“Nice property!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 434 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Sao Paulo, SP
“Nice property!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The location could not be more beautiful!
From our balcony we could see the river and a beautiful garden. The buildings are interconnected with mountains on one side, and on the other the pool and the river. Perfect!
The room decor was modern with good amenities but no privacy between the room and bathroom.
The restaurants closed too early and the food was not what I was expecting.
I think this property needs a serious restaurant upgrade in order to please western customers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

As the title suggests, this was perhaps the most perfectly located hotel imaginable. Sat by the side of the Li River on one side, and with dramatic mountains on the other, this is what they mean by idyllic.

So far, so good, but where the hotel scores low is on the facilities and services. Basically, there are none. Two restaurants - both very poor and extremely overpriced. The Western restaurant was okay (just) for breakfast, but little else. The Chinese restaurant was average quality food at a premium price. You would do well to avoid these and head into the town.

The hotel pool is a microcosm of this issue. A large pool nestled among the trees and with an infinity edge looking over the river. But no towels, no service. A pool bar that appeared to sell Coke and Sprite only. Not surprised that the pool - just like the restaurants - was barely used bu guests

All of this is such a shame as this place has massive potential. It has a kind of restaurant by the river. So amazing to sit, eat, drink and watch the bamboo boats drift by as the sun sets over the mountains. Except it isn't really a restaurant. More a collection of chairs and tables and an empty serving station. No staff, no menus. Can't even get a drink sent to the tables.

Three stars for the location. Two lost for the rest.

I stayed here as part of a two centre stay (the other being the Shagri-la Guilin). If they could somehow combine the service and facilities of the Shangri-La with the location of the Yangshuo resort, what a hotel we would have.

1 Thank Michael O
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel has much to offer-wonderful location, beautiful grounds, peace and quiet, well-appointed rooms. I would certainly stay again just for those things BUT...the service is appalling!
This was the 5th hotel we stayed at in China and so, in fairness, I am judging it against the standard we experienced at the others rather than comparing it with western hotels.

We stayed one night and, as there are no other eating places in the immediate location , we decided to dine in the hotel. We choose western food. Mine was not very nice but in fairness my son's was good. The staff speak very little English which is not unusual but they seemed to have difficulty understanding anything. I had pointed to the dish that I wanted on the menu but even so, they managed to bring me something else. I was halfway through my starter when the main course was delivered which I could cope with but....I had finished my meal and my son hadn't even received his (and I eat slowly!) He eventually managed to attract a waiters attention and the food came. I then (foolishly) ordered coffee and had to wait ages while the same waiter faffed around dealing with the coffee machine and then disappearing to do something else!

We asked for the bill which I signed having already paid considerably more than the total as a deposit. As we left, a waitress appeared with another bill for the same amount and asked me to sign again. I refused to do so as I had already signed another bill and certainly had no wish to pay twice
By this time I had had enough and asked to see the manager. There seemed to be uncertainty as to whether the manager was present but eventually a man appeared who said he wasn't the manager but was willing to listen to my complaint. It was obvious he spoke little English so I ended up writing a note for the manager!
. About half an hour later , at 10.30 in fact, as I was about to climb into bed, there was a knock on my door and the waitress appeared asking me again to sign the bill! I called my son who was already in bed, and he repeated that we had signed already. He then, in his pyjamas, walked back to the reception with the waitress and demanded to see the manager. After a lot of discussion, the matter was finally settled and it was agreed that I had in fact signed the bill!

Next morning we checked out-so far so good-the deposit was refunded and I paid for the meal separately. Our tour guide appeared and we were about to leave when-we were accused of "stealing" a cotton bag containing an information pack! I had no idea what this bag was and offered through our guide, to empty our cases on the floor so that they could search for themselves! They decided to "drop the matter". Our guide said that a similar thing had happened with one of his previous clients who had been accused of stealing a glass! Like us, they had no idea what they were being accused of.

So yes, I would stay again but only because the hotel has such a lot to offer. However, service does need to improve and soon. Looking at other reviews, the situations I experienced are not new and they have had ample time to address guests' concerns. If they fail to do so, they will not survive.

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel is nice. Rooms are comfortable, spacious, balcony is good. the scenery is good. The service is not 5 stars. The restaurant like everyone has stated before me are poor. Do not get the room with breakfast included, plan your stay so that you can have breakfast at West street. They have a French buffet for 48 RMB, it is worth it. If you want to stay for the beauty of the hotel then you must know that it is far from downtown. If you can find a taxi to take you, then they will charge you 30 RMB. But the chances are slim to find a taxi. You are better of finding a private car that will charge you 40 RMB, get their phone number! Call whenever you need them to pick you up and take you to the hotel. The gym is terrible! You cannot work out, the photos are a sham. The swimming pool however is very nice. The free bike are not good, that is why they are free. You can rent one for 80 RMB for the day at the hotel that is good, saves the taxi fee round trip so it will be like being free. Stay away from the Butterfly Fountain which is not far, it is a tourist trap. The bamboo raft trip is good not the one at the hotel, you will have to book with an agency. The agencies have a 3 hour boat ride. It is really 5 hours and you see the same scenery, the 20 RMB note, over and over and over. If you have good company, the hotel and walks around the hotel will be worth it.

Room Tip: river view is a good choice
2 Thank sergio g
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Good landscaping and gardens by the river. That's the only valuable point.
Expensive and very poor quality, specially the restaurant. The dishes they serve have nothing to do with the description and photographs. Servise no professional at all.
Long distances to rooms.
It is not a five star luxe, as priced and described in marketing.

1 Thank FranciscoG G
Aventura, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked thru booking .com first 3 days for 2 rooms and following that 2 more days for 2 rooms.
When we checked in reception did not have our 2nd reservation. I gave them my reservation numbers for both reservation they refuse to listen. Weather was very hot no air condition working in the reception area. Finally they agreed to check us in after half an hour. They advertise smoke free resort but when we checked in the room there was an ashtray in the room. Service at the restaurants are very poor. Workers do not seem they have much experience . Beds are like rock very hard I had hard time sleeping. Also there was very strong cigarette smell, coming thru air conditioning system(I think) until 2 am. For breakfast buffet , almost everything had pork. If you are Islam or Jewish you will have hard time to find anything to eat.Did I mentioned a lot of Mosquitos .
Good thing we were out of hotel everyday for site seeing.

Room Tip: Suit is double price which is not much different than regular room. It is not smart to get suit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were guests of the hotel for 1 night following a Li River cruise. Our goal was to see what was reputed to be a gorgeous part of the country, bamboo raft on the river, and see the much lauded Impression Sanjie Liu show.

Our travel agent's ground agents, located in Guilin, said this was the very best hotel in the area and one that would be suitable for our requisites.

The hotel's location and the property are magnificent. There are views of the river and part of the property is right beside a karst. We particularly liked sitting directly alongside the river at one of the hotel's bars.

We were upgraded to a beautiful corner suite that had a huge master suite with large soaking tub, TV , separate shower and water closet. There is a privacy issue. The bathroom is enclosed by a curtain, so it works only for those in an intimate relationship or travelling with someone who vacates the room while others are using the facilities.

There was also a generous living room with another TV, and powder room. The balcony was off the living room and had the most amazing views of the river. We could have spent hours on that balcony, sipping wine, reading, and watching the rafts go by. We regret that we had only the one night.

There were issues, however. The walls of the powder room in our suite had many stains. We shudder to think what they might be. The hotel admits to turning off the air conditioning at various times throughout the day. There were times when are room was a sauna and unbearably hot. We had the breakfast buffet included in our room rate. It was fine but lacked the variety of other properties we stayed in during our month long visit to China. We also had dinner in the same restaurant. The food was OK. Service was tentative. It could get old pretty quickly if one stayed for more than a couple of days.

Service generally is not the hotel's strong suit. I understand that this is a more rural area and there are staffing challenges, but even the front desk lacked grace. We did not feel particularly welcomed.

This hotel has the potential to be an excellent one, but it does require some significant fixes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple