“Good climber's retreat on a climber's budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Climbers Inn

Climbers Inn
Climbers Inn
Sydney, Australia
“Good climber's retreat on a climber's budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Arriving in Yangshuo I was looking to meet other climber's and was told of the climber's inn so I went and Checked it out. when I got there I met the owner Li Lea who was very helpful. She even went climbing with me that afternoon. Good basic rooms with HOT! water and good pressure. wifi, cupboards and hangers for your climbing gear.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Climber's Inn, a refuge from the wonderful madness of Yangshuo, is tucked into a little alley in the center of town. As a climber it doesn't get better. My room is aptly called Lei Pi Shan - the name of a great crag in the area where I have many climbing projects (other rooms are also similarly named after climbing areas nearby). I've stayed here for for over a month now. If you've heard the expression 'the owner makes the place', this is it! Lily is absolutely wonderful. As a climber herself, she loves having other climbers over and takes motherly care of us. Giving us all kinds of info about the place, lending us her guidebooks, taking us out for dinners. The place itself is small but kept very clean. Meeting other climbing partners is a lovely bonus. I'll definitely want to stay here whenever I return!

Room Tip: The upper rooms can be expectedly a bit noisy because of the bars in the area.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

I am a climber, and CLimbers Inn is the best place ever to meet other climbers! lots of different levels, so you should fin a 'shoe that fit your foot'. Also, Lily is very very very helpfull and trustworthy. I moved out of Yangshuo after a few days, but I kept coming back there for advice about things around Yangshuo, where to book train tickets, etc... I also booked a tour to the Longji area through Lily (the price was also 20% cheaper than the quote of another hostel I had stayed at on the first night in Yangshuo)

If you are not a climber though, you might be a little bit disappointed, though it still is a good place to stay for the advice you can get from Lily on all sorts of things.

The amenities and rooms are OK, but average.
Mostly, you hear people from other rooms, in the corridor, and/or noise from the street, depending on which room you are staying in (I stayed in a few different ones). As it is in the centre of Yangshuo, it can be very noisy, with loud music late at night in some period. But then, it might have been so bad due to Golden week only.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Beijing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

My experience at Climbers Inn was pretty bad. I had booked at least two weeks in advance and everything seemed to be ok. They even called me in the afternoon to check what time I was coming.

To my surprise, once I was there the owner told me that she had very good clients before me, and that one of them wanted to stay in the hostel one more night... So I had no room for that night. She took me to another hostel, much worse, no wireless, bad service, wet towells... It seem to me they didn't even know each other.

After 5 years in China, I think this has been my worst hotel experience. There's no real common areas in the hostel, not very nice atmosphere and the location is right in the middle of the town, which means a lot of noise at night. My advice: don´t stay here and don´t stay in Yangshuo, all the other small towns around are much nicer places to sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Ohio City, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We visited 8 southern cities in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, last December. This hostel was the best of all the hostels we stayed at during our trip. The manager, Lily, is very knowledgeable about the area. She has great local connections and a friendly attitude and can help with arranging tickets, rentals, and discounts to local attractions. She also has wonderful recommendations for local restaurants with authentic food. Anything we requested she was able to help us with. You don't have to be a climber to stay here. (We certainly weren't.) This is a great hostel with friendly, knowledgeable service. We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed here during a 12 climbing trip. Lilly (the owner) is a very nice host and helps you with everything! Rooms are basic, but clean. Especially considering the price, I really would recommend!

• Stayed September 2011
Dresden, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I didn't sleep in this hostel, but came around very frequently to meet up with my climbing friends met there before. It's a really friendly and familiar atmosphere as the owner knows the forenames of her guests and mostly also what they're doing. There are two sofas in the lobby for relaxing.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo