“don't stay here”

Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Chaozhou
nyc
“don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

I travel to Chaozhou twice a year for the last 15 years. The Guest House and Chaozhou hotel are tolerable but this is gross. Dirty and breaking down. Breakfast don't- they do not clean the tables from the people before. Overall Chaozhou seems to be getting worse and it is almost worth staying at Meritus in shantou and driving the 45 minutes

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank edwardgb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

The hotel looked reasonable on check in... then it went downhill from there. The rooms are large but the beds are as hard as concrete... The air con in the rooms was the major problem. When it's 30+ degrees out and 100% humidity there's no chance of you getting any sleep. This has been a major issue every time we have stayed at this hotel. I'm told the internet is good although for some reason it didn't work at all in my room. We left some luggage with a porter to be delivered to our rooms and then when we got back from dinner and realised it hadn't been delivered I was not happy. We found it on a trolly sitting in the reception area, I asked the guy why it was still there and he said he wasn't sure. I picked it up and carried it all to my room.... nobody even asked me if the bags were mine or asked for id or something... Breakfast is terrible... eel isn't really my thing at 7:30am if you know what I mean. All i can say is that I ate a lot of bananas during my stay. There is a karaoke bar on levels 5-8 of the hotel - they can be load so make sure you're a few levels above. Overall it's a pretty average hotel but there aren't too many options in the area...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank spinspinspin

Travellers are raving about these Chaozhou hotels

San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is supposedly the best hotel in Chaozhou, so I have no idea what else to recommend.

The good part was the room was large and the bathroom was very nice with a great rainfall shower.

The bad is that there was a nasty smell on the 11th floor. I almost gagged every time I got out of the elevator. My room was OK until the second night of my stay when the smell seemed like it was seeping in. The bed was Asia standard on comfort...felt like a box spring with sheets on it.

Overall, Choauzhou is kind of gross, so maybe that skewed my review. You can tell the owners are trying to create a 4 - 5 star experience, but it just doesn't cut it. Out of lack of options, I might stay here again, but I will definitely try to limit my Chaozhou visits to one day or less.

Also, there is a fitness center but it had a chain on the door and the front desk told me it is only open from 2pm - 5pm. Who the heck is at their hotel from 2pm - 5pm?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin W
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was much better than the Chaozhou Hotel that we stayed in last time. Spacious, clean but simple room. Breakfast isn't too great and you need to get there early as it is a buffet and nothing is replenished. A very small amount of English is spoken, but that is more than elsewhere. For those like us who enjoy wine, there is a wine shop next door and a good restaurant (no English spoken) 5 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: High floor away from the karaoke club on about 6th floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Good and clean hotel. If your budget allows it, go for the higher floors as the 5th-8th floors are KTV floors and could be noisy if you are on the lower floors. If you drive, there is often insufficient car park lots during KTV peak periods from 8pm to 12 midnight, so you will have to park on road kerbs or the nearby building carparks.

Service is excellent, if you understand and speak "Teochew" or Chinese.

Room Tip: High Floors. If you budget allows it go for the executive floors - not much difference in price.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed one night in this hotel . The counter staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful especially when we conversed with them in Mandarin and in the local dialect. They gave us directions to some of the shopping areas that would remain open late at night.

We asked for a non-smoking floor in our reservation but the local guide handled our check-in and was probably not aware of our requirements. We were given a room, opposite the elevators on the 11th floor. Not only was the room dark and small but also smelt of cigarette smoke. We were bitten by something, which I suspect was a mosquito, as there was a plant grown in not so clean water in the room.

We called the front desk and immediately they agreed to change our room. When I went down to collect the room keys, I was surprised to be given a room on the 18th floor, as the elevators' highest floor number was only 16. The bellboy pressed #16 and when we came out of the elevator, he took us down the corridor to another lift which serviced only floors 17 to 19. It was a totally different environment altogether on the 18th floor, non-smoking and the room was bright and much nicer.

Many guests smoked in the elevators and we could smell cigarette smoke all the way up to the 16th floor corridor. Luckily the upper floors were serviced by a different lift and so remained relatively smoke-free. Breakfast was mainly Chinese food and limited but we enjoyed the rice congee. The staff in the restaurant were not exactly friendly nor welcoming.

On checkout, our local guide said the hotel wanted to charge an extra RMB 40 ( US$6)for changing our room from the 11th to the 18th floor. It was not a large amount, which we would have gladly paid had they told us initially but we were not told of any extra charge. We didn't even know there was a 18th floor and our request for a change of room was granted unconditionally and it was up to the front desk to assign whatever room. SInce our hotel room was prepaid, we told the guide not to pay the extra amount but to let the hotel settle it with the travel agency.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kaychan
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

The room itself was very pleasantly furnished and looked modern. The workmanship was obviously of a very low quality and this hotel will not look good in even a year's time. The wallpaper behind my headboard was beginning to peel and between the shower door and the bathroom there was a gap which I could have almost squeezed through - therefore the bathroom was soaked as soon as I had a shower.
There appeared to be no decent places to eat in the nearby area and breakfast was barely sufficient (speaking as someone who will eat Chinese breakfast food - if I have to!)
HOWEVER, I spoke with some folks who regularly travel to Chaozhou on business and they said this was the best of a pretty mediocre bunch. The staff at the hotel were also incredibly friendly and accommodating.
My advice if you are travelling is to try and bypass Chaozhou.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo