“Clean, practical and basic - good value for money”

and 1 more site!
West Street International Youth Hostel
Helsinki, Finland
“Clean, practical and basic - good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed in a room for three people without a booking and a got a nice deal for 180 RMB/room. The room was very nice, very clean and there was a beautiful view to the creek and mountains. There was a nice balcony with chairs too. We felt the view was better than the Li river view from some of the more expensive hotels. The beds were a bit hard, but still ok in China. The room was not like a typical hostel room, more like a hotel room.

On the negative side, the rooms can be a bit noisy. You might hear some music from the nearby bars and if it is a busy season the nearby rooms might have noisy neighbors. But if you don't mind using earplugs, you can totally sleep well. Well, sometimes some cigarette smoke came into the room....

For us the hostel and the view from the room was a nice surprise with a very competitive rate! We recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and the mountain view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

I actually thought this was quite good - reasonable price and friendly staff. However, it's not quiet and one of the best thing about Yangshuo is probably the feel of serenity so I moved to another hotel in a sides street to the main bar and shopping area (West Street).

As always if you are travelling alone and looking to meet people YHA is the place to go.
It's fun to stay at the YHA! :0)

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

I stayed here for about two and a half days (three nights), and highly recommend against staying here. Just for starters, it is a very dirty hostel. There are empty beer bottles lined up around the walls, the bathroom was filthy, next to the single computer there is a cup with an inch of mold growing in it. The room I stayed in was clean, and the beds were big, but the beds were hard (I don't mean firm... more like sleeping on wood), and FYI there was no a/c in my room. Also, don't expect a hot shower although it seems like they are possible at times. Also, internet is just one computer which is usually off and everything unplugged, unless someone is using it. Apparently, it is only free between 7PM and midnight.

The business practices here are dishonest, which I unfortunately had to learn the hard way. I was charged 120Y extra for booking a plane ticket (which I didn't know until I got the ticket because the price I was quoted was inaccurate). Even if I was told there would be a booking fee, this is about 3x the average booking fee for hostels in China. When I was leaving and tried getting my deposit and a refund for a cooking class that I was not given, I had to insist several times to get my money. They will charge about 2-3X actual prices if you book any activities through them (which might be as much as 200Y extra for something like a boat ride). They even tried charging me to help me find a place to get medicine.

It was very empty when I stayed there. At any time, I was aware of one other foreigner staying there at the same time as I. I was hoping to meet people so this was a downer. The plus side of this, I guess, is that you would mostly have a dorm room all to yourself.

The kicker is when, on the first night, the manager said he would take me out to a bar for drinks. I expected it to be with other guests but it was just us two. Afterwards, he wanted to "show me the river" and brought me to a very dark place by the river and tried, very hard, to kiss me. After I steadfastly refused and walked away, he said that I must not have been drunk. For any female travelling alone, this is something to avoid.

I can't say enough about how bad my experience was at this hostel. I recommend trying to find one of the many other hostels in Yangshuo.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The staff, dirty
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank makarios84