour stopped a number of average stops on the way however the finale of the Yadan more than made up for this.

It's a long day, we left at 1pm, arrived at the site around 5.30pm to view a few sites before being in location for a lovely sunset at 7.30pm - we would highly recommend visiting late afternoon to be in the park for sunset.

One of our top 5 attractions in China.

NB. We went midweek, off-season so it wasn't packed which was nice. I can see it being far more busy in peak periods.

2  Thank TravellingBish
Reviewed 12 September 2013

A marvellous scene! From a huge lake in those ancient days to a dessert land. Rocks of varies forms were formed, you just can't imagine how long it takes to have these features. You may lost your way if you are going alone because it is a vast dessert and there is no distinct landmark for directions. Would advise to go in group. There are 2 restaurants in the vicinity.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Spectacular landforms. The land formations are unique and are truly creations from heaven. A must see before anyone exits planet earth. Google the images and you will get a glimpse of how it looks..but the pictures don't do justice for this wonderful gift from God.